A Look At pvk_forgotten 2.3

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
edited March 2009 in PVKII News & Announcements
Greeting, all you scurvy dogs!

I hope everyone's enjoying their Saturday so far.

I want to start out by announcing that PVKII has won Fileplanet.com's Best Mod of 2008!

As promised last week, today I'm excited to show you some pictures of pvk_forgotten for Beta 2.3.
Today's article includes:
    New Chest SpawnsPirates' BaseVikings' BaseKnights' BaseSneak Peek of pvk_temple

New Chest Spawns

In the current version of pvk_forgotten, each team starts out with 2 chests. In 2.3, 1 chest will spawn at each base and 3 chests will spawn between the bases. This makes things a bit more interesting at the start of the match and helps to keep players on their toes! It's quite entertaining as players meet up to battle it out over who gets a head start.

Chest between Pirates and Knights

Chest between Pirates and Vikings

Chest between Vikings and Knights

Pirates' Base

Overall the Pirates' base has remained in tact as far as the layout is concerned. However, two new entrances have been added to allow the other teams variety of escape!

Here we have a shot of the entrances on the Vikings' side. They can go either below the bridge and come up into the base, or take their normal route, but jump up on the crates and drop into the base.

imageimage

Finally, we have the added entrance on the Knights' side. Players may take either one, making it harder for the Pirates to know which way they've gone.

Vikings' Base

The Vikings' base has undergone a few changes including the new entrances. There has been some added cover for escapees, as well as some added detail. The spawn zones have also been pushed back a little for balance and some variety has been added to them.

First, some shots of the new entrances from the Knights' side:

imageimage

Next, some shots from the Pirates' side:

imageimage

Knights' Base

The Knights' base, like the other two, has also been given some new escape routes. One of the routes is through the water fall. There have also been some details added, along with a bit of cover from ranged attacks and kegs!

First, the Pirates' side:

imageimage

Next, the Vikings' side. Notice the escape route under the waterfall:

imageimage

Altogether, pvk_forgotten has gotten some great new additions for 2.3 that add to the balance and aesthetics of the map as a whole. The new chest spawns also make the map more interesting at the start of the round and makes for some great first encounters. There's plenty more that hasn't been posted in this article, but you'll have to check out for yourself when 2.3 comes out!

Sneak Peek of pvk_temple

pvk_temple has undergone some major changes for balance and enjoyment. Check back next week for the full article!

Keep an eye out on our forums and our Mapping Competition sponsored by Noesis Interactive!

badass.jpg

Comments

• BladeBlade PVKII Team
    edited 11:35AM
    icon_yay.gif
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    now this might be better than sex.
  • JanrokJanrok Senior
    QUOTE (sverek @ Mar 14 2009, 09:57 AM) »
    now this might be better than sex.

Well, its already better than masturbation!
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    I hope that forgotten gets the attention now what it deserves!
    It looks just so awesome!

You guys are masters of the modding art!

P.S. W00T!! Won the fileplanet competition!!! icon_yay.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I really enjoy the weekly Updates. You should keep them up, even if they are just about small things..
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • sarabisarabi Senior
    Oooh loveley, more routes is always a good thing ^^

I particularly like the new golden glow around chests and the l4d-esq backglow for the armor pickups,

Will armor always be floating and stood up quake-3 style though?
  • Niko112112Niko112112 Senior
    Good job! smile.gif But, I noted that pirate flags are ugly wacko.gif
    I like the new flags!
    Did you notice that the pirateflags skull is a Skirmy-skull?
  • Slayer9112Slayer9112 Senior
    WoW! Forgotten is getting a very nice tuning indeed! Really more detailed ontop of that. biggrin.gif This ought to get alot of fun to play in now!

Can't wait to see the PVK_Temple article though. I hope they fixed those spikes that get's stuck somehow yet kill on contact. tongue.gif
  • SkoxzSkoxz Senior
    Very good , i love this smals updates.
    Keep going team wink.gif

icon_agapirate.gif

• JervanJervan Senior
    Amazing, everything on the map looks more polished and balanced biggrin.gif
  • DanneDanne Senior
    Looking good
    I took an axe to your head
    Chopping rotten flesh
    Brain is seeping from the cracks in your skull
    Blood drains from holes in your torso
    I took your life from you
  • AjconAjcon Senior
    keep doing this updats. its rly fun to read every week
  • Niko112112Niko112112 Senior
    QUOTE (Z!nuX @ Mar 14 2009, 05:33 PM) »
    I like the new flags!
    Did you notice that the pirateflags skull is a Skirmy-skull?

I did and Viking and Knight flags are good but I don't like that pirate flag. dry.gif
  • FrazzFrazz Senior
    droping something small on us, it could be much much smaller than this, but just something every week would be such a treat. even if there havent been any progress you can talk about something you want to implement or what you will start on when you got time.
    edited March 2009
    Are those pillars with egyptian hi
  • edited 11:35AM
    Everything looks great, i especialy love how the flags shows what base your heading to. But the pirate flag could be improved.
    But good job!
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    The flag is Henry Every's style of Jolly Roger Flag.
  • Shadowex3Shadowex3 ѺϡϟᐝᕔᙰᔒѪҨ Senior
    So in other words you've taken the worst map in the mod that sucked because it was large, confusing, and had lots of random chasing through cramped doorways and cramped tunnels trying to find who ganked your chests while getting stuck on your teammates and the landscape and made it WORSE? In what world did you think this would make people not want to RTV even FASTER?

What forgotten needs, other than an fdisk, is to be made less cramped, have less arbitrary landscape deaths, and have it's bad case of wolfenstein syndrome endless hallways and one man wide doorways cured.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    I'm reserving judgement til I've played it, but OOOH! SHINY!
    imageimage
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (Shadowex3 @ Mar 15 2009, 03:13 AM) »
    So in other words you've taken the worst map in the mod that sucked because it was large, confusing, and had lots of random chasing through cramped doorways and cramped tunnels trying to find who ganked your chests while getting stuck on your teammates and the landscape and made it WORSE? In what world did you think this would make people not want to RTV even FASTER?

What forgotten needs, other than an fdisk, is to be made less cramped, have less arbitrary landscape deaths, and have it's bad case of wolfenstein syndrome endless hallways and one man wide doorways cured.

Way to judge the gameplay from a couple of screens, with no overview of the entire map whatsoever! You win the prejudgement award! icon_yay.gif 2.2 forgotten isn't the best map out there, but the new version improves it by miles.

Now, first off, you can't get stuck in teammates anymore. Get with the time.

Secondly, the extra corridors run more or less parallel with the existing corridors, so there is no way you can get confused. I don't get how you can get confused on forgotten in the first place - it's a LOOP. Seriously. How can you get lost on a circle? Damn.
    The corridors also add more to the map, so it's less cramped.

The chest trail is a great aid in finding out what team stole your booty. Unless you were no where near to your base, you usually have a good idea of who ran off with your booty.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    Congratulations for the Best Mod 2008 win!
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    More routes is exactly what forgotten needs. Also the flags showing where the team bases are located are good. Sometimes, I still go to a wrong direction in the viking spawn, even if I have played forgotten quite a lot.

I like the new pirate flag.
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    You guys really keep me on the run with News-writing wink.gif
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • Wee_Free_ManWee_Free_Man Senior
    Really appreciating the constant updates.
    Good work guys! looking very pretty
  • JervanJervan Senior
    I'm so pumped for the next one right now :lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
  • unnamed2unnamed2 Senior
    Yeah the map really needed those changes.You are a great team.Nice job smile.gif
  • edited 11:35AM
    looks good.
  • Lacquer HeadLacquer Head Members, Senior
    Those changes will make the map a lot better. Right now the map is far too simple to make use of any tactics and making unnoticed chest snatches, having only one way from each base to the others. The changes to the start with chests placed between two bases is genious! It will bring some action into the game right at the beginning. Can't wait to play it.
    1fi6wm.png