portalflow compile problem

MitchMitch Banned
edited 4:08AM in Community Maps
it stops at 3..
ok so im making my bk campaign and i have almost finished banjos house i am having some problems and a few things i am missing that i dont know how to do. but the main problem is it wont compile. it says 760 portal clusters it finishes the baseportalvis what ever thing then goes on to portalflow: 0...1...2...3.. and stops there im pretty sure it froze compiling because i gave it an hour and it didnt move from that spot. i cant really get the compile log because it freezes and wont finish i could try to get like half of it but it would be kinda hard so anyways. Does anyone know whats wrong? only thing i can think of that would reck this is a prop_dynamic with something wrong with it. an unfimiliar texture that hammer doesnt like compiling. or a misuse of brushes. Though all i did with my brushes was use some simple ish vertex manipulation and a few spheres. so any ideas?
and please only reply with a suggestion or estimation of how to fix this not "learn your self thats what i did quit learning the easy way" crap. i just need an answer not people who tell me to do it by myself just because they did. thanks, mitch.
MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN

Comments

• RootJackRootJack Senior
    edited 4:08AM
    I'm not sure if this is any help, but when I was working on the Orchard map, I started a compile before I had properly optimized things. It ran for 5 days I think, before I stopped the compile and admitted that I needed to clean things up. So if I had let it sit for an hour, I would have thought it locked up. However if I waited a day, I would see it move up a dot or 2.

So my guess is that there are too many areas visible at once. Going back to my example, once I cleaned things up, the compile time dropped to around 20 minutes.
    RootJack, Pirate Energy Drink. Fight Scurvy!
    Orange flavored Root Beer with Vanilla, Guarana,
    a full daily dose of Vitamin C, and lots of Caffeine.
    : RootJack + Facebook : : SteamJack + Facebook :
    >> Proud affiliate of Pirates, Vikings & Knights II <<
  • MitchMitch Banned
    edited September 2008
    QUOTE(RootJack @ Sep 26 2008, 06:13 PM) »
    I'm not sure if this is any help, but when I was working on the Orchard map, I started a compile before I had properly optimized things. It ran for 5 days I think, before I stopped the compile and admitted that I needed to clean things up. So if I had let it sit for an hour, I would have thought it locked up. However if I waited a day, I would see it move up a dot or 2.

So my guess is that there are too many areas visible at once. Going back to my example, once I cleaned things up, the compile time dropped to around 20 minutes.
    well... you dont understand how small this map is its just banjos house. bruce and bannjo boy and a few other people probably know how small it is. it isnt that big at all. its got a skybox texture box surrounding it to prevent any leaks and it has a skybox setting and lots of textures a few spheres BUT anyway i fixed it like right after i made the topic. apparently hammer doesnt like spheres with the train_station glass texture. but ZOMG 5 days for a compile? dear lord thats not normal dude unless its like 100 faces away from hitting the limit then i dont doubt that
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Don't have hammer open, so I can't check, but I think that texture may be a model texture, and model textures can cause all sorts of problems when used on anything that's not a prop model.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    well i think that explains why it worked really really fast compiling when i deleted the fish bowl <sphere with a train_station glass texture>. but now it has stopped further with portalflow as im adding to the map it stopped at like 0...1...2...3...4...5...6. and i cant keep it open for like days so...all i really added was a brush made chair, two brush made drawers. and a prop_dynamic camp fire with an env_fire obove it. hammer is aparently really picky about how where and when you put things in.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • RootJackRootJack Senior
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 26 2008, 07:48 PM) »
    ...but ZOMG 5 days for a compile? dear lord thats not normal dude...

You're absolutely correct. It was nuts. If you've ever seen the orchard map it is pretty big with a big wide open sky. I wanted to see how bad things were without optimizing that environment, so I started the compile while I was out of town for 3+ days. Then I let it run a little while longer when I got back just to make sure it was still running (it was). It would have probably take another week to compile.

So I spent about an hour fine tuning things, and it compiled in 20 minutes. It was a fun test. blink.gif
    RootJack, Pirate Energy Drink. Fight Scurvy!
    Orange flavored Root Beer with Vanilla, Guarana,
    a full daily dose of Vitamin C, and lots of Caffeine.
    : RootJack + Facebook : : SteamJack + Facebook :
    >> Proud affiliate of Pirates, Vikings & Knights II <<