pvk_clouds

niknakniknak Authorized Creator, Senior
edited 10:32PM in Community Maps
i have finally started mapping, everyday there will be an update on what i have done:

16.2 : started with the knights spawn

this is the outside wall of the knights spawn:

archersig_niknak.png spacer.gif

Comments

• MasonMason Senior
    edited 10:32PM
    Pretty good looking architecture!
  • -AOD- Bruce Campbell-AOD- Bruce Campbell Authorized Creator, Senior
    Nice brush work, clean, simple, and consistent.
    image-1.gif
  • niknakniknak Authorized Creator, Senior
    17.2 : work on the knights spawn continues, i am almost done with the big brushwork. tomorrow i will start texturing it so it wont look that crappy any more. i ll also add 2 trees the windows and other little parts to it and of course there is going to be some nice snow. today i have finally settled for the territory that i am going to use and suprise suprise it is a big soft cloud where you sink in knee deep.

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    That Knight spawn looks really nice.
    However its in early stage this map will be my favourite
    wub.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Only one entrance?

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

QUOTE (Schatzmeister @ Feb 18 2009, 10:57 AM) »
    Only one entrance?

it is just the spawn, it will be located on its own littls flying island and it will be connected with the main island with a bridge where underneath the terretory will fly through

• schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    I just thought it might be easy to block the entrance, but if you can get on the walls and jump down it shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget, a idiot knight could be more devastating blocking the only exit/entrance than than the whole enemy team.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

as work continues it starts to look relally awsome. here are some ingame screenshots. expect another update in the evening.

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    That looks very nice indeed, but the knight flag texture on the tower seems stretched. Maybe it's just the loss because of the compression. The texture on the top of the railing also seems like an odd choice.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Feb 18 2009, 04:40 PM) »
    That looks very nice indeed, but the knight flag texture on the tower seems stretched. Maybe it's just the loss because of the compression. The texture on the top of the railing also seems like an odd choice.

im still looking for the right texture for that railing but it is knid of hard only using pvk textures. is there a way to filter pvk textures only?

• J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I thought Hl2 textures are "Pvk-textures" too because they come along with source sdk base (so everyone must have them)
    Looks really promising. No matter who wins, there will be alot of awesome maps then smile.gif The wall textures doesnt really fit to each other, but i guess thats beacuse of the early WiP
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited February 2009
    You can choose "pvk2" as keyword in the texture browser, but those seem to be only a few of them.

EDIT: and it also just crashed my Hammer. sad.gif Doesn't always though.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Try using trims for the tops of railings.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    After pvk2 is setup any textures/models in the browsers should be fair game since the non-pvk2 specific are all base mod content.
  • smokeythebearsmokeythebear Senior
    I get a crash when browsing PVK content as well, only for models though. It must be 1 or 2 specific models I'll see if I can pin down which ones.

PVK uses some CSS textures as well though right? A lot of stuff looks like it's from the map de_inferno.
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    A lot of people get crashes with a few pvk models. The problem models in general are the pirate ship (though I think that problem is pre 2.0), the small dinghy, a specific fence and the cannonball.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    how did you lose health when taking those pictures?
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango
  • MasonMason Senior
    Niknak, I think you should scale down the textures used on the diagonal underneath the top of the castle towers. They look stretched right now and would look a lot better if you unstretched them.
    1. i tend to jump around a lot.

2. i know, just couldnt be bothered to do it.

thanks for all the feedback, as hl2 textures are "legal" now ill use an oak tree instead of the current one. looks much nicer

here is another screenshot: i also changed the texture of the railing, looks much better now

• -AOD- Bruce Campbell-AOD- Bruce Campbell Authorized Creator, Senior
    Looking at it again from different views, the tops of the castle seem too sharp. I'd square the ends of the crown on the towers and walls a bit more, but that's just me.
    image-1.gif
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    I prefered the stronger contrast on the castle towers before, the architecture is getting lost now
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    QUOTE (tehsux @ Feb 19 2009, 10:15 AM) »
    how did you lose health when taking those pictures?

Looks like spawned in mid-air, fell, lost life, then "no-clip"ped to get high-angle shots.
    imageimage
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    Looking at it again from different views, the tops of the castle seem too sharp. I'd square the ends of the crown on the towers and walls a bit more, but that's just me.

I agree. I these spikes look very sharp and unnatural.
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
    19.2 : i didnt get around to do any mapping, instead i worked extensively on the layout. i ve got most of it in my mind and on paper, but for you to see i drew something in paint. i hope everthing is clear (it is quite selfexplaining). maby ill do some mapping later but i have already plans for the evening.

• BladeBlade PVKII Team
    Viking spawning at the middle of the other teams can cause them being attacked from both sides, while pirates will only meet the knights on that flying territory.
    QUOTE (Blade @ Feb 19 2009, 09:27 PM) »
    Viking spawning at the middle of the other teams can cause them being attacked from both sides, while pirates will only meet the knights on that flying territory.

yeah, im not so shure about the knights spawn either, maby ill move it into the blacksmith and extend the house a bit.

idias for the middldle section (green) would be welcomed, so far my only ideas are a statue on a podest, a giant oak tree, a gallow, probably it will have some cracks because it was undermind. maby a construction site for a new building.

• BladeBlade PVKII Team
    Maybe you can move the knight spawn near those yellow lines to the right of the church, then all teams should have the same distance from each other?
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    edited February 2009
    Actually, base spawns don't really fit this layout, because no matter where you place your flying territory, one team will have an advantage over the others as it will occupy it first.
    Having team group spawns all around the map can work better.
    Mainly having about 3 spawns for each team from the flying territory starting location, so all teams have almost even chance to grab it first.
    QUOTE (Blade @ Feb 19 2009, 10:51 PM) »
    Actually, base spawns don't really fit this layout, because no matter where you place your flying territory, one team will have an advantage over the others as it will occupy it first.
    Having team group spawns all around the map can work better.
    Mainly having about 3 spawns for each team from the flying territory starting location, so all teams have almost even chance to grab it first.

i ve thought a bout randomn spawns aswell, maby ill use them, but i ve also thougth of the territory being unreachable at first and then slowly moving in. however there would always be some kind of advantage for the team closest to the territory.

after thinking a bit i came to the conclusion that having randomn spawns and the terretory starting underneath the bridge would be the best option.

This discussion has been closed.