Need help with a map i am making, running problems.

MitchMitch Banned
edited 3:53AM in Community Maps
its called infested prison and it wont run!
hey guys, um i am making a big cool map called infested prison and it started as just a big basic large box! but then grew in to something so much more! it ran perfectly before i started on the tunnels! i am using bits of cylander and the tunnels are gonna look very ugly but its my first real map so i think thats ok! anyway i am having geometry problems according to a good good friend of mine who helped me a bit and gave me some info! all the cylanders are 8 sided and i have (i estimate cuz i am not looking at my map right now) about inbetween 20 and 40 or something like that! anyway right when i put a nother cylander it refuses to run! is there some sort of cylander limit that i dont know about! i did the entire map before but then only soon to find out i had to redo the tunnels (without carve cuz carve causes errors D:) so i did the tunnels with out using carve...well except one! but it still ran after i carved it! so right when i put the next cylander it refuses to run whats wrong does anybody know??? i definitely did not hit the brush limit because my bro showed me the limit and its pretty huge! no way i can reach that in this map! there are a few major parts of the map that i used carve in but the map still ran with the carves so i figured as long as i dont put any more carves it should run! well it didnt. do carves like effect the limit of cylanders or brushes or something? i have even tried making everything nodrawed but it still would not run! please help me i really want to finish this map sad.gif icon_catapult.gif SCREW YOUR HAMMER EDITOR VALVE! YOU RETARDED NUMBSKULLS!
MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN

Comments

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    edited 3:53AM
    Its not got a space in the name has it? You can't have that, use _ instead
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    First thing, use paragraphs, that would make it a lot easier to read.

Second, never ever use carve.

As for the reason why it doesn't want to run, maybe the many tunnels are creating a shit load of visleafs and your pc cant take it, maybe the map is leaking, it could have many reasons.

Though maybe this will help.
    http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (Gaz @ Apr 3 2008, 11:39 AM) »
    Its not got a space in the name has it? You can't have that, use _ instead

i did gaz sad.gif its technically called right now Something_down_there7 that was gonna be its original name cuz i was gonna have a big pit worm my friend was gonna help me input but then i decided infested prison was better! so yeah theres no spaces in it, my friend mallow said it is geometry problems and said i should not make it with carves! i leanred that the hard way. but do carves some how effect the limit of things or what you do later on in the map?
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Apr 3 2008, 11:58 AM) »
    First thing, use paragraphs, that would make it a lot easier to read.

Second, never ever use carve.

As for the reason why it doesn't want to run, maybe the many tunnels are creating a shit load of visleafs and your pc cant take it, maybe the map is leaking, it could have many reasons.

Though maybe this will help.
    http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php

dont be mean about the way i type. i am just used to exclamation marks more!

also it has a skybox so i will fix the leaks later! the sky box works i have done play tests of it. before the error came up it ran fine but then right when i seem to put any more cylanders or brushes or anything it refuses to run. it iwll run right now but its like the maps brush or cylander limit was decreased
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Leaking causes all sorts of problems, fix that before continueing with anything else on the map, seriously.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Apr 4 2008, 04:00 PM) »
    Leaking causes all sorts of problems, fix that before continueing with anything else on the map, seriously.

but shouldnt a skybox fix all the leaks? or does the skybox pretty much do nothing but looks.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    A skybox fixes leaks, that's true. But it also increases your map compilation time drastically.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    you should never surround a map with a giant skybox, the level should contain itself and the skybox should only go where it's needed to display the sky.

badass.jpg

• MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (Crazytalk @ Apr 7 2008, 05:12 AM) »
    you should never surround a map with a giant skybox, the level should contain itself and the skybox should only go where it's needed to display the sky.

I think I found the problem. I was using a bunch of cylanders to make long tunnels! and how else would i make a cylander with a hole through it other then carve! so i made a cylander carved through more then half of it and kept duplicating it so i was just duplicating carves which is bad right? anyways i am workin on a new map now and if i find a way to make cylander tunnel bits right and have the patients for it i will eventually.
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Seriously, don't use carve, make them by hand out of several block brushes.

And it's cylinders btw.

Also, making a cylinder in to a func_detail will improve the overall preformance of the map.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    ok seriously WTF!!!!!!! i am making a new map and i did not even touch the carve tool all i did was lots of displacement and lots of stuff by hand with brushes i mean FUCKING BULLSHIT are you saying i cant use carve OR displacement? god fucking damnit either its my computer or the people at valve who made hammer are fucking IDIOTS!!!!!! god damnit i at least though this map would work but WHAT THE FUCK! god damnit the same error comes up this is bullshit
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited April 2008
    Post your compile log
  • SnoemanSnoeman Members
    edited April 2008
    Try using the Arch tool to make your cylinders. Draw it just like a cylinder and press enter. A little window will pop up. Click "Circle", and then set your wall width to something reasonable. This will make a good hollow cylinder.

Never use hollow or carve. They are bad. They eat babies. They destroy worlds. Don't use them.

Read through the optimization guide posted earlier. It's kind of technical and might debuff your creative inspiration, but it's very important to know how to optimize your maps if you want your map to be successful. Not only does it fix compiling problems, it also increases the player's frame rate on your map.
    Help grow my cities!
    Stratost, Russia
  • MitchMitch Banned
    i think i found the problem or should i say problemZ

clearly rule
    1: hammer hates carve of course
    2: hammer also hates mode three of clip where you put a slice in the brush with out deleting the other side
    and 3: hammer especially hates toentitiy.

cuz i am remaking one of my test maps to make it more fun and i used toentity to a brush and it came up with the geometry problems error again so i deleted that brush and made a new one and it worked fine. God i wish there weren't so many fucking rules i had to avoid making maps >:/
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    I never have problems with brushes where I don't delete the other side when I slice. I do it all the time.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • PeggPegg Senior
    If you want to make tunnels do it this way. Make 4 brushes, with the corners touching eachother. So make them all 40x40xY for example with a 40x40xY hole in the middle, turn all of the inside of them into displacements, subdivide. Add noise, subdivide, add different noise then sew
  • Dae RyusenDae Ryusen Senior
    QUOTE (Mitch @ Apr 9 2008, 10:53 PM) »
    ok seriously WTF!!!!!!! i am making a new map and i did not even touch the carve tool all i did was lots of displacement and lots of stuff by hand with brushes i mean FUCKING BULLSHIT are you saying i cant use carve OR displacement? god fucking damnit either its my computer or the people at valve who made hammer are fucking IDIOTS!!!!!! god damnit i at least though this map would work but WHAT THE FUCK! god damnit the same error comes up this is bullshit

*cough* anger management *cough*

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (Pegg @ Apr 24 2008, 09:49 AM) »
    If you want to make tunnels do it this way. Make 4 brushes, with the corners touching eachother. So make them all 40x40xY for example with a 40x40xY hole in the middle, turn all of the inside of them into displacements, subdivide. Add noise, subdivide, add different noise then sew

thanks but i already made new tunnel bits. I made two arches and put them together to be a tunnel bit my friend says thats not dangerous but cylinders might be anyways i have re redone the tunnels and made them none dangerous cuz my previous tunnel bits were a big cylinder with a carve chunk through it and i kept duplicating that so i was playing with fire.
    But now i have changed the tunnels and it still wont run so what i am gonna do is get rid of alllllllll the brushes i used carve on including the floor. LET THIS MAP LIIIIIIIIIIIIVE i refuse to let it go to the cold loneliness of forgotten maps i think everyone will really like it especially what my friend is going to do with it, i wont say exactly what hes going to implement in to it but i will say about it that i cant do the things hes gonna put in plus its part of the challenge of the map biggrin.gif
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • MitchMitch Banned
    anybody know the burhs limit? or faces limit really? its like 60'000 something?
    or could me not having enough space to run it cause this error? cuz i only have about 388 megabytes to spare i know i need to get rid of some crap but i need most of it...my garrysmod is 23 gigabytes large >.<
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
    Can you show what the error says? that would help.

Also read this: http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Apr 24 2008, 05:48 PM) »
    Can you show what the error says? that would help.

Also read this: http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php

ummmmmm yeah but m yfriend said it was geomtery problems... heres my run log and the error
    Error says: The command failed. Windows reported the error:"The system cannot find the file specified" Do you want to continue?

run log:** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\tanstaafl06\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii" "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
    1 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.vmf
    Brush 59818: MAX_MAP_PLANES
    Side 5
    Texture: EVILTAXI/ET_BLENDMOSSYGRASS2MOSSYGRASSDEAD

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\tanstaafl06\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii" "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
    1 threads
    reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\tanstaafl06\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)

Radiosity Simulator ----
    1 threads
    Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
    Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
    Warning: Couldn't open texlight file c:\program files\steam\steamapps\tanstaafl06\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\lights.rad.
    Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\mapsrc\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\pvkii\maps\Infested_Prison_onmyway6.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (Oh Dae-su @ Apr 24 2008, 03:12 PM) »
    *cough* anger management *cough*

*cough* needs to get laid *cough*
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • DuckSauceDuckSauce May the Sauce be with you! Senior
    edited April 2008
    QUOTE (Mitch @ Apr 26 2008, 06:48 AM) »
    *cough* needs to get laid *cough*

*cough* you have no idea how wrong you are*cough*

oh and he's right
    that swearing and all wasn't needed lol, at least the delete the post after you calm down or rewrite it
    that's what I do when I made a big post full of swearing and such tongue.gif I delete or rewrite the post when I've cooled down a bit
    The sauciest person in the world.
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (DuckSauce @ Apr 26 2008, 07:59 AM) »
    *cough* you have no idea how wrong you are*cough*

oh and he's right
    that swearing and all wasn't needed lol, at least the delete the post after you calm down or rewrite it
    that's what I do when I made a big post full of swearing and such tongue.gif I delete or rewrite the post when I've cooled down a bit

*cough* clearly needs a life *cough*
    and NO i am keeping t hat shit up to insult hammer editor for ever because hammer editor fucking sucks
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • edited 3:53AM
    Copy paste your map and save it with a new name.
    remove your cylinders.
    And remove this brush "59818"
    Melee FTW !
    nobody can defeat me with sword they just need their guns =(
    THAT SUCK
    im just waiting for a decent challenge
    Who can give me a decent challenge WHO ?
  • DuckSauceDuckSauce May the Sauce be with you! Senior
    QUOTE (Mitch @ Apr 28 2008, 02:22 AM) »
    and NO i am keeping t hat shit up to insult hammer editor for ever because hammer editor fucking sucks

hmm
    I tried it a couple of times I found it somewhat frustrating to and didnt invite me to experiment further, still no reason to swear around like that though tongue.gif although I guess you've wasted more time on it then me...
    anyway ever tried UT Editor?
    I did and did a big remake of a map for UT2k4 in it, in the end map didnt work cause mostly map was somewhat fucked up, still learned a lot from making it and for sure UT Editor was actually really great compared to it Hammer Editor somewhat frustrates me, though that may be just about getting over the first steps

anyway why am I blabbering about UT Editor and Hammer Editor, I truly need to get a life lol tongue.gif
    don't worry dear sir I am working on it! but that's doesnt mean my 1337(ohhh the irony) internets life will end so I would have to disapoint you all that I will still be around for some more years to come bwhahahahhaha

MWuHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

it's late and im acting like a mad man!!!!!

meow

sauce out
    must...
    sleeppppp
    ta0-tj02j60121mza
    The sauciest person in the world.
  • MitchMitch Banned
    QUOTE (GhostTheForeigner @ Apr 28 2008, 08:15 PM) »
    Copy paste your map and save it with a new name.
    remove your cylinders.
    And remove this brush "59818"

how do i remove that spucific brush? plus its pretty much forgotten by now i deleted EVERYTHING on the map and it STILL would not run something is just busted
    MOVIEZ AND OLIVE GARDEN
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Click on view. Then click on "go to brush number" . The brush with whatever number is selected.

By the way, my compiling is fucked up, too.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    QUOTE (Mitch @ Apr 28 2008, 01:22 AM) »
    because hammer editor fucking sucks

This is a ban'able offence. Your problems are clearly down to user error.

If you have a leak, then you have entities (func_* etc) touching the void. Make sure that all brushes touching the void are vanilla (eg: pure) un entitied brushes, and that the level is sealed by them.

Perhaps starting small eg: a boxed in level with a light and player_start is a good method to progress on. Building on from there once its compiling properly. Compile often to make sure that if you get an error, you'll know where its come from.

As with all level design, don't build big, build beautiful.