little material question.

MitchMitch Banned
edited September 2008 in Community Maps
how do you make two materials connect.
like as in lets say you have grass and dirt. you want a little spot of dirt to put a tree in. how would you make a dirt texture blend with a grass texture like try to understand what i mean if you can for those of you who dont know what im talking about. how do you make a grass texture eventually switch by this strange fading feature in to a dirt spot. in other words how would you make a dirt spot on grass material with out making a nother brush and having it look like a boxy dirt spot. can any one help me with this? i know some of you know what im talkin about. rofls d: D:

update, ok i know knew a heap of information which i will spill out about what i need for this thingy now...its called alpha texturizing or something. please can someone atleast help me find a tutorial? cuz im pretty sure no one here will completely explain how where and when to use it and what to start with so...if anyone knows any tutorials on alpha stuff for textures please give me one and or put it in a reply comment,
MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN

Comments

• -AOD- Bruce Campbell-AOD- Bruce Campbell Authorized Creator, Senior
    edited September 2008
    You mean alphas? These are some pretty simple questions that you can find the answer to on any Valve Hammer web sites.

A major one that I use is; http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

You need to do research on your own if you want the info to stick.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    edited September 2008
    well yeah i know but i dont think google would get what i mean by mixing materials i didnt know the name of the feature there for my chances on finding out how to it were very very slim so i thought this would be easier lols.

plus why ask questions there when i can ask questions here with just as leet hammer valve editor people. like gaz themoon banjo boy etc. pvkiis forums is my main resource to learning features on hammer. its most useful and quick way i find.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • MitchMitch Banned
    edited 4:36AM
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 17 2008, 08:12 AM) »
    You mean alphas? These are some pretty simple questions that you can find the answer to on any Valve Hammer web sites.

A major one that I use is; http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

You need to do research on your own if you want the info to stick.

i tried that but. nothing like hammer texture alpha would come up with a tutorial or anything and im waaaaaaaay to lazy to spend like an hour trying to define every single little possiblility as to what to call it for google to understand what i need.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    edited September 2008
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 24 2008, 09:06 PM) »
    im waaaaaaaay to lazy to spend like an hour trying to define every single little possiblility as to what to call it for google to understand what i need.
    Well there's your problem. You're not going to learn these things unless you learn them for your self. It took me 10 months of nonstop practice with Hammer to be where I am today. You don't sound like you *really* want to be a mapper. You're going to have to learn like the rest of us did, trail and error, and hours of hours of practice.
    image-1.gif
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 25 2008, 07:16 AM) »
    Well there's your problem. You're not going to learn these things unless you learn them for your self. It took me 10 months of nonstop practice with Hammer to be where I am today. You don't sound like you *really* want to be a mapper. You're going to have to learn like the rest of us did, trail and error, and hours of hours of practice.

QFT
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    10 months is a bit long, but yea, it takes months of practice.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    well what if i dont want to take 10 months learning every single little feature of hammer when i could take less then a week to learn what i need to learn at that point? thats kinda what custom maps forums are for, questions releases things involving custom maps etc. i mean i give you props for your unhealthily long patience in becoming a good mapper but seriously i think its a lot easier to ask people who have taken the time to learn them selves and share with others. i asked for assistence in learning alpha texturing not advise on patience and doing everything myself.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 25 2008, 04:15 PM) »
    well what if i dont want to take 10 months learning every single little feature of hammer
    Then you don't want to be a mapper bad enough then.

i mean i give you props for your unhealthily long patience in becoming a good mapper
    What you call "unhealthy" I call determination and goal setting.

but seriously i think its a lot easier to ask people who have taken the time to learn them selves and share with others.
    Exactly, people who have taken the time. These people have poured countless hours into their maps. Do you see my point? There is no "easy" way to map. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube teaching you how to do all the stuff in Hammer

i asked for assistence in learning alpha texturing not advise on patience and doing everything myself.
    Patience and doing everything our selves is what we all did. They both come with mapping. You weren't asking for assistance, you were asking how to do it.

Try and look at this from my perspective, because I've already seen this through yours. I'm someone who a year ago knew nothing about mapping, period. I slowly started to learn things on my own through trial and error hoping that all my hard work would pay off one day. I've stayed up nights because I was too determined to figure this program out because I want to make great maps that no one has seen before.

Now here's some one who admitting states that they don't want to take the time to learn all this stuff that I had to. You want to learn the "easy" way. Can you see why that would bug me?

It's like in school, when you're doing all the hard work. Then there's some guy who doesn't pay attention in class and is asking for your help constantly. When all they have to do is do what you're doing and they'll be fine. Isn't that an uncomfortable situation?
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 26 2008, 12:30 AM) »
    Then you don't want to be a mapper bad enough then.

What you call "unhealthy" I call determination and goal setting.

Exactly, people who have taken the time. These people have poured countless hours into their maps. Do you see my point? There is no "easy" way to map. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube teaching you how to do all the stuff in Hammer

Patience and doing everything our selves is what we all did. They both come with mapping. You weren't asking for assistance, you were asking how to do it.

Try and look at this from my perspective, because I've already seen this through yours. I'm someone who a year ago knew nothing about mapping, period. I slowly started to learn things on my own through trial and error hoping that all my hard work would pay off one day. I've stayed up nights because I was too determined to figure this program out because I want to make great maps that no one has seen before.

Now here's some one who admitting states that they don't want to take the time to learn all this stuff that I had to. You want to learn the "easy" way. Can you see why that would bug me?

It's like in school, when you're doing all the hard work. Then there's some guy who doesn't pay attention in class and is asking for your help constantly. When all they have to do is do what you're doing and they'll be fine. Isn't that an uncomfortable situation?
    umm no what i called unhealthy i mean disturbingly long to do when you could just get help from someone else.
    yeah people have taken the time doesnt mean i have to as well. just because i dont wanna spend a million years doing everything and learning everything myself doesnt mean i dont wanna be a mapper. the custom maps forums were created or all kinds of things INCLUDING QUESTIONS. there for this is a question that nobody apparently knows how to answer.
    umm theres not much of a difference in asking how to do it and asking for assitence either way assuming the repliers are intelligent enough you SHOULD get an explaination on how to do it a tutorial link or atleast some advise to find some better help.
    well good for you you spend a year figuring out hammer the hard way when you could have just gone to a forum with people who would like to spare that long period of time just to know something. and honestly i dont care if it bugs you or not because the "easy" way of learning hammer is the best way. considering how busy i am with alot of things through out the day what if i dont have the time or patiences to do multiple expierements finding out one thing i could figure out in about a day once again ASSUMING the repliers would just give the answer the topic requested. if you cant give me the simple answer or tutorial links im looking for quit posting on a topic you have nothing to do for it. once again since i apparently gotta say it multiple times to multiple people. i asked for help or a tutorial on this, not advise of how to do it myself. just because you all did it by yourselves doesnt mean i have to aswell.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    edited September 2008
    If you don't want to spend alot of time learning, you should not be mapping, period.

Also, use paragraphs, it makes posts readable.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(LordTrilobite @ Sep 26 2008, 04:47 PM) »
    If you don't want to spend alot of time learning, you should not be mapping, period.
    not true. i just dont wanna bother with learning myself when asking questions is a......you know what ffs im not explaining this again i can be a mapper if i damn well feel like it whether i bother taking a year to learn whati wanna learn or not. you dont like it? quit posting on a topic that asked a simple question about decal textures.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Asking others is a last resort, learning by trail and error is by far the best and most effective way of learning.

but if you're just being lazy and don't want to learn I don't see why people should help.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(LordTrilobite @ Sep 26 2008, 04:56 PM) »
    Asking others is a last resort, learning by trail and error is by far the best and most effective way of learning.

but if you're just being lazy and don't want to learn I don't see why people should help.
    ummm maybe because some people are decent enough to help others who dont have the time to spend a year figuring everything out for themselves? and no seriously trilobyte do you know the meaning of "dont post unless you have an answer or helpful hint" quit posting on my topic your filling it up with useless arguing and spam in my opinion.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    edited September 2008
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 26 2008, 01:04 PM) »
    quit posting on my topic your filling it up with useless arguing and spam in my opinion.

Your opinion became invalid months ago

badass.jpg

• MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(Crazytalk @ Sep 26 2008, 06:30 PM) »
    Your opinion became invalid months ago
    soooooooo you think that me and trilobyte arguing about mapper rights on a topic that involves a texture question isnt uselss spam or regular arguing?..... cuz thats what i ment.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    edited September 2008
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 26 2008, 10:04 AM) »
    quit posting on my topic your filling it up with useless arguing and spam in my opinion.
    You're calling his personal opinion spam? Trilobite is a great mapper that I have a lot of respect for. I'd listen to everything he has to say on mapping. For the last time Mitch, there is no "easy" way to learn Hammer. Either learn it like we all did or stop mapping.

You want tutorials?
    How about 45 seconds on youtube "Valve Hammer tutorials."

All this time telling us to stop posting you could have mastered alphas. Look these stuff up on your own and stop relying on others.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    yeah ummm you see you know i dont think you understand the meaning of quit posting unless its an answer. i have already tried googling hammer alpha tutorials ahmmer texture tutorials hammer decal tutorials and hamme material tutorials nothing that i need comes up. and youtube isnt the best resource due to awful graphis for some videos you cant see what they are doing. or they leave out important parts that help you finish it. im not an idiot i do research this shit this is just more handy ffs. yeah trilobytes a good mapper but he is still telling me how to map. i can decide where i get my resources from whether the repliers are decent enough to tell me or not. im not calling his personal opinion spam im calling where hes posting it spam. this is a QUESTION topic ffs its not general discussion of mapping. stick to the topic with your replies or dont bother replying i dont know why thats so hard for you and trilobyte to understand. if you dont know or dont wanna bother telling me
    DO
    NOT
    REPLY!!!
    its as simple as that. yeah im calling it spam cuz you and him wont stop going off topic and complaining about how im trying to take the easy way to learn hammer. and your wrong there IS an easy way to learn hammer and you guys arnt part of it exactly. why do you think they made the custom maps forums? JUST for releasing custom maps? why do you think benryde made all those NEED HELP AGAIN posts. because he had no fuckin clue what to do and needed someone else to guide him in that spucific situation. just because someone posts a topic on requiring assistence with something doesnt mean they are taking the easy way. it means they cant find what they are looking for on their own and resort to people who have found it out already. its quicker is easier and its a much higher chance of finding what you need instead of doing constant experiements that take up space and time. seriously though think through what your talking about when you state it and stop posting on my topic if its gonna be off topic. you dont have an answer for me so stop arguing. im pretty sure we are all breaking some rules by not keeping it civil on topic or decent so lets all STOP posting off topic unless its useful to the thread.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Asking for help should be a last resort anyway, incase something can't be found on the internet.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(LordTrilobite @ Sep 26 2008, 08:36 PM) »
    Asking for help should be a last resort anyway, incase something can't be found on the internet.
    ...i just said up there in my last reply i didnt FIND it thats why i was hoping other people did and could give me a link if not a little explanation, but no i get people crying about how i am trying to learn quicker then they did. its not feeding off others information its a desperate way to get what i need in hammer.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    edited September 2008
    20 seconds on Google.

http://www.editlife.net/tutorial.php?showbio=yes

Oh and look at this, it's on a website that I've already linked you to.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Displacements

Bottom of the page.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 26 2008, 09:04 PM) »
    20 seconds on Google.

http://www.editlife.net/tutorial.php?showbio=yes

Oh and look at this, it's on a website that I've already linked you to.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Displacements

Bottom of the page.
    could have said it was at the bottom the first time you posted it. and seriously was it that hard to just give me a link or help me with doing it instead of tell me how not to get my resources?
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 26 2008, 02:09 PM) »
    and seriously was it that hard to just give me a link or help me with doing it instead of tell me how not to get my resources?
    Is it really that hard to look it up your self?
    image-1.gif
    Sigh...

Maybe you should thank him instead of attacking him, again.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(LordTrilobite @ Sep 26 2008, 09:13 PM) »
    Sigh...

Maybe you should thank him instead of attacking him, again.

damnit trilo im not attacking him it was a mere question. i never said i was ungreatful though it took him 5 replies sleep.gif. and yes because it is harder to look it up myself due to the fact that its nearly impossible to go to random valve forums and find the right thing assuming its even on that forum or help desk or website or what ever. cuz you know i would TOTALLY ask for a link if i couldnt find it myself sleep.gif
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Look at the second post of this thread. I linked you to a website that will tell you everything you need to know about mapping with Hammer.

I didn't tell you to scroll down? What you can't do that on your own?
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 26 2008, 09:33 PM) »
    Look at the second post of this thread. I linked you to a website that will tell you everything you need to know about mapping with Hammer.

I didn't tell you to scroll down? What you can't do that on your own?

well sue me if i dont wanna bother checking every square inch of the page or link that might possibly be with the page.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 26 2008, 02:41 PM) »
    well sue me if i dont wanna bother checking every square inch of the page or link that might possibly be with the page.
    That's your problem, you have no determination or self motivation.

Next time some one gives you a link, take a microscope to that page and any other linking pages.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(-AOD- Bruce Campbell @ Sep 26 2008, 09:50 PM) »
    That's your problem, you have no determination or self motivation.

Next time some one gives you a link, take a microscope to that page and any other linking pages.
    ... why ... thats about as pointless taking a year to figure it out. why would anyone wanna search slowly through one page when it might not even have what your looking for and also have about 500 or more words of text in there.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    With an attitude like that we would still be in the stone age.
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE(CrackaPolly @ Sep 27 2008, 02:47 AM) »
    With an attitude like that we would still be in the stone age.
    not really. well if everyone had my opinion probably but i only have my opinion because i know other people are smarter and can do things that need to be done by their own free will
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN