pvk_EasterIsland

Comments

• schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited 9:09AM
    Looks promising. Your lay out is finished? Present it!

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    I like the second pic, very nice. But in the first pic, the wooden catwalks look too simple obvious brushes.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    Are you planning to make also those stone faces like on that island?
    That would be really nice
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • smokeythebearsmokeythebear Senior
    Of course! Why else choose Easter Island as the setting ^ ^
    Just wanted to know for sure icon_yarrpirate.gif
  • JezternzJezternz Senior
    Lookin damn sweet, keep up the good work smile.gif
    I'm new to lighting in source games...

attempt 1

attempt 2

(My eyes, the goggles do nothing!)

I'll post a real update when lighting is done.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    ohmy.gif Pretty! The glowing hinges on the door kinda remind me of the scene on LOTR where they open the hidden door into Moria (before Cthulu rips it up)
    imageimage
    Wow, the lighting is really good.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.

No it's very bad lighting!

Aside from the obvious doorknobs glowing (whats up with that anyway?) it's waaaay to bright and saturated. I'll post pics of when I finish the lighting in that area sometime soon, so you can see what realistic lighting looks like. I just thought it was kind of funny how badly I broke it.
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Hehe yea, players see something shiny and immediately think it's amazing. tongue.gif
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    The doorknobs are more of a cubemap problem I say. If not, then the lighting indeed is not good.

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Yes, you need a cubemap per area of large lighting differences so that the specular highlights match the lighting and scene in the area.

The map is looking pretty awesome though. Good work.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Feb 28 2009, 02:50 AM) »
    Hehe yea, players see something shiny and immediately think it's amazing. tongue.gif

We do like shiny things, it's true. biggrin.gif
    imageimage
    Small cave area I'm working on.

Just having some problems with water not displaying atm but otherwise progress is good.
    It looks, really beautifull
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (smokeythebear @ Mar 4 2009, 05:16 PM) »
    Just having some problems with water not displaying atm but otherwise progress is good.

I am having the same problem with a map I'm making. My map doesn't have any leaks but the water isn't showing as if it does. If you ever figure this out please tell me how you fixed it on your map. I will do the same for you if I figure out why mine wont show.

Your map looks fantastic by the way. smile.gif
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    If water does not show then you do have a leak. That is the only way water won't show, but still be interactive. Load Pointfile of your map is easiest way to find it. Also check to make sure no origins of entities are outside the map. When you select the entity the origin is the white circle that you can drag around if needed.
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Mar 4 2009, 05:57 PM) »
    If water does not show then you do have a leak. That is the only way water won't show, but still be interactive. Load Pointfile of your map is easiest way to find it. Also check to make sure no origins of entities are outside the map. When you select the entity the origin is the white circle that you can drag around if needed.

My map does not create a pointfile when compiled and has no mention of any leak in the compile log (I used the find function CTRL+F). I've searched far and wide in my computer for a .lin file but none exist with the name of my map.

The tragic thing about it is that I can't bear the thought of starting over so I continue to make new objects within my map and put finding the leak aside. I'm probably just digging myself deeper in the hole.

** /end Threadhijack sorry
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Mar 4 2009, 12:57 PM) »

Well, you do not have water if you do not compile with VIS, which is basically the same.

Wow, the cave looks great, the choice of textures is good.

€dit: Please make this happen

edited March 2009
    Ok water is working fine now thanks.

Are we allowed to use EP2 content?
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    If it's compatible with Ep1, sure.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Some more progress. Repurposed Aztec textures. Mostly finished lighting in a few areas I've already shown.

That looks really nice
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Looks awesome, though no sign yet of the characteristic huge heads.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Mar 6 2009, 05:58 PM) »
    Looks awesome, though no sign yet of the characteristic huge heads.

I have them modeled and textured, just can't find out how to import them. I followed this guide http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tut...ife-2-3ds-max-9 but when putting the smd file into studiomdl.exe no .mdl files are created. I'll try again today if I have time, if anyone knows if that guide is outdated or a reason why it wouldn't work please help.
    Just wasted a lot of time trying to get models into hammer. I'm not giving up yet but the sourceSDK is bad times all around. I'll give it another shot if I have time this weekend.
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    you have to create a QC file and that is what you compile with in the studio mdl.

This is my tutorial from a while ago on QC Creation.

First we need to create a QC for our model.
    So open up your handy notepad and make it look like this.

CODE
    $modelname "what you want the model to be named"
    $scale 1.0
    $staticprop
    $cdmaterials "where the texture is"

$body "Body" "location of the models smd"
    $sequence "Idle" "location of the models smd" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "Wooden.Large"

$collisionmodel "location of the models physbox smd" {
    $concave
    $mass 10.000
    }

Example
    CODE
    $modelname "kow75/kow_table"
    $scale 1.0
    $staticprop
    $cdmaterials "models/kow75"

$body "Body" "J:\3D Art2\3D Art\duckclub\kow_table.smd"
    $sequence "Idle" "J:\3D Art2\3D Art\duckclub\kow_table.smd" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "Wooden.Large"

$collisionmodel "J:\3D Art2\3D Art\duckclub\kow_table_phys.smd" {
    $concave
    $mass 10.000
    }

Whats this mean?

modelname is the name you want the model to be saved as after the compile and the location in the models folder of the game.

scale is a resize command to make the model larger or smaller.

staticprop defines what kind of model this is going to be.

cdmaterials is where you saved your texture in the materials folder.

body "Body" defends the main model

sequence "Idle" is the animation for your model. This is a static prop. So it has to have a idle animation.

surfaceprop "Wooden.Large" this tells the compiler what material you defend the model as.
    CODE
    [B]base_types[/B]

The purpose of the prop_data base_type is to apply generic, preset prop_data values to physics models. This ensures that in-game physics interactions are reasonably consistent for similar types of objects.

* Wherever possible, models should use one of these base_types instead of defining their own prop_data values. Once you have set a base_type for your model, it is not necessary to specify any other prop_data keyvalues - you have a working physics model.

* This table shows a list of the prop_data base_type names (and some guidance notes) available for Source SDK Base games. (A mod could conceivably use a different or modified list of prop_data base_type names, but this is unlikely.)

prop_data base_types in Source SDK Base propdata.txt (retrieved April 2008) base_type  Guidelines  Examples
    Cardboard.Small  Cardboard / Paper blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  small cardboard boxes, notepads, newspapers, thin books.
    Cardboard.Medium  Cardboard / Paper blocks, less than 3 foot cubed.  cardboard boxes, thick books.
    Cardboard.Large  Large Cardboard / Paper blocks.  solid cardboard boxes.
    Cloth.Small  Small / thin cloth objects.  shorts, shirts, pants.
    Cloth.Medium  Heavier cloth / leather objects.  briefcases.
    Cloth.Large  Large / thick cloth objects.  armchairs, mattresses.
    Wooden.Tiny  Tiny Wooden pieces that should die in one hit.  splinters.
    Wooden.Small  Wooden blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  pieces of board, branches.
    Wooden.Medium  Wooden blocks, less than 3 foot cubed.  boards, small crates, pallettes, ladders, chairs.
    Wooden.Large  Large wooden blocks, less than 5 foot cubed.  crates, benches.
    Wooden.ExtraLarge  Extra large wooden objects.  posts.
    Wooden.Huge  Huge wooden objects.  big wardrobes, bookcases.
    Stone.Small  Stone blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  cinderblocks, small rocks.
    Stone.Medium  Medium stone blocks, less than 3 foot cubed.  rubble chunks.
    Stone.Large  Large stone blocks, less than 5 foot cubed.  big rubble chunks.
    Stone.Huge  Huge stone blocks, less than 5 foot cubed.  enormous rubble chunks.
    Glass.Small  Glass blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  bottles, jugs, glasses.
    Glass.Window  
    Metal.Small  Small metal blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  tin cans, paint tins, metal buckets.
    Metal.Medium  Medium metal objects.  wheelbarrows, metal boxes, bicycles, barrels, ladders, filing cabinets.
    Metal.Large  Large metal objects.  ibeams, dumpsters, car bodies, refridgerators.
    Plastic.Small  Plastic blocks, less than 2 foot cubed.  plastic cups, plastic milk crates, phones.
    Plastic.Medium  Plastic blocks, less than 4 foot cubed.  plastic chairs, tables, barrels.
    Plastic.Large  Large Plastic objects, or medium objects with mixes of plastic & metal that you still want destructable.  computer equipment.
    Item.Small  Plastic blocks, less than 2 foot cubed.  plastic cups, plastic milk crates, phones.
    Item.Medium  Plastic blocks, less than 4 foot cubed.  plastic chairs, tables, barrels.
    Item.Large  Large Plastic objects, or medium objects with mixes of plastic & metal that you still want destructable.  computer equipment.
    Pottery.Small  Pottery blocks, less than 2 foot cubed.  flowerpots.
    Pottery.Medium  Medium pottery objects.  large flowerpots.
    Pottery.Large  Large pottery objects.  big chunks of wall plaster.
    Pottery.Huge  Huge pottery objects.  big ornate pottery vessels.
    Flesh.Tiny  Flesh blocks that should die in a single hit.  fruit, food items, gibs.
    Flesh.Small  Flesh blocks, less than 1 foot cubed.  fruit, food items, gibs.

collisionmodel this is your physbox

concave describes to the compiler you have concave faces.

mass 10.000 How much mass your model has. This is for physics.

Once you got it to your liking save it as your modelname.qc in the same folder as your smd's. [make sure you have all file types selected when saving] So you don't end up with modelname.qc.txt if you get that it wont work. It has to be modelname.qc

Next Step
    Okay now open up the sdk to the game mod you want to compile the model for. In this tutorial I'm doing it for hl2 ep1. If you have is set to another game. Change it to the one you want. Then refresh the sdk content. Its an important step to getting it to compile right. Now minimize the sdk window. [Don't Close IT]

Now go to your start menu and RUN enter in cmd and hit ok or enter.
    You should now see a prompt box.

put this code in
    CODE
    @echo on cd "%sourcesdk%/bin" studiomdl.exe -fullcollide %1 @pause

hit enter
    then put this in
    CODE
    cd "%sourcesdk%/bin/ep1/bin"

hit enter again
    now put this in
    CODE
    studiomdl.exe -fullcollide "location of qc"

Example
    CODE
    studiomdl.exe -fullcollide "J:\3D Art2\3D Art\duckclub\kow_table.qc"

Hit enter and watch the source tools compiler, compile your model. If you get an error you ether messed up on the QC or you messed up in 3dsmax/xsi.

Also you can use Valves Tutorials here:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Compiling_a_model

Or

use The program Studio Compiler
    http://files.filefront.com/Studiocompilerz...;/fileinfo.html

• J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    @Screens: I dislike the algae-texture. It looks odd if it's flat. Also the edges are too sharp for a ruin, i guess. Make them look weathered. The cave looks cool, but same thing with the algaes. The lightning is awesome again
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • wILLI wONKAwILLI wONKA Senior
    Looks great!
    Only thing I didn't like was those vines/grass overflowing/hanging from those steps, or whatever they were. smile.gif

The caves look kinda awesome to me.

I hope you finish it soon, *WANTS TO TEST* smile.gif

Make a easter-egg in there, it's an easterisland right? smile.gif

Something like the pvk_island one maybe?

-willi
    Wonka chocolate is better than secks.

QUOTE (Rock'N Roll Jesus @ Mar 21 2009, 01:43 AM) »
    The archer either gets cut into peices by the zerk, or picked off by the skirmishers. The Archer needs something more than a Toy's R Us butterknife.

This discussion has been closed.