Pvk_Valhalla [REL]

LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves.Senior
edited December 2008 in Community Maps
Odin's Great Hall
I'm working on a map called pvk_valhalla, so of course it's situated in and around Valhalla. I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible while at the same time keeping it fun to play, so I had to scale down the hall considerably to make it even remotely playable. Though I'm filling a lot of stuff in and making up stuff as I go

Some info about viking mythology and how it fits in with Valhalla.
During battle the Valkyries decide who live and who die, then choose the bravest/worthy/etc that have died. Half of those are given to Freyja, the other half are given to Odin, where they are welcomed in to his hall, Valhalla. There they feast on mead and pork every day until Ragnarok, the end of the world, to fight along side Odin against the giants.

Beta 1 released!
Fpsbanana mirror:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/74247

Game mode: Team Deathmatch

Screenshots:

I'll see you in Valhalla!
dragonattack_sig.jpg

Comments

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited 5:37PM
    Awesome.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• darktimesdarktimes Senior
    is it only inside or also outside?

the hall need tables! biggrin.gif
    _
    why are you reading this?
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Both in- and outside. The hall has tables.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    QUOTE (darktimes @ May 17 2008, 05:00 PM) »
    is it only inside or also outside?

the hall need tables! biggrin.gif

Have you even looked at the screenshots?
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    You know what you could do, pending on the size of the gameplay area you want of course, cut the long house in half and put the rest in 3-d skybox. Just an idea that might help with the draw distance - but then again you would have to use brush work tables etc.
    More suggestionz... more cover. Don't want them damn archers pwning in Valhalla.
    You could also, make it a push game mode and the objective is to destroy the doors of the house - first one to the feast wins. Pending on the size of the map of course, I guess you could go with deathmatch. more ideas biggrin.gif pm me.

I like your history addition in the post too, perhaps Ragnarök can be placed in the map somehow....hmm..

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• darktimesdarktimes Senior
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ May 17 2008, 03:57 PM) »
    Have you even looked at the screenshots?

the hall need more, bigger tables
    _
    why are you reading this?
    QUOTE (Colonel Sanders @ May 17 2008, 07:25 PM) »
    You know what you could do, pending on the size of the gameplay area you want of course, cut the long house in half and put the rest in 3-d skybox. Just an idea that might help with the draw distance - but then again you would have to use brush work tables etc.

Fuck no!
    QUOTE (Colonel Sanders @ May 17 2008, 07:25 PM) »
    More suggestionz... more cover. Don't want them damn archers pwning in Valhalla.
    You could also, make it a push game mode and the objective is to destroy the doors of the house - first one to the feast wins. Pending on the size of the map of course, I guess you could go with deathmatch. more ideas biggrin.gif pm me.

I like your history addition in the post too, perhaps Ragnarök can be placed in the map somehow....hmm..

Yes I plan to add lots more cover and maybe tip over some of the tables, at the moment yes I think I'll make it Deathmatch.

the hall need more, bigger tables

It already has about ten decent sides tables, and making the tables bigger will only make it seem that the hall is smaller.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • ParaSwarmParaSwarm PVKII Team, Applicant
    That map looks awesome. I love the long hall. I don't think it needs to be added to the skybox unless it's really laggy, though I don't imagine that it would be very laggy. Can't wait to play on it. VALHALLA!
    Beta 1 released!

Check the first post for the download.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    I'll be the first one to say it.

VALHALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    I'd just quickly like to add to things to do with pvk_valhalla on a rainy day is to make the rooftops in the outside areas jump-on-able.
    imageimage
  • pleasefpleasef Senior
    QUOTE (Harlief @ Mar 20 2009, 10:34 AM) »
    I'd just quickly like to add to things to do with pvk_valhalla on a rainy day is to make the rooftops in the outside areas jump-on-able.

Yes, this. I'd also make it more obvious where the map is sealed off, right now theres an area where you're just blocked from walking. This is strangely enough one of my favourite map, it's simple yet fun!
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
    QUOTE (Harlief @ Mar 20 2009, 10:34 AM) »

I did that on purpose, it will be even more of an archer heaven if those roofs are walkable. I could perhaps make them a bit higher so it's move visible you cant get on. Also, I really don't understand the first part of your sentence, you want to modify pvk_valhalla yourself?

Yes, this. I'd also make it more obvious where the map is sealed off, right now theres an area where you're just blocked from walking. This is strangely enough one of my favourite map, it's simple yet fun!

There is only one area that vaguely fits that discription, just outside the middle valhalla exit, but there are rocks and cliffs in the way, I think it's rather obvious.

Still, pvk_valhalla is far from finished. I plan to improve it in the future.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Mar 21 2009, 06:32 AM) »
    I did that on purpose, it will be even more of an archer heaven if those roofs are walkable. I could perhaps make them a bit higher so it's move visible you cant get on. Also, I really don't understand the first part of your sentence, you want to modify pvk_valhalla yourself?

I wish I knew how, and that hammer didn't crash my computer. I was more saying I wanted to add to the hypothetical list of things to do
    imageimage
    Ah, well suggestions are always welcome. If you have any ideas how to improve the map, I'll gladly hear them.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • FrazzFrazz Senior
    I love this map, it's a ton of fun. but to suggest new ideas might be hard since the map got like...indoors and outdoors and is pretty tiny.