2.3 Steams Forward!

Comments

• Hell-metHell-met Senior
    edited 3:59PM
    QUOTE (ZinuX @ Jul 24 2009, 08:56 PM) »
    What new beard?

Shit you're right, it has always been like that

I don't know, his face looks better in this picture http://www.jrporter.com/pvkii/gestirmedia03.jpg

I guess it's just the angle
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    The accuracy of the Flintlock is based on movement. In terms of accuracy from worst to best you have, Jumping, running, stationary, and ducked stationary. If skirmisher wants to kite they will have to stop for a moment to fire to even be effective which can usually seal their doom.
  • ZizarZizar Senior
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Jul 24 2009, 11:24 PM) »
    The accuracy of the Flintlock is based on movement. In terms of accuracy from worst to best you have, Jumping, running, stationary, and ducked stationary. If skirmisher wants to kite they will have to stop for a moment to fire to even be effective which can usually seal their doom.

COOL!! that's ecxatly what i'd like to see in 2.3! thanks for the answer biggrin.gif
    Pvk userbars made by me:

just use it on your signature if you want.
  • edited 3:59PM
    I have a question about the new shield damage/breaking system.

lets say your shield has 40hp left and something that causes 50 damage hits it, does the shield break and 10 damage get dealt to the player (taking into account the amount of armour as well), or does the shield absorb all of the damage and then get disabled?

just curious that's all
    Pain is temporary, Glory is eternal!
  • unnamed2unnamed2 Senior
    QUOTE (The Knight that says Nay @ Jul 25 2009, 01:05 PM) »

lets say your shield has 40hp left and something that causes 50 damage hits it, does the shield break and 10 damage get dealt to the player (taking into account the amount of armour as well), or does the shield absorb all of the damage and then get disabled?

just curious that's all

Well i don't know but i hope it is the second thing smile.gif
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (The Knight that says Nay @ Jul 25 2009, 12:05 AM) »

just curious that's all

I think its the first one, otherwise you could just stand on a keg with your shield facing the keg.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    QUOTE (Zizar @ Jul 24 2009, 09:28 PM) »
    COOL!! that's ecxatly what i'd like to see in 2.3! thanks for the answer biggrin.gif

I think one thing everyone is forgetting is that in 2.3 the scoring system is going to be changed, and there's much more emphasis on completing the objectives instead of mere dueling.
    Of course the above doesn't apply in Deathmatch maps such as arena.
  • AtrevirAtrevir Senior
    glad they are making the shield more usefull.
  • Lord ScrotumLord Scrotum Senior
    Had a thought.

If you're playing Huscarl and your shield is disabled, can you still shield charge?
  • BowrrlBowrrl Senior
    I love what their doing to... well.... everything (Especially the Blunderbuss... My favorite weapon...), but I was thinking about destructible shields vs kiting and am kind of worried about the shields effectiveness now vs archers (since skirmishers are getting more incentive to fight in close range they aren't that big of a concern).

So my question is are ranged weapons going to be able to damage or destroy shields? If so, how is it going to be balanced?

QUOTE (Lord Scrotum @ Jul 25 2009, 02:54 PM) »
    Had a thought.

If you're playing Huscarl and your shield is disabled, can you still shield charge?

Well if you are playing Captain or Archer and you're out of ammo you cant use your specials so I would imagine not.

• RothgarRothgar Server Admin
    Nice update guys, each news post makes it harder to wait for a release smile.gif
    Dawgclan Network > http://www.dawgclan.net
    CustomFactor.com > Official PVK II #1 Beta 2.4 (-FF)
    21 Players, 33 tick, Custom Maps & More
    203.56.188.6:27019
  • GeleiaGeleia ロリコン Senior
    QUOTE (Bowrrl @ Jul 25 2009, 02:26 PM) »
    I love what their doing to... well.... everything (Especially the Blunderbuss... My favorite weapon...), but I was thinking about destructible shields vs kiting and am kind of worried about the shields effectiveness now vs archers (since skirmishers are getting more incentive to fight in close range they aren't that big of a concern).

So my question is are ranged weapons going to be able to damage or destroy shields? If so, how is it going to be balanced?

Well if you are playing Captain or Archer and you're out of ammo you cant use your specials so I would imagine not.

I think they will destroy shields too.

And the dev team should remove the "add -1 kill" when someone suicides. As they are changing to Point based score, there should be a point deduction, not a kill deduction.
  • Shadowex3Shadowex3 ѺϡϟᐝᕔᙰᔒѪҨ Senior
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (Zizar @ Jul 24 2009, 05:14 PM) »
    i'm sorry but it's more about: not using melee in a melee based game, that makes me think there is something wrong with the skirmisher

That whooshing noise was the joke, and a skirmisher, going over your head...
  • BobXBobX Senior
    I love seeing the Orange Box source being put to good use, but giving the skirmisher double jump is a bad idea. The double jump in TF2 can be used easily to outmaneuver almost any class in capable hands, a lot of the kills come from making use of the source engine's physics. It's going to be hell the first few days for heavy knights playing against skirmishers. Slash coming at you from the right? Jump away. Hopefully shield bash will help take them out, though. That little bit of height in the hands of some great players can make all the difference, though, on certain maps. Hopefully it won't require too much re-balancing.

One major thing I see in it, though, is giving newbie skirmishers some survivability against berserkers, now that pistol accuracy is reduced. Berserkers that catch skirmishers with the double axes rip them up like tissue paper. I just think there may be too many changes too fast in one patch. Maybe once the game's released for steamworks, you can release everything bit by bit and let the community get used to it, and get it tested in live action sequences, rather than doing a total overhaul in one patch.

But, I digress.

The new shield patch is everything I ever wanted it to be. wub.gif

The spear defensive mode appears to be interesting.

Blunderbuss knockback a la Force A Nature. That will give him a hell of a lot more survivability in an emergency situation, especially against berserkers and heavy knights, the deadliest (and one being the slowest) classes.

Hopefully shield blocking will negate a % of the knock back, though? Poor knights are going to have a hell of a time the first week of the patch. Archers even more so.

All in all, if this gets released onto steamworks, and gets a steam update news article about it, this could be one of the best updates, and most popular mods on steam, if everything gets pulled off just right. I can feel it.

And pleeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssse use the "update news" feature of steam, so we don't have to check the website every time it says "PVK2 has finished downloading", like people have to do with Dystopia and Eternal Silence. icon_grog.gif
    The update news thing is valve's fault, not Dystopia's.
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    edited July 2009
    You didn't play 2.3 yet, the double jump doesn't work the same way it does in tf2 and the hk can still take down a skirmisher.
    Tf2 isn't the first game to use double jump by the way, but surely one of the most imbalanced ones.
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    TF2 is great!
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • RedLunchboxRedLunchbox Senior
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jul 26 2009, 09:02 AM) »
    TF2 is great!

What he said.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    I like TF2, I dare say I'm quite good at it.
    However, I've not been on the mood for it for quite some time.
  • Scurvy BobScurvy Bob senior
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jul 26 2009, 02:02 PM) »
    TF2 is great!

and PVK II is even greater tongue.gif
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (gubbe @ Jul 26 2009, 04:51 PM) »

Same here
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    QUOTE (gubbe @ Jul 26 2009, 05:51 PM) »

Ya, its wonderful smile.gif
    I didn't play for about 6 months or more and when i came back i was just the same as before !
    Never happened to me with any game before.
    Actually, it did with l4d also.
  • GeleiaGeleia ロリコン Senior
    TF2 is much better than a game that I know in whichi you just kill, kill and kill. And kill again.

TF2 DAI SUKI!
  • RothgarRothgar Server Admin
    QUOTE (BobX @ Jul 26 2009, 01:51 PM) »
    I love seeing the Orange Box source being put to good use, but giving the skirmisher double jump is a bad idea. The double jump in TF2 can be used easily to outmaneuver almost any class in capable hands, a lot of the kills come from making use of the source engine's physics. It's going to be hell the first few days for heavy knights playing against skirmishers. Slash coming at you from the right? Jump away. Hopefully shield bash will help take them out, though. That little bit of height in the hands of some great players can make all the difference, though, on certain maps. Hopefully it won't require too much re-balancing.

One major thing I see in it, though, is giving newbie skirmishers some survivability against berserkers, now that pistol accuracy is reduced. Berserkers that catch skirmishers with the double axes rip them up like tissue paper. I just think there may be too many changes too fast in one patch. Maybe once the game's released for steamworks, you can release everything bit by bit and let the community get used to it, and get it tested in live action sequences, rather than doing a total overhaul in one patch.

I agree with most if not all of this, it will be interesting to see what happens. Because yes as we know, being on Steamworks means they can release a lot of small additions/fixes once it goes live and a number of these things may need to be changed. It's fine to have Beta testers but they are a small number in conjunction with the overall community and things will get overlooked.
    Dawgclan Network > http://www.dawgclan.net
    CustomFactor.com > Official PVK II #1 Beta 2.4 (-FF)
    21 Players, 33 tick, Custom Maps & More
    203.56.188.6:27019
    Doublejumps have been around since people took Sonic the Hedgehog games seriously, bowser was a loving badass in the middle of darkland with an army of tanks, and a "lithium ion" was something the final boss shot at you.
  • BanokBanok Senior
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (Mayday @ Jul 23 2009, 12:16 AM) »
    I really like the floating pick ups

I don't its too UT

But the rest of this announcemnet is sweet. sounds like some great ideas and balance is being implemented in 2.3, think its going to be really popular when it does finally come out.

especially that food is going to be like heal over time, love that! hate it when you lose a fight because they grab a ham.

PS: does this mean theres going to be a siege engineer class who builds catapult and scorpion style sentries?
  • JervanJervan Senior
    I like the floaty pickups, because since when did chicken lie on battlefields? Making it less realistic made it more feasible in my opinion tongue.gif
    edited July 2009
    I'm a fan, I just don't like the wierd glowy-background they've got. An alternative might be to have the javelin stuck straight in the ground and have the other stuff hanging off it...
  • BanokBanok Senior
    QUOTE (Shadowex3 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:58 PM) »
    I'm a fan, I just don't like the wierd glowy-background they've got. An alternative might be to have the javelin stuck straight in the ground and have the other stuff hanging off it...

True. yet 2.3 seems to have many significant changes, glowing floating food is not worth complaining about in truth.
  • RxDrThndrRxDrThndr Senior
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Jul 24 2009, 04:24 PM) »

Just a quick question. When moving with the skirmisher, will the gun stay stationary in the first person view?
    Because even though it would seem like a minor touch to do this, I think it would look a lot better if it moved around a little bit when the accuracy is affected by movement. It would be a better visual clue to the player that it's not accurate. (along with a widening crosshair of course).

It's not like he's a sniper with years of expert gun use, or a captain with a heavy gun. (Or a space marine who was trained in the art of shooting guns)

--

And yes, of all the things I could ask, I ask something horribly minor. I just feel like it would seem less frustrating to the player (and the rest of us due to their bitching) if there was a significant visual (and possibly BS answer to go along with it) explanation of why they can't kite anymore.
    Maybe then I can play skirmisher without people saying I'm doing it wrong by not kiting too.
    Can't wait for the doublejump.