pvk_overlord

kow75kow75 Senior
edited April 2009 in Community Maps
Get into the castel and escape with the prize.
kow75s PlayTest Playground

IP: 63.209.35.57:27015

Play Testing pvk_overlord_b3 Report all bugs, tweaks, comments and fixes here.
Beta Test 3, Same map with a reworked layout!

pvk_overlord_b3

LINK (pvk_overlord_b3)

image image image image image image

The Overlord (Episode 1)

Battle to escape the realm of an evil empire. Where giants once roamed this world and where ruled by a medieval tyrant. The dark lord named "Overlord" has past away from these lands and the fight has began a new aria of epic battle for the right to capture the thrown and pronounce your self as "The Overlord."

The lands have been plundered again and again by Vikings looking to expand there lands. The knights of the overlord are still faithful to there now deiced overlord and swear an oath to defend his lands at all cost. For one day he should return and reclaim his thrown.

In his days as overlord he was known for starving his people to near death in his dungeons and those who survived. Got the gift of safe passage threw his lands. Now that the lord is dead those remaining survivors(pirates) will need to fight there way out. Plunder the royal treasury and escape to freedom on the evil flag ship. Kept in the outer caves.

Will the Pirates escape to freedom?
Will the viking clam these lands?
Will the knights keep there oath?

(We will see)

Objective

First Objective
Pirate and Vikings Brake the door down. (Kegs are useless)

Second objective
Grab a chest and place it into your teams ship cargo crates.

Third objective Is part of Second objective.
Once your team has 3 chest counts on your ship. Bored your teams ship in the flagged area to win.
(Note: Only the team with 3 chest on there ship will win.)

Winning Objective
(Get into your marked escape zone on your ship.)

Knights
First Objective
Snip/Defend
Rush the snip areas and fight off your attackers.

Second Objective
Stop the pirates and vikings from stealing the chest.

Third Objective
Stop the teams at all cost from escaping.
(Very hard to do once a team has all 3 chest)
So kill them and take back the chest.

Knights win when time runs out.

Completing a objective adds to the timer.

Other notes
Chest respawn isn't deactivated. This was done on purpose. It prevents the knights from chest spamming. (aka throwing the chest out of map or in strange places) It allows the other team to complete the cargo objective. If by chance all 4 chest where dropped in one teams cargo crates. The chest respawns and boom, the other team still has a chance to finish there objective. As your crates need 2 chest and 1 chest on the ships deck to activate your teams end game trigger on your teams ship.

pvk_overlord

Creator Comments

Probably the first map designed around the objective instead of designed for the objective. It started out as a project just to show off my mapping skills to some one. Then the computation started for PVKII and I was like okay all submit this to it. Then the PVKII team made rules for the computation. Like what game mode you were only allowed to use. Well territory wouldn't work to well with the maps layout. So I went with Objective push. After major brain storming. I Came up with some type of siege and plunder idea. Only, testing the maps first original beta showed it was impossible. So later after reworking the map a few times I finally changed the ending layout for the new objective. I went through this objective changing method 6 times before I found 1 that could be balanced and was programmable with the currant pvk2 mod base code.

Project Design

To start off this map was meant to take a Gothic theme in a dark realm. Concept design ideas came from LOR Overlord and some of GOW2 games and Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Production Implementing Theme

I wanted the main hall to be huge simulating extreme power. At the same time show an interest in beauty. This effect was done by the water falls and random tree and placement of the statues. Overall to add that touch that your in a dark lords castle. I added a series of spikes to the castle walls and towers. Still that wasn't enough. To really give you the feel I needed to add a creepy light setting. To do that I made 90% of the map lighting with torches and fire pits. Then gave the map a moonlight night sky to light the other 10% of the map. Which helped in creating the right bloom to match the reflection of the water through out the map.

Story Line

This story was written this way on purpose. The fact that the mod PVKII is a mod that is always changing its beta code. Means a map can never truly be finished for this mod because you will always have to recompile for the new updated code base in the mod. With that being said, This map follows a Episodic story line. Which means there will be other maps like this one that all follow the same story. The objectives will change and the layout and design of the map will change but the overall theme of the maps will remain the same.

Final Thought

This map was a fun project and had many challenges. I'm happy to say its currant version after tons of hours of play testing. Is fairly well balanced and fun to play. Hope to see people playing it.

Other Notes

Removed the giant skeletons
Optimized
Added new Loading Screen
Fixed a bug where a chest could be thrown next to the crates and it would count them.
Added new archway
Fixed knights defensive pits. (gives knights a place to throw chest retrieved)
Note: Bars are removed from the knights pits once pirates or vikings have 2 chest. Once pirates or vikings have all 3 chest the pits bars return.

Comments

• MasonMason Senior
    edited 3:54AM
    Looks cool, but I think you should use a different texture for the majority of your walls. The texture you're using is a floor texture I think. But very nice map!
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited February 2009
    its a custom texture. the brown one is newer photos. the gray walls are old photos. and right now its all very place holder as im not a big fan of endless repetitive textures but, there is a deadline so sacrifices will have to be made. sad.gif
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    Everyone loves updates, so here's a few.

only a small part of the map done and so much more to go, la crys. icon_sighnewbie.gif

(photo kill tongue.gif)
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    looking good, but seems to me a little dark on my monitor
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    (Objectives in first post)
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Objectives sound fun.
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    (photo kill tongue.gif)
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    edited February 2009
    feet are still too small imo, but nice work!
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • mrmongmrmong Senior
    15000 triangles!
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    15000 / 3 = 5000 wink.gif

As there are 3 skeleton models in the same seen you get a total of 15000 tongue.gif

Any ways

The map is playable, layout is finished, Lighting is where I want it to be for the theme of the map.

Only thing left to do is get the skeleton model in the map and play test the timing. icon_whistling.gif

(photo kill tongue.gif)
  • JervanJervan Senior
    I know nothing about Mapping except how things look to me, but is there a way you can darken the waterfall? It looks too bright.
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    He'd have to make a custom texture for it.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    well the thing about making a custom texture for it. Is pvkII already has a set texture for it. So if I make a new one. To override the old one. I would have to pakrat the new one into the maps bsp. Which would make the map file size larger. Im trying to avoid doing that as much as possible. To ad in download times. wink.gif
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    some more updates on the skeletons tongue.gif

(photo kill tongue.gif)

Added a new room for the knights to spawn in. So they cant easyly spam the chest area.
    Added a door blocking the chest area that wont open until 1 of the teams brakes there door down.
    This was done to stop the knights from hiding the chest before the other teams could get to them.
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    That looks epic!
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    Changed knights first objective. Now its Obsolete as it was boring.
    Iv added 2 snip areas overlooking the pirates and vikings spawn areas.
    You can shoot arrows threw these spots but you cant get into there spawns threw there.

Added timed doors to each spawn area.
    This was done to stop the knights and or other teams from spawning.
    Also it puts a delay on the rush. You can get out but you cant get back in.
    Unless some one triggers the door to open from the spawning side.

This also stops the knights from helping the teams brake there door down.
    and if these doors are blocked you will die eventually.
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    I dunno, those giant skeletons look odd, also, why are those towers emitting pink clouds?

Otherwize it looks awesome.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • pleasefpleasef Senior
    it's more absurd than scary smile.gif
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
  • wILLI wONKAwILLI wONKA Senior
    A really well made map, BUT, the waterfall, it's pure ugliness, when has waterfalls start shining in such a dark place? Maybe if a moon would light it up.

The lighting is good, but I think the torch in Knight Spawn/Chest Area should have a bit more radius on the wall. So it wouldn't look so pointy :]
    And also, if there would be a moon it could light the place up since it way too dark for my monitor as example.

What the hell are those huge skeletons? I didn't know that skeletons grow up as they get older or, what?

Conclusion would be, holy shit, that's pure awesomeness, epicness, and greatness.

The objectives sound great.
    Wonka chocolate is better than secks.

QUOTE (Rock'N Roll Jesus @ Mar 21 2009, 01:43 AM) »
    The archer either gets cut into peices by the zerk, or picked off by the skirmishers. The Archer needs something more than a Toy's R Us butterknife.

• kow75kow75 Senior
    the smoke is full off evil tongue.gif Its reddish like theres huge fires up there. just wait for 2.3 partials biggrin.gif Until then this will have to do.

The map is in a fictional evil realm. Where your only real light source is the fire and there was giants there but, not any more. hints the huge skeletons. Plus it looks cool.

WillI the lighting will stay how it is. As it was a real pain in the ass to get the lighting in the 3d skybox to match the world lighting.
    And I currently like it where it is.

The waterfall is still (wip) I may even take it out depending on map file size.

ATM with all the custom content the maps file size is pretty large.

The waterfall doesn't look that bad
  • edited 3:54AM
    Yeah it doesnt look THAT bad, but a new texture would be great.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    New one in 2.3
    2.3 PWNS!!!! wub.gif
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    edited March 2009
    Here is the updates, I'm satisfied with the extra wood in the courtyard and the new coat of arms.

(photo kill tongue.gif)

(The map is finished)

I am currently working on packing the files into the map.
    Then if there isn't any issues with that.
    You should see a download link for the map soon!

"As tradition it will be linked in the first post" icon_sighnewbie.gif
    edited March 2009
    Aren't you gonna like, test it with a couple of dudes before releasing it? For balance and shit?

Plus, I totally spot a hole in the map in that last pic.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    Yes it is going to be tested and its not a hole but, a fresh hdr cube map build. You know the bug. Until you restart the game everything appears white. "Soon" meaning when ever the hell the final stages are done. aka Testing but, I cant send out a test map until the custom content is packed into the map. wink.gif
    I see. I never had that bug since I never had to bluid HDR cube maps. tongue.gif The map looks really sweet, only critic I have is that the brick texture in the last screenie is scaled up too much. Like, way, way too much. At least it looks like that.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    yeah i know I fixed that before the final compile.

I was like ew, this looks like shit. Instant scale down. lol
  • pleasefpleasef Senior
    Releasing final versions are generally a bad idea, playtest a LOT before doing so.
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
This discussion has been closed.