Beta 2.2 just over the horizon!

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
edited August 2008 in PVKII News & Announcements
Greetings!

Carlton Stevens, from the site Rabbit-Robot.com, has written a great article on PVKII. Using in-depth story telling techniques and incorporating an interview with me, Carlton has put together an amazing feature on our mod, detailing his first impressions and experiences.

"I unsheathed my cutlass and the two of us circled on the top of a giant waterfall. Slipping in and out, parrying, blocking, both our swords flew back and forth. Below us all three teams clashed in a rain of sparks and gunfire. But this little dance was just between me and this huge lumbering gaggle of armor. I parried perfectly, stunning him, and with a strong swipe he fell in a heap off the top of the waterfall and into the shallow water below.

I picked up the chest while laughing maniacally. I just had a sword fight that could have been straight out of a movie. And I won.

And then I was hit in the back of the head with a throwing axe.
"

Altogether the article is a great read and definitely worth checking out.

Beta 2.2 is well underway and very close to release! We're expecting to release within the next week or two.

To give you an idea of what to expect, Jahhur has been hard at work editting pvk_arena and pvk_saints to fit the flow of gameplay better. Arena has a very new look:

There are plenty of new features as well, including some new grail effects for the HUD:

Those of you who haven't been following the Dev Journals may also enjoy reading about the new Parrot Naming Feature.
A changelog will be available soon enough, we don't want to spoil everything!

On another note, the new Gestir class is underway for 2.3. You may have seen a picture in one of the forum threads of the first person spear! If not, you should join the community at http://forums.pvkii.com
Ferretking has recently joined the team as a concept artist. He's already working on the new classes and has provided us with two colored poses:

imageimage

That's all for now, I look forward to our next news post which should include download links!

badass.jpg

Comments

• KrogothKrogoth Senior
    edited August 2008
    Can't wait! smile.gif

Also where is that picture of the first person spear? I can't find it.
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 11:32AM
    2.2 looks awesome for just some tweaks and fixes! Arena looks much nicer, and I can't wait for Gestir in 2.3. Ferretking has got some nice paintings there as well biggrin.gif
  • macsaredecentmacsaredecent Members
    Woot!
  • Brother PedroBrother Pedro Senior
    The new arena looks pretty promising. I guess there is just no simple way to retain the original layout and still balance the skirmishers on that map.
  • AmerikaAmerika Honkey Senior
    OH BOY
    imageI love eggs!
    QUOTE (Gee Hawd @ Nov 20 2007, 11:59 AM) »
    They're all transsexuals... but you wouldn't know that, YOU FAILED THE TEST

• SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    those concept arts are looking good.
    The man at arms is a really good one.
    A Signature
  • JervanJervan Senior
    And so the exciting wait begins!

Only criticism I have of the art is the faces are too generic / blank. Even so, Ferretking is an awesome artist! biggrin.gif

Now to find that first-person spear...
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited August 2008
    Those illustrations look pvktastic biggrin.gif. Job well done.

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• JanrokJanrok Senior
    edited August 2008

awesome news btw biggrin.gif
  • Baby MastaBaby Masta Members
    icon_yay.gif 2.2 is almost coming cant wait till the new classes btw great concept art
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    I haven't been able to play grail since it was released because of the HUD, so I'm definitely looking forwards to the need HUD look.
  • MitchMitch Banned
    two weeks? bullshit, it took them months to release beta 2.1. if 2.2 is coming in the next two weeks then i am expecting hardly anything worthet to be changed...or every single person on the pvkii team has been working 24/7 then i believe lots will be changed and released soon. and why does the sharp shooter look like robin hood as a pirate?
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Aug 18 2008, 11:34 PM) »
    two weeks? bullshit, it took them months to release beta 2.1. if 2.2 is coming in the next two weeks then i am expecting hardly anything worthet to be changed...or every single person on the pvkii team has been working 24/7 then i believe lots will be changed and released soon. and why does the sharp shooter look like robin hood as a pirate?

dont complain...

btw those drawings are amazing! can't wait for the new classes! i just hope the wait wont be as long as 2.1 though
  • DuckSauceDuckSauce May the Sauce be with you! Senior
    QUOTE(Mitch @ Aug 18 2008, 11:34 PM) »

you need the read the news more:

QUOTE(Crazytalk @ Aug 3 2008, 06:37 AM) »
    First, I want to clear something up that has changed recently. In the past we had plans of making 2.2 the Orange Box Engine patch. However, we're currently in the process of working on 2.2 as a bug fix only patch with a few additions and changes. We were originally going to name it 2.1.1, but decided to go with 2.2 to avoid confusion. This is only a minor naming difference, hopefully everyone will understand. So now our original plans for the Orange Box engine and other features patch will be named 2.3.

voila 2.2 is now a bug fix only patch, they're just trying to balance the game better and what not and implement just a few small features(but still like naming parrots)
    so you can just go cry about how many months it will take to release 2.3 ok? have fun!

and concept art looks awesome biggrin.gif will there be gestir concept art or do you already have a model for him
    The sauciest person in the world.
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    i think they already got the gestir model tongue.gif
    A Signature
  • l'avairl'avair Members
    I like the old sharpshooter concept art more, the one with the fluffy shirt, that one looks more like a colonial american, man at arms is nice though
  • [BD]ScurvySam[BD]ScurvySam Senior
    Didn't we already have concept art for those two classes?
    What did you guys do to Hengishammer??? icon_restless.gif
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
  • DuckSauceDuckSauce May the Sauce be with you! Senior
    QUOTE([BD]ScurvySam @ Aug 19 2008, 08:05 PM) »

What did you guys do to Hengishammer??? icon_restless.gif

probably this:
    QUOTE(chilly @ Aug 11 2008, 10:20 AM) »
    we asked him that once(crazytalk), then he murdered half the team. ever wonder why b2 took so long?

*shiver*
    The sauciest person in the world.
  • Ozymandias187Ozymandias187 Members
    That article really was great. Really summed up the good aspects of PVKII.

Also can't wait for the man-at-arms and ghestir. Probably my two favorite classes from original PVK. The sharpshooter will also add a lot of dimensions to the game, I know he'll make desert ruin a bit more interesting.

And I don't really understand the concept of complaining about the time-table for a free product... updates or no, you're technically getting your money's worth. And the PVKII team is showing an incredible amount of activity and progress.

Keep up the good work guys! You're making excellent improvements to my favorite mod!
  • The Red CrayonThe Red Crayon 3-7-77 Vigilante #21901923 Senior
    edited August 2008
    Wow this is going to be ultra-rad, Great job on the updates dev's.

off topic a bit sorry but is the man of arms going to have a flail? I beg for the return of the flail and morningstar.
    My ingame name is Caligula, i play every so often.
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    QUOTE(The Red Crayon @ Aug 20 2008, 12:14 PM) »
    Wow this is going to be ultra-rad, Great job on the updates dev's.

off topic a bit sorry but is the man of arms going to have a flail? I beg for the return of the flail and morningstar.

http://www.pvkii.com/weaponsmana.php
  • BenRydeBenRyde Senior
    is there a little chance, that u can fix the point_viewcontrol problem in multiplayer mode?
    i wanne use controlable vehicles in my maps, but it really doesnt work and that makesme crazy;)

best wiches...Ben
    edited August 2008
    halberd?

This is the true weapon for the Man at Arms!
  • frigatefrigate Senior
    I concur with the flail. The only reason to give him the halberd is so he can pp two handers, just let the mace and buckler fill that role. Then there is one less weapon to animate and everything is awesome.
    Member of the one territory party. One tower in desert ruin, one head on colossus, one boat in grog boat, one horn tower in helms deep is our slogan. Obviously specials (knight) break territory style game play, so our party supports a server side and mapping option to have specials turned off.
  • JanrokJanrok Senior
    The flail belongs to the HK as far as I know.
    I just go with tradition, the flail always owned, therefore the flail is badass.
  • Ozymandias187Ozymandias187 Members
    If PVK goes to the orange box engine, does that mean we'll have gibs? Because that'd be nice. Especially if the flail gets implemented. Nothing like winding up for few a seconds, then splattering someone all over the walls.
  • Jean LafitteJean Lafitte Senior
    edited August 2008
    Even though Ferretking is good, I totally disagree and argue about that sharpshooter concept art doesn't look like the previous one, nor the wrong captain hat does... i mean i loved so much the old fashioned and stylish white shirt, this what a pirate must wear, even davey jones was alike, and in '700 a sea dog would have probably worn leather boots, pants and long shirt (not showed itself), plus jerkin in case of colder conditions. Look, centuries ago that white shirt that is now used with ties, often came with a jerkin and often was accompanied by a belt:

The main difference is that the pirate captain worn a long golden-embroided jacket instead of jerkin, (arr, i'm right i found out the first image as i depicted)

wich makes him more eminent, with another important feature, the garish white embroided neckcloth wich was the precursor of the raw ties nowadays, which davey jones missed, bad for him:

That's all folks, i hope model changes details, type pirate shirt on google images, that's what it should look like, all without the following details- 1 without short sleeves, i couldnt see any on pirate shirt search 2 this kind of boots are worn by fishermen todays 3 that gilet is the one green for hunters, and 4 sniper rifles with long bead such as it should have appeared only at black mesa facilities.... Good handling but bad for details -__________________-
    model : image
    "Beware the salty dogs"
    *Grammar nazis you've been warned about Muphry's law*
  • PLAYLIFEPLAYLIFE Senior
    QUOTE(Ozymandias187 @ Aug 24 2008, 03:57 AM) »
    If PVK goes to the orange box engine, does that mean we'll have gibs? Because that'd be nice. Especially if the flail gets implemented. Nothing like winding up for few a seconds, then splattering someone all over the walls.

What is gibs?
  • BaldrBaldr Senior
    edited August 2008
    http://www.pvkii.com/weaponslord.php
    Too bad the flail isn't avaliable until 6.0...