[WIP]Castle of Egmond

Comments

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited 12:05AM
    it looks awesome, the only thing thats is missing is maybe some mountains or hills in the skybox off in the distance with trees on them too. There seems to be something busted wit e shore there, near the left building - its all distorted. it seems like it will be a very fun map. if you need any help with alpha testin, just ask brother.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Since it's reconstruction, even the surroundings will be properly researched and reconstructed as I believe it might have looked around 1540.
    And since Holland lacks mountains and hills alltogether, the skybox will be VERY flat, and the sea is quite near, but you won't see it from the castle, the water you see are canals. As far as the emptyness goes, the skybox is still far from finished and more buildings, trees and canals will be added. Though al in all, the skybox will remain relativly empty.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Update!

I added some new screenies.
    I changed the rooftile colour, cause in most sources the castle had grey roofs, and I also added loads more detail.
    Also, if you look on the gatehouse in the second pic you'll see the insignia of Egmond.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Excellent work!

One thing i'm worried about is the fps in that long strip of land near to the left of the water and in the centre of the castle.

xq0LCrG.png

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited January 2008
    Looks awesome. My hometown (Zottegem) harbours Egmond's summer "palace" and a couple of statues. The summer palace is our library now. :]
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Where's that, Zottegem, is that near Egmond?
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    It's in Flanders. http://www.zottegem.be

Come visit! (your treat dry.gif)
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    This castle is in Egmond aan de Hoef though, in North Holland tongue.gif
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • Gez the HealerGez the Healer Amuwau! Senior
    Plz say those ramparts are accessible they look sexual.

Also glad to see a move away from 'duel' maps smile.gif
  • worstworst Senior
    neat looking architecture there cool.gif

maybe add some stalls or something to the empty looking area in the 4th shot next to the canal?
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Jan 27 2008, 06:37 PM) »
    This castle is in Egmond aan de Hoef though, in North Holland tongue.gif

Sadly enough it is, we don't have any sexy castles around these parts.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Dude if you need any help testing this awesome thing in the future, pm me up dude.

xq0LCrG.png

It's still far from finished, the research takes ages. so progress is kinda slow compared to other maps.

the hard part is the indoors, since there's less known about that. I've got some copies of drawings made shortly after the destruction, but nearly all of them are from the outside.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    let your imagination run wild then.

xq0LCrG.png

• RxDrThndrRxDrThndr Senior
    Just research compilation of relative era interior for castles, then basing on the foundation and where the walls seem to be left of the inside, construct the walls, and then decorate the rooms. If nothing can be found, as Mr Fried Chicken said, run wild.
    Well, yeah, for the blank parts I'm just gonna do what's most logical. And there are also a few other castles in North Holland from the same period (but are still standing upright) I could use as inspiration.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • edited 12:05AM
    That map looks hot, if you wanna know how to do some custom textures for it give me a bell. The architecture is awesome but seems to lack detail on the ground segments; I guess the repetitive texture of the castle bricks doesnt help that alot. Try working on giving it a rainy setting with fog and ingame rain, that would seriously rock.
    but watch the lagzor with that. the map looks really open and fps is crucial.

xq0LCrG.png

• Squeebo2435Squeebo2435 Senior
    Looks awesome... Keep up the good work.
    QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jan 29 2008, 02:25 PM) »
    That map looks hot, if you wanna know how to do some custom textures for it give me a bell. The architecture is awesome but seems to lack detail on the ground segments; I guess the repetitive texture of the castle bricks doesnt help that alot. Try working on giving it a rainy setting with fog and ingame rain, that would seriously rock.

Rain would make it lag to much, and yeah I'm gonna change the brick texture, and I know how to import textures, with normal maps. I just still need to take a few good pictures of a brick wall.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • QrushQrush Members
    Looking good so far, need's some light effects though. Like HDR? ^^
    I'll add HDR when it's done, it only takes extra time to compile when testing, so no need adding it yet.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • QrushQrush Members
    Ok cool, it will be really nice! smile.gif
    Update:
    This project is not dead!
    Added new screenshots to the first post, check them out.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    edited November 2008
    QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jan 30 2008, 02:25 AM) »

Perhaps making the castle look rained on, with a big semi-transparent texture on the sides of the buildings. Much like a giant spray to break the monotony and brand-spanking-new look of the castle. Is that a viable solution?

This is sweet map, I can't wait to play in it.
    imageimage
    love it fo sho

xq0LCrG.png

• JanrokJanrok Senior
    Yet another piece of awesomeness from the Trilobite!
    I had the honour to test the map with Trilo already, and it's a really sweet map. The fact that it's pretty much an exact reconstruction of a castle that once existed makes it even more exciting to play in it. :]
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Bump!

This project is still not dead! it just takes a LOT of time to research every thing and stuff.

Here's a preview of an unfinished custom model.
    I'm not done with the texture yet, as you can see the knees are incomplete, the whole back is also still missing. This lion will be placed somewhere near the front bridge. I made the texture from photos I made from the actual statue.
    I'll probably make more custom models where needed to make it even more accurate.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    That statue looks awesome! Shame that the map is deathmatch. That makes the map a bit less replayable
    (in my opinion) I suggest making it Holy Grail. happy.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg