Island and Frostbite

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
Greeting all,

We've got a quick post for you guys today. Two of our more popular maps are undergoing a few changes in 2.3. These maps are quite opposite each other, one being set in the snowy mountains, the other on a tropical island. Both exhibiting wonderful themes and ambiance to compliment their styles.

First on the list for today is pvk_island. pvk_island is a booty map created by Gaz and has always been the most popular map, in both the HL1 version and today.
Because of its popularity and general completeness, not much had to be done to change the map, just a few tweaks here and there.

For starters, a new exit has been added to the Pirate's base, allowing the Vikings team an additional choice in escaping with chests. In the following screenshot you can see some rocks and planks have been added, scaling up to the Hubb Jubb Clubb entrance, that used to be useful only as a way in to the base.

Another addition to the map takes place in the Vikings base. The Knights have been given a second entrance/exit to the Vikings base, allowing some sneakier action when trying to steal the chests back.

You'll also find an additional rope in the following shot, keeping players from being easily cornered in that spot on the map.

That's it for Island, altogether the map still plays very well and we expect it to be just as popular as it always has been. The changes for 2.3 may seem small, but they significantly improve the balance of the map and give players more incentive to steal the chests, knowing they may not be gunned down quite as easily!

pvk_frostbite, by Jahhur, is our signature grail map in 2.2. Like Island, the map itself did not require any huge changes, but has received a few additions that benefit both aesthetics and gameplay as whole.

Many of you are probably familiar with the ledge on the outside of the map. This is an entertaining spot to fight, as a player can often knock a few opponents off with proper maneuvering. To make things a bit less frustrating, a guardrail has been added. There's still plenty of ways to knock off opponents, though now it will take a bit more skill and prowess to do so!

One of the changes the map has also undergone is an update to the new particle system. We've already seen what Jahhur is capable of with the video demonstrations of Cathedral and Arena. Well, a few things in Frostbite have also been updated, including the flames of the torches and fire basins, as well as the snow. The following screen shot shows what the lighting of the map looks like from the outside, however it doesn't really do the snow justice. You'll have to see it in-game to truly appreciate it!

Another addition to the map takes place in the outer corridor area. A ledge has been added, increasing mobility and sniping abilities for the ranged classes. Again, it may seem like a small change, but significantly improves gameplay and balance.

Overall, both maps have kept the features that make them so popular, while undergoing a few relatively smalls changes that increase gameplay, balance and aesthetics quite well. That's all for today's post, I mentioned a video demonstration of Temple's traps last week, but have since decided some things are better left as a surprise wink.gif

The Gestir should be ready to show off soon, so look forward to an update from jRocket sometime in the not too distant future. Until then, be sure to jump on our forums and check out our Mapping Competition sponsored by Noesis Interactive! There have been some great updates this week and I urge you all to download the maps and test them out as they become available!

badass.jpg

Comments

• pleasefpleasef Senior
    edited March 2009
    Wow!Thanks for at least trying to do something with the terrible bottleneck to the vikings base. More medieval village architecture! But isn't the new house exit massive?
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited 10:51PM
    These changes on Island were truly necessary...

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• JervanJervan Senior
    Wow, everything looks so much more developed and perfected biggrin.gif

I can't wait to play 2.3!
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I've read the word 'Gestir'! biggrin.gif
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • Scurvy BobScurvy Bob senior
    awesome news!
    These weekly updates are really cool
    looking forward to the icon_grog.gif Gestir icon_grog.gif! icon_yay.gif icon_yay.gif icon_yay.gif

QUOTE (notoorjus @ Mar 28 2009, 04:58 PM) »
    But isn't the new house exit massive?

Thats what I thought too but this isnt a big deal.

I cant wait anymore for 2.3, its so perfect
    RELEASE IT NAAAOOOW !!!!! icon_yay.gif
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited March 2009
    Nice changes to Island and Frostbite biggrin.gif

I have question about pvk_frostbite. I've played this map on official pvk server and countdown timer for holding holy grail was only 4, if I remember right. So it was pretty fast game, if knights got holy grail. They just hold it for like 40 seconds (depending on HP) and gg. If I am not wrong other servers might used longer countdown timer for holding grail. Is it possible to make official one longer? 15 or 20...

+edit > And don't release it now, let's wait for steam PVK tongue.gif
  • OrmOrm Senior
    Looks awesome, can't wait much longer...
  • Slayer9112Slayer9112 Senior
    The changes to PVK_Island should hopefully give the vikings easier time to escape point-whoring knights, aswell as giving the knights harder time to keep perfect track on the viks. The other changes are also nice.. :3 All of them also a bit needed. This ought to make things alot more fun!
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited March 2009
    Yeah those changes on Island were necesarry, for a safer way back from the pirates base,
    I remember alot people complaining about the Pirate base being a death trap.
    Cause the pirates (Me included) raped the Knights and Vikings there when they invaded at the same time the base, and got pwned.
    They didn't have any result with the attacks, except death tongue.gif

P.S. So we have to wait a bit longer then a week for the Gestir? sad.gif

P.P.S. Screw that, it's worth it! icon_yay.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    its getting hot in here :>
    i can just say that the changes are great.

for everyone whos waiting, it will be worth :>
    A Signature
  • Goodguy3Goodguy3 Senior
    You must recover!!!!!!
    QUOTE (Damnstraight @ February 17 2009, 08:08 PM)
    Suck up less, or at least make it less obvious.

QUOTE (dinahCannon @ Feb 18 2010, 10:08 AM)
    If that's realistic, I'm Jesus.
    A question:
    Are the armor pickups now uniform? Because you can see at the second image 2 platearomor pickups,
    on the spot where Viking armor is used to be huh.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • kikikiki Senior
    Hi,

Does anybody else think the "floating" column in the frostbite picture is a bit unrealistic. If I'm not mistaken, they are made of several sections which support the ceiling, not the other way around. So wouldn't it just fall off?
  • Nemeziz22Nemeziz22 Senior
    cool :0 island rullz
  • edited 10:51PM
    I love the new entrances, but i think the pirate flag should be its traditional black color.
    Good job on the update. icon_grog.gif icon_yarrpirate.gif
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    Excellent changes to island, it was hard to get out as a viking from there. I also think I agree with Rock'n roll about the flag thing.
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
  • pleasefpleasef Senior
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (Rock'N Roll Jesus @ Mar 29 2009, 03:29 AM) »
    I think the pirate flag should be its traditional black color.

This. Let's face it: PVKII is not a game for team colored maps etc. like TF2. The difference will be the THEME. I think giving the pirate flag and viking flag a tint of the team color is a good idea (and making the knights one blue), but I don't think it's neccessary to make it so obvious. After all, it's pirates, vikings and knights, not red, green and blue.smile.gif
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    edited March 2009
    colors are your friends :>
    its just the first moment you see it because you are used to see the old flags
    with time you will like them smile.gif
    A Signature
  • edited 10:51PM
    QUOTE (Skuzzlebutt @ Mar 29 2009, 11:45 AM) »

I hope your right.
  • AmerikaAmerika Honkey Senior
    Oh my gawsh, I must play the new Island! It looks AMAZING over 9000 times!
    imageI love eggs!
    QUOTE (Gee Hawd @ Nov 20 2007, 11:59 AM) »
    They're all transsexuals... but you wouldn't know that, YOU FAILED THE TEST

• BobXBobX Senior
    My eyes bleed with pretty @_@

Frostbite looks epic in those screenshots, but it looks more like a "pretty yellow sunset castle" compared to what it used to be.
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I hope you burn in hell, Skuzzle, for being a betatester and making me jealous!
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • OpethianOpethian Senior
    QUOTE (Skuzzlebutt @ Mar 29 2009, 03:45 AM) »

Green is my friend.
  • JervanJervan Senior
    QUOTE (Opethian @ Mar 30 2009, 04:55 AM) »
    Green is my friend.
    AYE.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    Has the new desertruin already been shown? mellow.gif