pvk_clouds

Comments

• niknakniknak Authorized Creator, Senior
    edited February 2009
    20.2 :i ve been kinf of lazy today, i just worked on the churchs layout and made the ceiling. here is a screenshot of what i have done so far, ill probably texture it the way it looks in the middle.

archersig_niknak.png spacer.gif

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited 3:04PM
    It maybe look better if the textures are on the oposite.
    So the stone on the archway and the brown in the middle
    happy.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
    21.2 : did a lot of work on the church, the layout is absolutely perfect, but see for yourself. there will also be holy healing water instead of food at the entrance. but now see for yourself and please comment it. somehow i think that there were not so many updates on the other threads which disapoints me a bit. i hope ther will be some new contend in the other threads.

• HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    Looks like a really cool map, with very tight quarters for melee, while still being fairly open.
    imageimage
    Sorry for my comment above, this looks better then i would imagene it.
    It looks awesome, i like those 'fresco's' on the wall wink.gif
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    edited February 2009
    I sure hope this will make an official map in the upcoming patches.
    Edit: Looks awesome. Reminds me of Florence. (went there last autumn)

However, I'd add a slightly more darker atmosphere to the hall.. with some torches and windows giving light. If possible.
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE (gubbe @ Feb 22 2009, 03:36 PM) »
    However, I'd add a slightly more darker atmosphere to the hall.. with some torches and windows giving light. If possible.

...dude.

There is no lighting yet. It's full bright. D:
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    tonight ill post a beta of the cathedral, featuring lightning and many tiny props to make it look awsome.

• schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (niknak @ Feb 22 2009, 10:36 AM) »
    tonight ill post a beta of the cathedral, featuring lightning and many tiny props to make it look awsome.

Lightning is awsome, but I am pretty sure you meant lighting. Maybe you could add a trim to smooth the areas where wall and floor touch, it looks a bit abrupt now.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

yeah, my fault

Lawl icon_yay.gif
    22.2 : did a lot of mapping today but didnt manage to add lightning. other that that is the church 95% completed. here are some new screenshots.

feedback is always good, it helps me to improove the map, so please post something

That church looks really stunning, but i think that the mid/back roof also need some more
    Architecture, now it's a bit plain there.
    Inside its just perfect as far i can see
    23.2: lightning has been done, mission accomplished. now it looks really stunning and gives you an epic feeling which is not done justice to by the screenshots, but at least they give you an impression how the church looks.

• Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    lol I have no chance
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    I think the church needs pews, I haven't seen one without. Besides that it looks excellent.
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
    I think I just did number 3s in my pants.
    imageimage
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Add more subdivisions, or use displacements for your arches, they look very HL1 at the moment
    That looks really really really awesome.
    You made me in to a big fan of your map, and i really want to help you if you need.
    (not with questions like help thougt cause i'm not that good, but with something that you haven't
    time for at the moment and want to let do it by someone else) biggrin.gif
  • SkoxzSkoxz Senior
    Nice map !

you are using Hammer (source sdk) ?

Thanks
    edited February 2009
    24.2: partying and drinking to hard too early in the morning is not the most constructive thing to do so i wasnt able to map anything today. in order to not disappoint you completely i have answered your questiones.

QUOTE (Sir Stalwart @ Feb 24 2009, 02:01 AM) »
    I think the church needs pews, I haven't seen one without. Besides that it looks excellent.

i thought about that but they would only waste tons of space and it would be very claustrophobic. pews may look nice but they dont fit the gamplay. take a look at pvk_cathedral, this map isnt very cathedral like, has not much authentik architecture and has a really horrible framework. however it suits the gameplay.

QUOTE (Gaz @ Feb 24 2009, 10:37 AM) »
    Add more subdivisions, or use displacements for your arches, they look very HL1 at the moment

unfortunately i cant subdevide the arches as i have vertex manipulated some parts into triangles. i think you get the hl1 impression because i forgot to unstrech the textures. the arches are also intended not to be completely round as spiky ones are gothic and the cathedral is kept very much in a gothic style.

edit: i also forgot to buildcubemaps, thats why the floor looks a bit funny

QUOTE (Z!nuX @ Feb 24 2009, 05:32 PM) »
    That looks really really really awesome.
    You made me in to a big fan of your map, and i really want to help you if you need.
    (not with questions like help thougt cause i'm not that good, but with something that you haven't
    time for at the moment and want to let do it by someone else) biggrin.gif

thanks for offering me your help but i think i can finish everything in time easiely so there is no need for someone to help me mapping. but in a few weeks i ll need some help testing the map.

QUOTE (Skoxz @ Feb 24 2009, 07:10 PM) »
    Nice map !

you are using Hammer (source sdk) ?

Thanks

of course i am using hammer editor as there are no other mapping programs wink.gif

I would tone down the lighting inside the cathedral a bit. No cathedral is ever that light by day. You're best off just reducing the range of the lights.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    QUOTE (niknak @ Feb 24 2009, 11:38 PM) »
    thanks for offering me your help but i think i can finish everything in time easiely so there is no need for someone to help me mapping. but in a few weeks i ll need some help testing the map.

I'll be glad to test your map =]
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Feb 26 2009, 04:58 AM) »
    I would tone down the lighting inside the cathedral a bit. No cathedral is ever that light by day. You're best off just reducing the range of the lights.

Except for one huge window that projects a ray of light onto the altar and down the aisle, and dust can be seen skipping through the light.
    imageimage
    edited February 2009
    Ya, he definitely needs to add func_dustnotes, like I did in my church and tomb (check the peninsula thread for screens, not gonna hijack this one).
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    25.2: i played around with the church's lighting and added env_lightglows. i ll add func_dustmotes tomorrow. i ll also start working on the blacksmith, got it pretty much in my head.

now heres a screenshot of the new lightning (ignore the purple floor wink.gif) :

That reflection off the floor looks sweeet!
    imageimage
    It still looks kinda weird. It's uniformally lighted with low intensity. It would look a lot cooler if you added more contrast - bright spots at the windows and torches, and shadows in the other areas.

You should also pick the PVKII stained glass texture, not the odd one you're using now. The one you have now doesn't really fit the model windows IMO.

Consider adding candleflame sprites, small lightglows and a low intensity light to the chandeliers as well. They're kinda useless at the moment.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • Shadowex3Shadowex3 ѺϡϟᐝᕔᙰᔒѪҨ Senior
    ^^ what Lhorkan said. It looks like you're trying to design a Gothic church which is characterised mostly by it's "airy" architecture (flying buttresses etc) and general lightness from the ability of ribbed arches and buttresses to allow for far more windows. One thing you'll want to keep an eye on if you do an HDR compile is bloom, it may seem like a good idea at a time to have bloom on bright objects like the windows making them all glowy but IRL the effect is much more subtle on the glass itself and it's the colored light they cast in dark areas that has that effect.

As an aside if those two towers aren't player accessable you might give pinching them a bit as they go up a try, if you do it very slightly it might give off the impression that they're taller than they really are.
    26.2: i had no time to map, so there are no new screenshots.

27.2: i started with the blacksmith, so far i made only the layout, but i like it a lot. there are no screens because its not worth showing it. for the cathedral you made a few suggestions, which i will discuss now:

1. adding dustmotes: i did it but i dont think that there is much of a difference.

2. lightning: i dont know how to do it exactly yet, but i think that ill add spotlights at the windows and try to make the cathedral like effects using func_convoy. for the torches ill give them different brightness to add more contrast.

3. chandeliers: thanks for the hint lhorkan, ill try to make it like you suggested.

4. window: unfortunately i didnt find the catherdral texture but ill find it and use it.

5. flying butresses: they might be a relly good idea because they would help to create a connection between the church and the defense walls.

6. making the towers higher: i think that is no problem as they will be placed in the 3d skybox

after finishing the blacksmith ill make all the displacements to create the mountain, ground, cave......... i think that i will have a playable beta map ready in 2-3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.