2.1 Underway!

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
edited February 2008 in PVKII News & Announcements
Hey everyone!
Well, it's been about two and a half weeks since release of 2.0. So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. However, there are a few fixes and tweaks we'll be addressing in 2.1.

Haven't tried 2.0 yet? PlanetHalflife.com has done review, you can check it out Here. If you've got Steam and Source SDK Base installed be sure to give it a shot, you can download it here.

Since 2.0's release, we've acquired 3 new team members. Crackapolly, our new coder, will be working with Akz and has already proven to be a valuable asset to the team. Also, from the Firearms2 mod, Rapid-Fire and Smilie have joined our ranks. Rapid-Fire will be doing textures and skins, Smilie will be mapping. Everyone give these guys a warm welcome!

As the title says, 2.1 is currently being worked on. I dare not give a release estimate, but I can tell you it's not far away. 2.1 will harbor a few changes, including some of the following:

pvk_temple
imageimageimage

As you can see there have been some changes to pvk_temple. As a whole the hallways are both wider and taller, which will make for easier mobility. The longer halls have also been equipped with tiny corridors you may find useful when trying to avoid ranged attacks. There are also some details that vary between halls, making them more unique to each other and giving you a better sense of where you are and which way to go when you get into the main room.

pvk_arena is going through some major changes as well, fixing the problems that come up in full servers. Most notably the unavoidable keg spam.

pvk_forgotten is undergoing some changes as well. The biggest change is the Knight's base, the new layout will make it easier to spot runaway chests!

pvk_island is getting some tweaks, mainly to balance out the gameplay a bit.

Booty Tag is being reviewed and undergoing some major changes. As it stands right now, we're trying to implement a system where the player not only gets to fight while holding the object of desire, but will even get a buff for doing so. The player with the object will also be easier to find, as we're adding a way of tracking down where the object is. This is still under heavy development, but if all goes according to plan, it will see 2.1.

Some of the other changes include bug fixes and class balance changes. Most of these are mere tweaks, but should help balance out gameplay all around. The port over to the new Orange Box SDK will not be done this patch, but we're expecting to get it working in 2.2 along with a new scoring system.
More changes will be available in the near future. Also, keep an eye on our site for a competition we'll be running soon (Most likely after 2.1's release). This will be a mapping competition, which we'll be announcing once we come up with prizes.

badass.jpg

Comments

• iScreamiScream Senior
    edited 6:30AM
    lolzomg first

So, any new classes in 2.1?
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • [BD]ScurvySam[BD]ScurvySam Senior
    So the new system will be implemented in 2.1?
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
  • mullen1200mullen1200 Senior
    good to hear, I like the booty tag idea.
  • Khaotic'Khaotic' Dinah #1 Senior
    haha *hug* to RF and Smilie, a warm welcome ^^ (welcome or welcome) they have been here more than me xD
  • DuckSauceDuckSauce May the Sauce be with you! Senior
    edited February 2008
    woot great news biggrin.gif
    also great my fav map is getting some changes happy.gif

and grats on joining the team guys smile.gif

P.S just looked at crazytalks post count and mine.. BLASPHEMY I HAVE MORE icon_stabhead.gif
    The sauciest person in the world.
  • CopetCopet Senior
    !!!! YAY!!!! Everything mentioned is great, can't wait for the new booty tag!
    user posted image
  • RexfordRexford Members
    Keep it up guys!

You rock!

Also welcome to the new team members (wish I could map and stuff)
    "I believe in this light I see."
  • TheWitcherTheWitcher Senior
    Good news, and aren't new classes in every full number of patch/beta, so as to get the development in some kind of order?

And prize idea: beta testorz! (ultimate prize for everything)
    Nobody cares...
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    Added screen shot of Forgotten

badass.jpg

• SpookySpooky Senior
    QUOTE (Crazytalk @ Feb 25 2008, 01:04 PM) »
    Added screen shot of Forgotten

Another big 'forgotten' issue is when chests are thrown in the water, they're VERY hard to rescue as compared to chests thrown near the chest area for any other team. Other than that, looks GREAT smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
  • VV Lumberjack's son Senior
    Sounds interesting, I will miss those days when you could take out an entire hallway of enemies with the huskarl special.. Temple has always been my favourite map happy.gif
  • SpookySpooky Senior
    QUOTE (Crazytalk @ Feb 25 2008, 12:00 PM) »
    Booty Tag is being reviewed and undergoing some major changes. As it stands right now, we're trying to implement a system where the player not only gets to fight while holding the object of desire, but will even get a buff for doing so. The player with the object will also be easier to find, as we're adding a way of tracking down where the object is. This is still under heavy development, but if all goes according to plan, it will see 2.1.

I HOPE there is a speed DEBUFF planned along with the combat buffs, else a skirmisher with a 'chest' = gg.
  • WhiteHawkWhiteHawk Senior
    This is looking really good. Without keg spamming in pvk_arena and with a more balanced Knight's spawn, 2.1 will be short of balance flaws, mapwise.
    And I like the idea that booty tag will prevent people from hiding in an unthinkable place for the rest of the round, even though I love doing it myself. XD
  • newguynewguy Senior
    News sounds awesome. Btw please add a glow to the special meter when it is full (I've suggested this in the suggestions part of the forum).

Looking forward to v2.1!
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    icon_agapirate.gif yarr!!!!!

new booty tag :twisted:
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • NichoNicho Senior
    That was fast biggrin.gif
    "You think books aren't scary? You can't spell 'book' without 'boo'!"

- Stephen Colbert
  • PhobosPhobos Senior
    edited February 2008
    Excellent news! I hope you guys go with the Holy Grail idea for the revamped booty tag. I just need two words to explain why this would be insta-epic: Monty Python. Now do it or I shall taunt you a second time! wink.gif
    [ˈfoʊ.bəs]
  • JanrokJanrok Senior
    Good news guys.

...but what about the flail? D:
  • AndypAndyp Senior
    edited February 2008
    What did you mean about switching to the orange box sdk? Does that mean eventually PVK2 will be running off the TF2 source engine? Or am i completely off the ball?

Cause if ever there was a game that would benefit from tf2's unique style its pvk2.
    Shot at 2007-06-27

Steven Segal should be the joker in the next Nolan batman film, he has the weight of many successful years of acting behind him,( well he has weight behind him at least), and I think he would do it perfectly:

"and my father turns to me and says 'why so chubby?', comes at me with the pamphlet, 'why so chubby'. Sticks the pamphlet in my mouth, 'lets put a diet on that belly of yours' aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd........why so chubby?"
  • Cpt.LaketonCpt.Laketon Senior
    edited February 2008
    im guessing the treasure will turn into a 1 handed carry when in combat but will go back to 2 handed carry when not in combat , thats some serious work
    user posted image
  • newguynewguy Senior
    QUOTE (|GR|Andyp @ Feb 25 2008, 09:47 PM) »
    What did you mean about switching to the orange box sdk? Does that mean eventually PVK2 will be running off the TF2 source engine? Or am i completely off the ball?

Cause if ever there was a game that would benefit from tf2's unique style its pvk2.

What it means is that they are going to make the switch to the Episode 2 engine which benefits from new stuff (type it in in Wikipedia to get the full list). It does not mean PVKII is going to look like TF2. Also don't worry if you don't have Episode 2, you should have installed in the Tools section of steam a program called Source SDK Base - Orange Box which will run PVKII v2.2 when it is released.
  • FearFear Senior
    Does that mean that the hammer errors will go away with that update? The hammer errors being the needing to run ep1engine.
  • Hubb Jubb ManagerHubb Jubb Manager Purveyor of Hubb Jubb Juice Senior
    Shame that Dev's don't answer PM's on forums...

But nonetheless... looks fine.
    Hubb Jubb Manager

Serving Hubb Jubb Juice since 2002
  • edited 6:30AM
    Its just an update in source code that EP2/TF2 and Portal uses. Reviews of the engine show that there is a significant increase in FPS purely by porting mods over to it.
  • JanrokJanrok Senior
    QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Feb 25 2008, 09:35 PM) »
    Its just an update in source code that EP2/TF2 and Portal uses. Reviews of the engine show that there is a significant increase in FPS purely by porting mods over to it.

Let us hope this port happens soon then! More FPS is an instant win.
  • -Valemarr--Valemarr- The Smiting Smiter Senior
    edited February 2008
    FPS ftw!!!. Nice temple changes. I always thought the hallways were a bit narrow.. especially compared to pvki (has anyone else noticed that hl1 mods then remade in source the maps seems a bit smaller?)

flail... tongue.gif i hope that gets in 2.2 or before.
    That one Teutonic Knight that used to smite thee.
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    QUOTE (Fear @ Feb 25 2008, 05:41 PM) »
    Does that mean that the hammer errors will go away with that update? The hammer errors being the needing to run ep1engine.

Precisely.

What's more is, we get more effects to play with smile.gif
    Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
    - Richard Feynman
  • Zen MetheusZen Metheus Senior
    Wow... this is fast! I'm still exploring Beta 2.0. I thought there were heaps of balancing issues to being with but as I'm learning to use each class to its maximum potential I'm discovering all sorts of interesting and complex balancing issues. I used to think the archer sucked but last night I got 10 kills before dying. I thought the HK was too strong but now it is so easy for me to beat him with a skirmisher 1 on 1 I feel something should be done about that! Dang! I'm going to master 2.0 and it'll all be obsolete!! But something does need to be done with the Pirate Captain - he is the only class I would call over powered.

I totally agree with the map changes - sounds very promising!

We do need a new scoring system too - I'm amazed at how the developers always seem to have the finger on the pulse of the community here. Booty tag has never been my favourite game mode so I'm not to fussed but players should be rewarded for picking it up.
  • AndypAndyp Senior
    QUOTE (newguy @ Feb 25 2008, 04:57 PM) »
    What it means is that they are going to make the switch to the Episode 2 engine which benefits from new stuff (type it in in Wikipedia to get the full list). It does not mean PVKII is going to look like TF2. Also don't worry if you don't have Episode 2, you should have installed in the Tools section of steam a program called Source SDK Base - Orange Box which will run PVKII v2.2 when it is released.

Right thanks, and dont worry i have the orange box so i have episode 2 tongue.gif.
    Shot at 2007-06-27

Steven Segal should be the joker in the next Nolan batman film, he has the weight of many successful years of acting behind him,( well he has weight behind him at least), and I think he would do it perfectly:

"and my father turns to me and says 'why so chubby?', comes at me with the pamphlet, 'why so chubby'. Sticks the pamphlet in my mouth, 'lets put a diet on that belly of yours' aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd........why so chubby?"
  • TobbeNTobbeN Senior
    I have heard some people say that the parrot will be remade, so that it wont be able to block anymore. Is it true? If so will the changes come in 2.1?
    I has a keg!