Giving Freedom to Custom Mappers

CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
edited July 2008 in Dev Journal
Hello, I am CrackaPolly. I am a relatively new member of the team who joined shortly after the release of version 2.0 to help with coding efforts. Anyways, with the release of version 2.1 comes a new gamemode that will put unsurpassed freedom in the way mappers handle objectives and goals for their maps. This is culminated in a new gamemode known as Objective Push. It essentially allows the mapper to have anything in essence be the goal of the particular map. This is done through a series of inputs to info_pvk that allow the mapper ultimate freedom of the gamemode.

The new gamemode is operated by a basic set of options as follows:
  • AddToRoundTimer(float) : "Add time to timer in Time Based Round GameModes"
  • SubtractFromRoundTimer(float) : "Subtract time from timer in Time Based Round GameModes"
  • SetRoundTimer(float) : "Set the time for timer in Time Based Round GameModes"
  • ForceEndRound(integer) : "Ends the round. Parameter is the team."
  • SetWinnerTimeOver(integer) : "Sets the winner of an Objective Push Gamemode when the time has run out. May be used as many times throughout the round till the timer reaches 0"
The parameter options for the two win control options are:
  • 2 - Pirates
  • 3 - Vikings
  • 4 - Knights
Other numbers will cause a Round Draw.

Finally to provide feedback to users of what their objectives are a new entity info_objective_point was added. It has a field to specify a texture to render at its location. These can be enabled/disabled as objectives are completed and/or opened up.

Here are some examples from the map pvk_helmsdeep created by mapper Jahhur:

imageimageimage

The whole team is surely excited to see what crazy ideas mappers can produce with these new set of tools and options.

In the map pvk_helmsdeep the objective is to destroy firstly the outer wall wall and main gate. Then the fight moves to the main door to the keep. Once the attackers reach inside it is a fight to tear, gnaw, and smash the door to the horn tower upon which the attackers must blow the horn in the deep. If the knights can hold out long enough, though, help will arrive and the attackers will fail.

And some shots of pvk_helmsdeep created by Jahhur:

Comments

• CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    edited 7:16PM
    Excitement is only one of many great feelings I have about this game mode and the maps to come!

badass.jpg

• Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    !?
    That map looks like the one from Age of Chivalry.
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    Of course it does, there are quite a few Helms_Deep maps based off the movie.
    This is the same map Jahhur made back in march 07, but with a new game mode.
    http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=65742

badass.jpg

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    The only similarity of the two is that they are about a LOTR location.
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    a working helmsdeep map ! awesome biggrin.gif
    A Signature
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Will this new version have all 3 teams, or still the 2 like in the earlier version. Can't wait for this gamemode!!
  • ParaSwarmParaSwarm PVKII Team, Applicant
    2.1 should add some much-needed life back into the game. The new gamemodes are sweet.
  • sir iconsir icon Senior
    cant wait for 2.1 biggrin.gif
  • TheMoonTheMoon Senior
    Awesome! icon_viking2.gif

Could you explain what exactly the new possibilites are that you have with the info_objective_point? It sounds like an ordinary env_sprite to me.
  • PLAYLIFEPLAYLIFE Senior
    I think I speak for everyone if I say that we appreciate the updates you are giving to us in the dev's journal and we are all eagerly waiting for the new patch. Thank you smile.gif
    QUOTE (TheMoon @ Jul 7 2008, 11:59 AM) »
    Awesome! icon_viking2.gif
    Could you explain what exactly the new possibilites are that you have with the info_objective_point? It sounds like an ordinary env_sprite to me.

Right now the only thing unique is they render through geometry so no matter where you are you will see it, don't think that is possible with a env_sprite.

May migrate some things in future patches from other gamemodes.
  • Jean LafitteJean Lafitte Senior
    QUOTE (tehsux @ Jul 6 2008, 08:27 PM) »
    !?
    That map looks like the one from Age of Chivalry.

Personally i've played pvk for a long time, and this is a remake of a map with same scenery and the tower with the same horn that gave me 10 score every time i tried to play it.
    "Beware the salty dogs"
    *Grammar nazis you've been warned about Muphry's law*
  • [BD]ScurvySam[BD]ScurvySam Senior
    FREEDOM
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
  • newguynewguy Senior
    From the first pic of the map it does look a bit blocky and as though it lacks some detail. I think if that is sorted out then the map will be even more amazing. Looking forward to this; can't wait for the next update.
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE(newguy @ Jul 13 2008, 05:26 PM) »
    From the first pic of the map it does look a bit blocky and as though it lacks some detail. I think if that is sorted out then the map will be even more amazing.

It's not an official map. Jahhur spent more time on the official ones instead. ;D
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • Sonic7145Sonic7145 Senior
    QUOTE(Banjo Boy @ Jul 6 2008, 01:49 PM) »
    Will this new version have all 3 teams, or still the 2 like in the earlier version. Can't wait for this gamemode!!

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible for mappers to only allow certain teams on a map now?
  • TheMoonTheMoon Senior
    Yeah you can make maps with two teams now.
  • BenRydeBenRyde Senior
    Hey Guys,

one question:
    How can i reset the info_player_vikings, pirates, knights
    when the timer of the objective push mode ends?

Situtation:
    2 different spawn points for each team.
    spawn 1 enabled
    spawn 2 disabled

after they finished an objective:
    spawn 1 disabled
    spawn 2 enabled

everytime the roundtimer ends, spawn 2 is still enabled.
    i try a func_logic, OnMapSpawn, OnNewRound.......spwan...enable disable...just tried anything
    but nothing works!

does anyone of ya know how to fix this?

ya Ben
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    You could have them spawn in a black room, directly on teleports that go to spawn rooms, where the tele exits are in the same place as the black room, and when the next spawns triggered, tell the teleports to go to different locations
  • AkzAkz PVKII Team
    The output OnRoundRestart in info_pvk is fired when the round starts. You could use it to enable the first spawns and disable the second ones.
  • BenRydeBenRyde Senior
    i tried this first and it doenst change anything,but i will try it again..hope it works now..

thx!
  • BenRydeBenRyde Senior
    is there a chance to make a map with two different modes?
    for example, when the map starts its objective _push and later
    the objective will be to capture a territory, so territory mode with flag points
    for each team, as u know it from this mode...

would make things much easier wink.gif
    nope tongue.gif
  • BenRydeBenRyde Senior
    ok another problem:
    perhaps u know pvk_assault, objective map^^
    in the first round, so after mapstart, the player doenst see the objective_points, guess
    they are disabled or anything else. indeed they couldnt be disabled cause none
    of them works...after a round restart, anyone see them...
    pakrat problem or objective_point bug?