Gestir Gameplay Video

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
Greetings!

Today we unveil the first gameplay footage from 2.3, due for release in December. The footage features first-person Gestir action, the new class joining the Viking team.

In the footage you also see a quick preview of te_sandstorm. te_sandstorm is a three-territory map based loosely on the old pvk_desertruin and being worked on by myself and Jahhur. More information and media will be available on that in the future!

In case you missed last week's post, be sure to check out the Full 2.3 Change Log!

Stay tuned for more media and information on 2.3 as we ready ourselves for release.

badass.jpg

Comments

• KrogothKrogoth Senior
    edited 9:07AM
    Lookin' good. Though wish the video showed alittle more on the javelins.
  • JasherJasher Senior
    I have seen this and let me say. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_viking2.gif icon_viking2.gif icon_viking2.gif icon_catapult.gif
  • skenvoskenvo senior
    Its...so..awesome. I can't wait to stack gestir with everyone else

The blood effects seem a bit...cartoony or exaggerated? And do they only appear with perfect hits?
    useful things for me to copy-paste at my leisure OR ELSE:
    It's Its so he's is IS Is
    S S S s ss s SS
  • Khaotic'Khaotic' Dinah #1 Senior
    Blade is a real killer :)
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    I'd like to have seen more javelin physics, nice video though.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    berserker is still my favorite
    tongue.gif
    A Signature
  • yinzidantouyinzidantou Beta Tester, Senior
    OMG
  • F@G!F@G! Senior
    edited November 2009
    If things were more open about this mod instead for this stupid American keep-it-all-secret mentality we would have known it long ago :-/

Anyway really cool stuff, I especially love the graphics, blood, effects et cetra. But it would be nice if you didn't speed up the video all the time, it's kind of annoying (for me).

PS. The Combat system looks great. This will probably become the greatest Half life mod since CS/TF wink.gif.
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    There are actually quite many javelin events for the length of the video. (Even one on a chest-special user icon_yay.gif )
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE (F@G! @ Nov 17 2009, 11:14 AM) »
    If things were more open about this mod instead for this stupid American keep-it-all-secret mentality we would have known it long ago :-/

It's better to wait with releasing videos until the game is almost done; otherwise you only get shitloads of comments on stuff that still needs to be fixed/improved.

Anyway really cool stuff, I especially love the graphics, blood, effects et cetra. But it would be nice if you didn't speed up the video all the time, it's kind of annoying (for me).

The video isn't sped up. Maybe you're referring to cutting the scenes after each kill, but that's only a sensible thing to do if you want to show as much action as possible. Just running around the map with a chest in your hands isn't going to make players exited, now is it?
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • BowrrlBowrrl Senior
    edited November 2009
    Using the Gestir is more difficult/balanced than the video implies right? It seems like it steamrolled everything pretty easily...

Although I'm sure you guys wouldn't have spent the last about 7-10 months adding and balancing stuff just to release an overpowered class, so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Looks great. Between this and the Teambalancer fix I'll finally get to play Captain as often as I like while everyone is dog piling each other to get on Vikings and try out the Gestir.

I like the choice of music for your videos.

QUOTE (F@G! @ Nov 17 2009, 11:14 AM) »

You have obviously never followed a games development before If you think that it is preferable for the Devs to not keep secrets.

1 missed implied release date. 1 unfinished/balanced feature. 1 texture looks a little off.

And everyone loses their fucking mind. Idiots are swinging from chandeliers, dropkicking each other and generally trying to lynch the Devs for something that they have never played or something that isnt near done being worked on yet.
  • F@G!F@G! Senior
    edited November 2009
    QUOTE (Bowrrl @ Nov 17 2009, 02:36 PM) »
    You have obviously never followed a games development before If you think that it is preferable for the Devs to not keep secrets.

1 missed implied release date. 1 unfinished/balanced feature. 1 texture looks a little off.

And everyone loses their fucking mind. Idiots are swinging from chandeliers, dropkicking each other and generally trying to lynch the Devs for something that they have never played or something that isnt near done being worked on yet.

Well you know it worked for Mount & Blade. Thing is, they just ignored the obvious spammers and noted the actual valuable criticism. I don't say I know how to develop games/mods (because I don't and my head hurts when I think about it) but I don't like always wanting information.

QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Nov 17 2009, 12:42 PM) »
    The video isn't sped up. Maybe you're referring to cutting the scenes after each kill, but that's only a sensible thing to do if you want to show as much action as possible. Just running around the map with a chest in your hands isn't going to make players exited, now is it?
    OK never mind I was tired after several hours of being educated.
  • Gez the HealerGez the Healer Amuwau! Senior
    Whats the song in the video?

Also yes; Gestir rocks

His pointy stick has so many uses smile.gif
  • JasherJasher Senior
    Using the Gestir is more difficult/balanced than the video implies right? It seems like it steamrolled everything pretty easily...

Although I'm sure you guys wouldn't have spent the last about 7-10 months adding and balancing stuff just to release an overpowered class, so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

from the looks of the video I am guessing that the Gestir has the lowest health and the second lowest armor in the viking team.

so he's sorta like the tough version of the Archer.

but I'm just guessing.

most likely the gestir's biggest threats are skirmishers and archers. and just wait until they add Man at arms.
  • F@G!F@G! Senior
    I think the javelin throw, after looking at the video in HD this time, seems kind of AoCish low quality (compared to Archer shot in PVKII), since you don't actually see the hand throw the javelin. Can beta testers confirm this or what?
  • miLkmiLk Senior
    haha, it so showed that it was blade playing, totally recognized the utterly evil and pragmatic gameplay. I need to work on those bashes tbh.
    [†] Templar

Deal with it. Rock`n´roll.
  • EinEin Child Protection Services Senior
    QUOTE (Jasher @ Nov 17 2009, 03:29 PM) »
    most likely the gestir's biggest threats are skirmishers and archers. and just wait until they add Man at arms.

Wrong.
  • SageaTzaSageaTza Senior
    edited November 2009
    What is the song name? i like it , trala la la la trala lao smile.gif
  • BowrrlBowrrl Senior
    The names of the songs are at the end of the video...
  • lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    2.3 will be released for Christmas or 1. January?
    According to pvkii.com/forums,
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Archer isn't overpowered
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    It said December, so I say, Christmas present!

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• edited 9:07AM
    Yeah.
    1 Question.
    What is that special effect on the Captain's sword?
    It seems a bit cartoonish/childish idk.
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    So the new god class has been born. icon_viking.gif

Huscarl only feels a bit useless now mellow.gif When you come to think of it Gestir has everything that Huscarl has but even more.

ps. Blunderbuss special explosion looks hot
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    edited November 2009
    That is the captain full-charging his cutlass. Those are the stars and shiny effects I made a comment about, I think I won't like em :/

And how dare you post a comment on the forum without being online on steam or MSN?! >: O
    According to pvkii.com/forums,
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Archer isn't overpowered
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
    Yeah, i just came home from work
    The Graphics look pretty O.K, the effects could be less shiny.
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    i think im the pirate captain at the beginning tongue.gif
    A Signature
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I always imagined a PVKII video with Gogol Bordello smile.gif Thanks Crazy, now i love you even more wub.gif
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    Awesome video
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • BadGuyBadGuy Senior
    Finally, weapons once again fall to the ground from the hands of dead enemies. I really missed that when it was scrapped. :)
    "if you lived near me I would've drowned you in a bucket of your mothers blood" - Wolfy Snackrib
    QUOTE (Sven Svennson @ Mar 9 2010, 04:12 AM) »
    Maybe I need a break from PVK.

QUOTE (BadGuy @ Nov 17 2009, 07:24 PM) »
    Finally, weapons once again fall to the ground from the hands of dead enemies. I really missed that when it was scrapped. smile.gif

you can enable it in 2.2 as well
    cl_pvk2_dropweapons 1

or perhaps that second underscore should be removed. No matter, the game will hint you to the correct command.

I'm kinda bummed that the fully charged weapon effects only show in the third person. Also, I see that this effect as well as the stun effect are a neutral white color. It makes these effects exceptionally clear to the player but doesn't seem to match well with the new orange box particle effects. They seem kinda out of place in my opinion and I don't have any better suggestions.

It's looking good, I'm proud of the dev team for this mod. You guys are awesome!