Introducing the Gestir

Comments

• Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    edited 4:01PM
    QUOTE (thezulu @ Apr 15 2009, 12:02 PM) »
    Gestir looks like robin hood in the last pictures. icon_whistling.gif

wtf?
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Not bad, but i have to admit that this isn't the best of Jrockets models. He looks a bit like a garden gnome.

I hope adding the shields and javelins to his back will make him look more warlike like Huscarl and Zerker.
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
  • BanokBanok Senior
    I hope the length of the spear can be extended also, looks like a 1 handed spear atm
  • JasherJasher Senior
    from the looks of it the Gestir is going to be about as fast as the archer and have around the same amount of armor as the skirmisher
  • .Var.Var Senior
    When exactly is this thing hitting the shelfs, its been ages since and actual content update, and it is finished, correct?
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    and it is finished, correct?

Yeano.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    Forgive me for my impatience but if the Gestir is completed
    along with the new updates on the levels then is 2.3 ready to
    released now or if not then what is there left to do.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • Scurvy BobScurvy Bob senior
    QUOTE (Paladin @ Apr 16 2009, 12:27 PM) »
    Forgive me for my impatience but if the Gestir is completed
    along with the new updates on the levels then is 2.3 ready to
    released now or if not then what is there left to do.

- facial expressions arent finished I think
    - some animations of the gestir ( taking the javelin/spear from the back)
    - maybe some bug fixes
    - map polishing

just a few things that came to my mind, dont know if all of them are right
  • bERt0rbERt0r Senior
    Will the Gestir be somewhat of a counter to parry whoring heavy knights? e.g. A thrust with a spear has only one direction and cant be perfect parried, though shields would be very effective against it?
    Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, somthing to something, Yaarrrrrgh!
    I be pro grammar!
  • EinEin Child Protection Services Senior
    Bertor is incorrect; you can use a spear to slash, hack and stab, thus the same block mechanism.
    And to beat a parrywhore, you need to attack at certain moments and watch his moves; example when in groups, you should attack him the moment he counter attacks someone else.
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited April 2009
    Hyde is almost correct, the most viking spear were only for stabbing, and you had for who could afford it a spear
    wich could slash too. The Gestir is most likely to have a spear wich is able to slash people though happy.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • JasherJasher Senior
    edited April 2009
    ok after studying the model of the Gestir I have made up a little story about him.

STORY

once upon a time there was a young Viking who fought in some of the great viking wars . many years later when he was old he got a letter inviting him to a great event called pirates vikings and knights 2.
    The Gestir thought that this was going to be a party so he dressed himself up in his finest clothes and but his beard in a bow.He also took with him some of his old weapons and his helmet that he used in the great viking wars many years ago so he could show them off to other Vikings. when he got to the event he was surprised to find that it was not a party but a war. so he put on his helmet and took his weapons and yelled YOU ARE NO MAN! and rushed into battle.
    icon_yay.gif
  • EinEin Child Protection Services Senior
    The gestir is just an improvised partyman. Intresting.

I can see the guy yelling at the arrival: THIS IS NO PARTY!

Followed by DJ BIDS US PACE
  • KolovskyKolovsky Senior
    icon_yarrpirate.gif Cool Awesome Spear biggrin.gif
  • Slayer9112Slayer9112 Senior
    I am so going to play Gestir and try him out. Perhaps he is the answer against the Archers the vikings really need. smile.gif It's going to be fun tossing spears into the faces of archers. icon_agapirate.gif
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    The huscarl already eats archers alive! :x
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • FrazzFrazz Senior
    i honestly think the model look like crap, he looks way to dark to be a viking, just looks like a wuss. and one of those screenshots he looks mental... like retarded... but hey, a retarded curry viking? Im down.

oh and yeah who said that about the spear looking like its a 1 hand spear? what the fuck is a 1 hand spear?
    edited April 2009
    QUOTE (Frazz @ Apr 17 2009, 08:20 PM) »
    i honestly think the model look like crap, he looks way to dark to be a viking, just looks like a wuss. and one of those screenshots he looks mental... like retarded... but hey, a retarded curry viking? Im down.

oh and yeah who said that about the spear looking like its a 1 hand spear? what the fuck is a 1 hand spear?

That's a spear that is handled with one hand tongue.gif

And about the Gestir's looks: It is possible that he has such a dark skin, because Vikings had also settlements in Southern Italy,
    and even around Istanbul (Yeah, it's weird huh? I just know this because i Wiki'd it a week ago or something)

Here a picture about the Viking Expansion:
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Viking_expansion.png
  • FrazzFrazz Senior
    edited April 2009
    ...the usa got controlled land in iraq, but most americans doesnt look like iraqies now do they? Point being that vikings didn't look dark skinned since they didnt come from whatever land they might have expanded camps to.

Edit: thanks for the link and while im at it i might qoute soemthing from it wink.gif "denotes areas subjected to frequent Viking raids but with little or no Scandinavian settlement". now thats just the green area but you catch my drift.
    But i mean, that it could be a warrior from out of those regions.
    (After a couple of years there you would defenitly have such a dark skin like The Gestir has)
    But i also get you point, obviously, but it's just maybe an explanation for the colour of his skin wink.gif
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    Gestir actually means "guest", meaning that he was an outside mercenary deployed in Scandinavia, so that could also account for his skin. Regardless, this model is still being worked on. I still need to do another pass on the texture to dirty him up and desaturate his outfit, and play around with the tones.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    If they had moors in spain, we can have an olive skinned viking.
    imageimage
  • HarHar Senior
    QUOTE (jRocket @ Apr 18 2009, 02:06 AM) »
    Gestir actually means "guest", meaning that he was an outside mercenary deployed in Scandinavia, so that could also account for his skin. Regardless, this model is still being worked on. I still need to do another pass on the texture to dirty him up and desaturate his outfit, and play around with the tones.

"These were divided into the hir
  • Senior

Hey I have been playing PVK for a while now and love it, the gestir is a great idea I had been looking forward to the class for along time. But I have to agree with others that it is the length of a one handed spear, the one handed spear is the most authentic to vikings but they did also use a long spear that is 9 ft long from tip to tip including shaft and spear head. The one hand would probably be quite thin as its for use with one hand and the shaft of the 9ft would be as you seem to have it at the moment.

Another thing that would be cool is a slung round shield for a long spear or a kite shield for a one handed spear. The spear is a great weapon and is even great and defending short arms when you shorten up you can push them back and then have them 9 ft away from you again.

The Anglo Saxons used spears a great deal and were around the same time as the vikings using very simular equipment. I think im not sure but a spearman might be more likely to have a Scram Seax over a Lang Seax.

Here is a link to my Re-enactment groups training videos there is more on the right hand side you can see uses of the weapon and how helpful a slung shield would be covering from shoulder to knee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqaVh6W-AM

Here is another video you can imagine one spearman has lost his spear and has been reduced to a Scram Seax a scream seax is faster to get out than a langseax and usually would be hung from the belt in its sheath or on back in sheath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OxR76cfo8

And in regard to horses!!!! Check this is out this is the battle of hastings re-enactment the battle took place after the saxons saw off the vikings at stamford bridge and marched all the way south to hastings they lost but you can see the shield wall and each spearman had a shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwW04V4NA4

Hope this is considered if not my feelings wont be hurt smile.gif

P.S. Re-enacting hurts I have bruises from training the other night biggrin.gif if you want to re-enact a huscarl or a spearmen checkout http://www.regia.org/main.htm

-
  • VarrVarr Senior
    QUOTE (jRocket @ Apr 18 2009, 01:06 AM) »
    Gestir actually means "guest"

Buju is right. Gestir is the plural form. In the Proto-Norse language the singular was gastiR, in Old Norse it was gestr and modern Icelandic it's gestur.

So gestr would be the correct name.
  • DJ SarcasticDJ Sarcastic Senior
    Gestir, yet another awesome class !

Coming in 2010.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    QUOTE (DJ Sarcastic @ Apr 19 2009, 07:07 AM) »
    Gestir, yet another awesome class !

Coming in 2010.

We hope
    imageimage
  • FrazzFrazz Senior
    QUOTE (jRocket @ Apr 18 2009, 01:06 AM) »

guests, and regards to the rest of the post, sounds awesome, im sure itll turn out pwnsauceish.