annoying error i keep getting

MitchMitch Banned
edited 5:11AM in Community Maps
on a map that actually works.
failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer
which means???...i play tested it before and it worked perfectly fine no slow down no leaks no errors no problems no nothing. but now all i added was a block bullets. and some more brushes which i duplicated a whole bunch of times to make a big sign. anyone know what the problem is? is it just my internet or...i didnt even touch the vertex manipulator tool making this map nothing is involved with carve clipping or vertex stuff.
MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN

Comments

• MitchMitch Banned
    edited 5:11AM
    wooow two days and nobody has even touched the custom maps forums...are you all occupied with something uber important or is the custom maps forums dying?
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    I put your error in google, and found these links, hope they help.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60382

or this

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=286597

I'm suprized that your relying on the PVKII community to help you out wink.gif

x
  • MitchMitch Banned
    lol well honestly its the best resource for good mappers i have found so far and i use it for lots of other things too. plus i dont really feel like finding better sources to help me with my mapping problems.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • -AOD- Bruce Campbell-AOD- Bruce Campbell Authorized Creator, Senior
    edited September 2008
    Here's a great site that'll tell what all the error(s) the Hammer Compiler finds, and how to solve them;

http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=errors

I'm having a error of mine own;
    error: material MISC/CARIB_UNDERWATER doesn't have a $bottommaterial
    image-1.gif
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Bruce, your using an incorrect water material, you need to use one that isn't labeled underwater, as an underwater material wont reference in an underwater/bottom material. Try and use the material that is the surface of the water
    edited September 2008
    QUOTE(Gaz @ Sep 16 2008, 02:57 PM) »
    Bruce, your using an incorrect water material, you need to use one that isn't labeled underwater, as an underwater material wont reference in an underwater/bottom material. Try and use the material that is the surface of the water
    If I use the surface texture then I get a fishbowl effect. Using the underwater texture on the inside of my 3D sky box makes it look like the water goes on forever.

image-1.gif
    edited September 2008
    Wow, after finding that website my map is now 100% error free. Mitch you should really check it out.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    dont worry i already bookmarked that site after some one else (banjo boy) pointed it out after yet a nother death of one of my pvkii custom maps on a topic i posted, to be spusific the map was gonna be called castle_tower. gonna have a shrine a black smiths shop a jail a resturaunt a barrel shack an inn a mini prison down in the tower stairs and an amazing huge skybox where you can see a nother castle in the far distance a volcano and even the rest of the castle your sopost to be on in the tower. but banjo boy posted about literally 100 errors with my map and one of the serious ones my eye caught in the gathering of problems was PROP LIMIT! i must have all the props i currently have which is the problem.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Sep 17 2008, 12:07 AM) »
    dont worry i already bookmarked that site after some one else (banjo boy) pointed it out after yet a nother death of one of my pvkii custom maps on a topic i posted, to be spusific the map was gonna be called castle_tower. gonna have a shrine a black smiths shop a jail a resturaunt a barrel shack an inn a mini prison down in the tower stairs and an amazing huge skybox where you can see a nother castle in the far distance a volcano and even the rest of the castle your sopost to be on in the tower. but banjo boy posted about literally 100 errors with my map and one of the serious ones my eye caught in the gathering of problems was PROP LIMIT! i must have all the props i currently have which is the problem.
    Umm you really should keep your map simple. Don't do what I did with AODIsland. For my first map it's a huge undertaking. If the prop limit is an issue, then you're using way too many props anyways. Hammers prop limit I think is just over 1K, that should be more than enough for any mapper.
    image-1.gif
    QUOTE(Gaz @ Sep 16 2008, 02:57 PM) »

See this is what I'm talking about. If I use the surface texture underwater looks terrible. I know this doesn't happen in pvk_Island.
    image-1.gif
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Island uses misc/carib_underwater.vmt in the 3d skybox

This took me an age to figure out smile.gif But looks way better biggrin.gif
    QUOTE(Gaz @ Sep 18 2008, 01:29 AM) »
    Island uses misc/carib_underwater.vmt in the 3d skybox

This took me an age to figure out smile.gif But looks way better biggrin.gif
    That's what I was doing too, but then I get errors.
    image-1.gif
  • MitchMitch Banned
    i like...totally love how you two have turned the topic of this thread from my error in to your map tongue.gif but anyways. hey umm bruce im gonna send you a pm with a question involving my bk maps im gonna make.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN