pvk_worldtree

WatchMakerWatchMaker Senior
edited February 2009 in Community Maps
Pray you tread lightly enough.

PVK_WORLDTREE

Many cold years have passed since the gods of the Vikings last shook the earth with their footsteps. Snow now covers what was once known as the "ever green" domain of Yggdrasil, the World Tree. The three bottomless wells have grown shallow, the great rivers are barely flowing, and the World Tree itself has grown small and pitiful. A cold merciless wind flows through the halls of the

Comments

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 3:03PM
    If they all come from the same direction they may end up just fighting before they even get to the territory more often then not.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Great architechture, I think you need a different skybox though, the current one is too light, your level looks like its at night time
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    I was afraid you would make sth. WoW World tree thingy! Good you decided to make it snowy!
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Am I ever glad I'm not competing against you. ;p
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • sCooBsCooB Senior
    Looks really promising!
    I concurr. You should place the starting point at different spots. So you get a good hassle on that platform going. biggrin.gif

How did you get the terrain so smooth?
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE (sCooB @ Feb 16 2009, 09:53 PM) »
    How did you get the terrain so smooth?

Many subdivisions and a lot of patience?
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Don't forgent subdivide biggrin.gif

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• sCooBsCooB Senior
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Feb 16 2009, 03:55 PM) »
    Many subdivisions and a lot of patience?

Thanks.

Haven't worked with hammer for quite some time. wink.gif
    Also have never been able to create an equally smooth terrain. sad.gif
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    That looks awesome mate smile.gif Can't give any more comments then the other ppl, but keep up the great work!

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Senior
    edited February 2009
    QUOTE (sCooB @ Feb 16 2009, 04:27 PM) »
    Thanks.

Haven't worked with hammer for quite some time. wink.gif
    Also have never been able to create an equally smooth terrain. sad.gif

Subdivide helps a great deal, but can mess up your lightmap something terrible if you use it too much, or improperly. Most of the terrain in those screenshots was just sculpted using the Paint Geometry option, and a custom brush size of 600 units. (And a lot of fiddling!) I'll get an update out fairly soon showing off some of the new displacement work.

Also, thanks a ton guys for the comments. I'll try and keep to regularly updating the thread with new screenshots and commentary. The next batch should show off in-side the fortress, and some of the different areas you'll find yourself in. (Maybe even a glimpse of the chaos that takes place if players take too long to finish the round.)
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    Cool, not many nothern maps I don't think. Starting points should be a ways away though but it looks awesome!
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
  • MasterMintMasterMint Senior
    Realy good so far!

i think you should improve the awesomeness of the tree thoug icon_agapirate.gif

(Evil Smiley in game)
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Senior
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack updates. Expect something this weekend! I've been really busy with other projects and haven't been able to work on this as much as I'd like, but I'll think still be able to get it done in time, fairly easily. I've improved the tree's "awesomeness" and added a bit more detail in the empty spots. I'm also going to be finalizing the texture for the viking roof model soon, and that should double the appearance of the map. (And much more, if I find the time!)
  • BrigandSkunkBrigandSkunk Senior
    It's good to know that such a map is going to be finalized, keep up the good work!
  • SvartwolfSvartwolf Senior
    from an aestethic point of view, you may want to do the edges more like a mountain top, with cliffs and lethals falls instead of walls, also, maybe some more cliffs in the empty spaces and who knows tongue.gif maybe a skybox with mountain tops, to make it bend better wth the background
This discussion has been closed.