2.3 Particles and Facial Animations

2»

Comments

• BrigandSkunkBrigandSkunk Senior
    edited 3:15AM
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Mar 7 2009, 07:11 PM) »
    Facial Stuff is WIP. It takes me a while to do the lip syncing because I must manually do it. I only have Vista.

CrackPolly you are doing an awesome job, the same goes to the rest of pvkii dev team! The characters look alive rather than being just human figures.

lip syc is 1 of the hardest things to accomplish, in case community doesn't know: 1 second has 24 images/pictures, so getting what the character is saying match the animation is pretty hard stuff. Although as CrackPolly said... it's a WIP. Let's all be patient!
  • RothgarRothgar Server Admin
    Awesome job guys, those particle effects are great. I hope it's not going to tax too much on the server load in big games though? Although I understand in OB the particle system uses a second core on multi-core systems, so hopefully that will help if the particle system is implemented right.

QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Mar 8 2009, 06:00 AM) »
    I am a bit curious about the lip syncing though. I think the animations could use a bit more exaggeration. When the berseker says "you are no man" he comes off looking bored when he should look somewhat angry and be yelling it.

That would be my only problem, I understand it's probably difficult to get the lip sync'ing to work and then perfect it but yeah it looks a bit wrong/dull etc when their expressions should be different for "yelling" etc like the Berserker should be at least. Hopefully that can be polished over time though, I'm sure it can be fixed as "future updates" though as it's not game-stopping and shouldn't halt the release.

Keep up the good work guys.
    Dawgclan Network > http://www.dawgclan.net
    CustomFactor.com > Official PVK II #1 Beta 2.4 (-FF)
    21 Players, 33 tick, Custom Maps & More
    203.56.188.6:27019
  • SpookySpooky Senior
    QUOTE (Rothgar @ Mar 7 2009, 07:40 PM) »
    That would be my only problem, I understand it's probably difficult to get the lip sync'ing to work and then perfect it but yeah it looks a bit wrong/dull etc when their expressions should be different for "yelling" etc like the Berserker should be at least. Hopefully that can be polished over time though, I'm sure it can be fixed as "future updates" though as it's not game-stopping and shouldn't halt the release.

I agree with this... by no means is this a priority, but at some point, it would be great to have facial features as silly and overdone as the rest of this game. PVK has ALWAYS been about taking absurd to a higher level... I love how everything looks, GREAT trailer.

And most of all... we appreciate these frequent updates. It's almost as good as getting the patch for me... keeps me coming back for more to this site!
  • AmerikaAmerika Honkey Senior
    MOAR!
    imageI love eggs!
    QUOTE (Gee Hawd @ Nov 20 2007, 11:59 AM) »
    They're all transsexuals... but you wouldn't know that, YOU FAILED THE TEST

• Gez the HealerGez the Healer Amuwau! Senior
    I'll show you my special particles and we'll see what that does to your facial animations my big ginger bear smile.gif
  • GLOCKY1GLOCKY1 senior
    Wow.... I haven't ever been so shocked in my life about a game. What an update! I saw Arena and how the clouds, volcano, and praticle system all worked together and suprised that i didn't pee my pants. Let me list a few words here: Amazing, Outstanding, Astounding, Wow, and shocking.

Encore!! Encore! ENCORE!!!!!!

Congratulations PVK team with this amazing job here, A++!!

icon_agapirate.gif icon_agapirate.gif icon_agapirate.gif icon_agapirate.gif icon_agapirate.gif
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Sexy doesn't even describe how I feel right now.
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    edited March 2009
    The Arena looks epic.
    Positively.
    Epic.
  • MasterMindMasterMind Senior
    Wow those changes look amazing.

Doesn't source already have a particle system?
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Yes, but the one in the updated OB source engine is improved.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • RothgarRothgar Server Admin
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Mar 13 2009, 02:49 AM) »
    Yes, but the one in the updated OB source engine is improved.

In the OB engine Valve made the particle system use an alternate thread which means that if you are on a dual processor or dual-core machine all these "particle" effects should run on a second processor/core.

Unfortunately not all of the OB engine is multi-threaded but at least all these new effects should run good on high-end systems.
    Dawgclan Network > http://www.dawgclan.net
    CustomFactor.com > Official PVK II #1 Beta 2.4 (-FF)
    21 Players, 33 tick, Custom Maps & More
    203.56.188.6:27019
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    The spiel is that prior to OB coders had to code the behaviors of particles effects which it is better to let artists have control. In OB there is a new Particle Editor that lets artists design the particle systems without any coding support needed.
  • EisigerEisiger Keg Whore Senior
    It's so beautiful.