Combat in 2.3

Comments

• JasherJasher Senior
    edited 8:19PM
    I liked the new combat system just by reading it.

congrats Peepeewilson on becoming beta tester biggrin.gif
  • Shadowex3Shadowex3 ѺϡϟᐝᕔᙰᔒѪҨ Senior
    Secret beta tester inf on 2.3: Combat involves hitting people with things.
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    QUOTE (Shadowex3 @ Jul 6 2009, 08:06 PM) »

Castrate this man immediately.
  • EinEin Child Protection Services Senior
    Omg! A leak!

May an army of thousand of skilled all-mowing zerkers in RAGE chop of your beloved GEMS of MANLINESS before the entire concept gets PUBLISHED on YOUTUBE so EVERYONE can see your never-ending agony and removal of the NADS!
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (Shadowex3 @ Jul 6 2009, 10:06 PM) »

Say "bye-bye" to your balls
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • HijakHijak Senior
    cry all you want but 2.3 is coming out either way. Bitching about it is like bitching about the next episode of your favorite show coming out. Or that the sun is going to come up tomorrow. What are you gonna do? thats right nothing! The point is to have fun, if the game is no longer fun then don't play it, if it is play it.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    QUOTE (Hijak @ Jul 7 2009, 06:00 PM) »
    cry all you want but 2.3 is coming out either way. Bitching about it is like bitching about the next episode of your favorite show coming out. Or that the sun is going to come up tomorrow. What are you gonna do? thats right nothing! The point is to have fun, if the game is no longer fun then don't play it, if it is play it.

this didn't take anyone anywhere I'm afraid. icon_yay.gif
  • HijakHijak Senior
    QUOTE (gubbe @ Jul 7 2009, 07:13 PM) »
    this didn't take anyone anywhere I'm afraid. icon_yay.gif

im okay with that. really the only post that matters is the first one anyways.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    QUOTE (Hijak @ Jul 7 2009, 10:13 PM) »
    im okay with that. really the only post that matters is the first one anyways.

or is it?
    http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=9262
  • .improv.improv Senior
    well as ive been sitting back waiting for this damn update and reading all the posts about the new combat system i havent even cared to post anything. but damnit, this new system is gonna blow cock. all youre doing is making it noob friendly. the game isnt even going to be intense anymore. when you say that the one on the defense has the upperhand, you are completely wrong. the 2.2 system is perfect because whoever wins a fight is PURELY based on SKILL. the better player wins without a doubt. and now that EVERYONE can magicly perfect parry this shit isnt even going to be fun. 2.3 is going a slightly faster age of chivalry. which in a piece of shit mod. i played AOC for a while and i kinda liked it, then i found PVK. i fuckin love medieval shit like this and when i found PVK is was just like "fuck yes!!! age of chivalry has been perfected!" i love pvk 2.2 for its intensity and how in-depth it is. but now youre all going to fuck it up and i am very disappointed. and since youre switching it to the orange box enging there will be NO BUNNYHOPPING. which is going to make this entire game a playground for skirms. theres no way to catch up to skirms now, unless of course they suck. its going to be so dull. when 2.3 comes out there will no longer be anything special about this mod, it will be nothing. dont get me wrong i will try it, and most likely hate it. im not saying im not going to give 2.3 a chance. i just know its going to be NOWHERE near what 2.2 is. youre taking the best, most unique features of this mod away. and everyone talking about these "staring contests" are full of shit. when youre in one of these "staring contest" thats why u outsmart the other dude fake him out and TAKE CONTROL of the fight and win. 2.3 MIGHT not suck, but one thing is for sure, its going to be nothing compared to 2.2 and it will be missed very much.
  • mrmongmrmong Senior
    how do you know when you havent tried it yet. Infact i stopped reading about halfway through because its the same tired shit thats been repeated and explained over many times on this forum.
  • edited 8:19PM
    Gf.2.2
    Viking base getting down by one man

Can someone please explain me how the fight's will be
    When you're fighting 3/4 ppl?
    Auto-Block seems to ruin Gang fights

• Scurvy BobScurvy Bob senior
    QUOTE (.improv @ Jul 11 2009, 09:29 PM) »
    well as ive been sitting back waiting for this damn update and reading all the posts about the new combat system i havent even cared to post anything. but damnit, this new system is gonna blow cock. all youre doing is making it noob friendly. the game isnt even going to be intense anymore. when you say that the one on the defense has the upperhand, you are completely wrong. the 2.2 system is perfect because whoever wins a fight is PURELY based on SKILL. the better player wins without a doubt. and now that EVERYONE can magicly perfect parry this shit isnt even going to be fun. 2.3 is going a slightly faster age of chivalry. which in a piece of shit mod. i played AOC for a while and i kinda liked it, then i found PVK. i fuckin love medieval shit like this and when i found PVK is was just like "fuck yes!!! age of chivalry has been perfected!" i love pvk 2.2 for its intensity and how in-depth it is. but now youre all going to fuck it up and i am very disappointed. and since youre switching it to the orange box enging there will be NO BUNNYHOPPING. which is going to make this entire game a playground for skirms. theres no way to catch up to skirms now, unless of course they suck. its going to be so dull. when 2.3 comes out there will no longer be anything special about this mod, it will be nothing. dont get me wrong i will try it, and most likely hate it. im not saying im not going to give 2.3 a chance. i just know its going to be NOWHERE near what 2.2 is. youre taking the best, most unique features of this mod away. and everyone talking about these "staring contests" are full of shit. when youre in one of these "staring contest" thats why u outsmart the other dude fake him out and TAKE CONTROL of the fight and win. 2.3 MIGHT not suck, but one thing is for sure, its going to be nothing compared to 2.2 and it will be missed very much.

dude..
    When I read about the combat changes I was skeptical too...
    BUT when the new system really isnt good, Im sure the devs will search a good solution for it.
    I would just have decrease the stun of the perfect parry to 1 second + make full charged attacks break through PPs. Thats all.
    Lets see what the new system will bring.
    true,but i still wonder how it will be when fighting more then 2/3 at the same time?
  • .improv.improv Senior
    please dont forget a very important point of that post. you are taking the best, most unique features of this mod away.
  • miLkmiLk Senior
    edited July 2009
    Everyone could "pp" in 1.0 and 1.1. zomg, whats the fuzz?
    [†] Templar

Deal with it. Rock`n´roll.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    QUOTE (.improv @ Jul 11 2009, 09:55 PM) »
    please dont forget a very important point of that post. you are taking the best, most unique features of this mod away.

no sir
    I wonder if lets say a heavyknight is still able to block within almost zero seconds? I think his block needs to be slightly slower.
  • .improv.improv Senior
    yeah thats a nice response gubbe.....

yes sir, they are taking away those best features of the game. four directions of blocking is what makes pvk so intense. i bet its going to be no better than age of chivalry.
  • lion989lion989 Senior
    yeah. they are giving an "auto-parry". so you dont have to be good at the GAME any more all you have to do is be good at pushing Mouse2.

they definitely are taking away the best part of this game (and the whole reason i played it, the parry system), so all you kids disagreeing with improv are straight up unintelligent. grow a brain please? ;-D

directional parrying= the shit.
    automatic parrying= GAY.
    SCHMOKE VEED! SUPPORT METAL MUSIC! PLAY VIDEO GAMES!
    .lion
    Damage Inc
  • .improv.improv Senior
    I wonder if lets say a heavyknight is still able to block within almost zero seconds? I think his block needs to be slightly slower.

yes i agree with you there. if a pro gets on heavy knight he is nearly unstoppable because all that damn armor.
    You can switch between automatic blocking and manual blocking in 2.3, http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=9232
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    QUOTE (lion989 @ Jul 12 2009, 06:04 PM) »
    automatic parrying= GAY.

Seriously? Cry me a river...
    imageimage
  • amalrikamalrik Senior
    Could people stop whining about a version they never tried ? Stop crying out loud like afraid virgins. Or we ll really think you are no men

just w8 & c
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (lion989 @ Jul 12 2009, 02:04 AM) »
    yeah. they are giving an "auto-parry". so you dont have to be good at the GAME any more all you have to do is be good at pushing Mouse2.

they definitely are taking away the best part of this game (and the whole reason i played it, the parry system), so all you kids disagreeing with improv are straight up unintelligent. grow a brain please? ;-D

automatic parrying= GAY.

Like I say often in servers nowadays: And nothing of value will be lost.

If you're that obsessed with abusing a broken system which rewards non-playing and being good at pushing Mouse2 to autowin against anyone without a 2hander or who actually bothers to PLAY THE GAME instead of actually choosing when to attack with which weapon and from what direction you should just go back to playing 1.0 and duckjumping around the map holding mouse2.

Now i expect you to try calling us "scrubs" next but the truth is you don't know the first thing about what that means. In a BALANCED game blocking is one option of many and can be countered by at least one of those options while being the counter to at least one of the others. In PVK2 blocking, if you can do it, has no counter and is a mathematically guaranteed victory for any 2hander. That is by definition broken, and trying to defend that is not scrub logic but just stupid. Sirlin defines a scrub as "a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about". You should be interested in this because YOU are a scrub. You are trying to defend a fundamentally broken system which in effect turns the entire game into block vs block because of it's utter lack of counters. It's kinda ironic that you're arguing against balancing the block system because Sirlin originally defined a scrub in terms of someone who doesn't use throws, which were designed as the counter to the otherwise extremely powerful block system in Street Fighter.

The only things changing in 2.3 are that you'll be able to automatically block in the direction of the nearest incoming attack IF you don't choose to override that system, and fully charged attacks will be able to counter players who do nothing but sit and block. If adding more options to gameplay is your idea of killing the game perhaps you should go to a smash brothers tournament and try to sell them on the idea that shielding should protect you from grabs. I'm sure they'll be willing to enlighten you, repeatedly.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (.improv @ Jul 12 2009, 06:03 AM) »
    yeah thats a nice response gubbe.....

yes sir, they are taking away those best features of the game. four directions of blocking is what makes pvk so intense. i bet its going to be no better than age of chivalry.

sigh....
    The parry directions are not going anywhere.
    Besides yoiu can choose whether you want to use the new system or not.
    Do us a favor and go back to 1.0
    Brilliant Shadowex3, you quote Sirlin's definition of scrub, ignore it and substitute your own. And what's this about mathematically guaranteed victories?

I say this as someone who's hopeful about the changes in 2.3 but statements like yours are part of the reason why some people don't trust the beta testers when they say everything is going to be alright!!
    edited July 2009
    Maybe if you'd read the WHOLE thing you'd know I was still pretty much just quoting Sirlin. To use his Street Fighter analogy someone who refuses to use throws because they're "cheap" is just as much a scrub as someone who tries to defend Akuma as a usable character. Try reading more than just the parts that you agree with next time, Sirlin's actually pretty harsh on broken systems like PVK2's blocking has been so far.

Or to put it more bitterly: Brilliant Friggin, you recognize Sirlin's definition of a scrub but didn't bother reading the rest of what he said so you come off sounding like an arrogant tool trying to claim someone was agreeing with them when if you'd only kept reading you'd know that they were actually saying the exact opposite the whole time.

Just to put a definitive end in this since I doubt you'll go off and read it yourself:

Most characters in that game cannot beat Akuma. I don't mean it's a tough match--I mean they cannot ever, ever, ever, ever win. Akuma is "broken" in that his air fireball move is something the game simply wasn't designed to handle.

And from another article of his:
    The worst thing you can have in a competitive multiplayer game is a dominant move (or weapon, character, unit, whatever). I don’t mean a move that is merely good, I mean a move that is strictly better than any other you could do, so its very existence reduces the strategy of the game. A dominant move also probably has no real counter, so even if the opponent knows you will do it, there’s not a lot he can do.

Blocking as it is now is PVK2's Akuma. The only counter to blocking, if they have a 2hander, is to use ranged weapons. Essentially it negates melee from the game entirely and your only option is either going ranged or trying the rather suicidal tactic of winning via shieldbashes alone. Either option is not available to everyone and neither option is particularly ideal because they're both very easily circumventable by the person you're supposedly countering (switch to their shield or just keep hitting you). What this does is it reduces the strategy of the game. Whenever someone who Can Block (deserves capitalization) is on the server the entire game is effectively reduced to dealing with that one nearly invincible player before he kills everyone else in the room without very much effort.

2.3 attempts to balance this out in two ways. First you've got the reduction of the entry barrier for blocking that lets everyone have a chance at defending themselves in basic 1v1 situations but it's an unintelligent autoblocker, it only blocks based on the nearest player. You'll still be able to mindgame people into attacking your blocks, you'll still be able to mindgame them into taking an attack instead of blocking, and you'll definitely be able to hit them when they're blocking someone else's (or just plain wrong) attack direction instead of yours. As a counter to THAT getting out of hand as well as the still-existing manual blocking you've got charged hits acting as block breakers. That means the 2handers can just smash their way into someone's block if it gets out of hand, and with the parry stuns altered attacking a 2hander that Can Block as a light class is no longer suicidal.

Which means that the real difference here is not that the skill curve has changed, or that the game has become less deep, what's changed is that there are now multiple viable options in every situation instead of the game constantly crystallizing into either ranged or a staring contest.
    b-but you do realise that Sirlin is an arrogant tool too??

n e way obv. Sirlin doesn't defend broken balance (setting aside for the moment whether 2.2 is or isn't broken) but he also doesn't say that someone defending Akuma as a usable character is a scrub as you claim he does.

Sirlin defines a scrub as "a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about". You should be interested in this because YOU are a scrub. You are trying to defend a fundamentally broken system which in effect turns the entire game into block vs block because of it's utter lack of counters.

that is not a scrub regardless of how broken 2.2 may or may not be!
    come on make your counter post man, i dare you

i'm operating on posting yomi levels you can't even comprehend