Viking Gestir (Spear Viking) Complete!

HengishammerHengishammer PVKII Team
edited 2:01PM in Dev Journal
Here is the completed Viking Gestir. I didnt do the weapons for him, because they are already underway and I have photo references for them. 8)

"Good men die but death cannot kill their names"- Viking Proverb

Comments

• HaVoKHaVoK PVKII Team
    edited 2:01PM
    Nice biggrin.gif

XVAAG.gif

• SarbaeSarbae Senior
    itneresting goatee
    SARBEA
  • .ico.ico Members
    That's cool :wink: , but why Viking Gestir? What does Gestir mean? tongue.gif And his beard and moustache is a little odd, it seems like they doesn't fit together in a way, at least up to the right.
  • HengishammerHengishammer PVKII Team
    Gestir literally meant "Guest". It's kind of ironic though, because these guys were condsidered the police force for a Jarl. They collected taxes, which made them "Unwelcomed Guests" which is also ironic in itself. They weren't foreigners--these were men who recieved half the pay of the Jarls Personal bodyguards. In terms of structure they were considered to be above a Bondir in terms of payscale and social status.

The Bondir is kind of like a serf or peasant.

I can try to blend in the moustace a little, but mainly the modelers get the idea.

:?

• .ico.ico Members
    You really know a lot about vikings that's sure smile.gif

And when I think about what you said, it's not too weird.. "Gestir" mean "guest" right, and that is a lot like the Norwegian word for "guest" today which is "gjest". And I can see even more resemblance if I take the plural "gjester" ("guests")
    Anyway hehe, my point is that it is a lot like the language we use nowadays too. :wink:
  • RiyuaRiyua Members
    Which is to be expected, Latin and Italian for example.
    I know this has probably been asked a million times and answered in different threads but can you shed some light on who this character is Hengis? Like what weapons he will use etc.
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    just think of the gestir as the new spearman as far as gameplay goes

badass.jpg

Yep--he is essentially, the spear viking. 8)

• JuggernautJuggernaut Senior
    damnnn that is one massive spear, wouldn't wanna be gutted with that thing
    "actually there was a study that if u stare at tits for like 10 mins its equivilent to like running for half a mile or something like that"
  • NorphTehDwarfNorphTehDwarf Senior
    I note the spear vik still has that piddly little sword... thought he'd have something better this time around...
    E Unim Pluribus
    "From One, Many"(Small Pieces!)
    "jump from desertruin tower directly onto ham"- Masmak
    InfiniteJorge: DABNIKESBHJKBHHA!!!!!!!!!11111
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    As if the spear wasnt already overpowered?
  • SarbaeSarbae Senior
    some men are longer than others
    SARBEA
  • LemmingLemming Members
    what about the thing that its hanging on his skirt???
  • Mr.TMr.T Senior
    QUOTE (Juggernaut)
    damnnn that is one massive spear, wouldn't wanna be gutted with that thing

What are you talking about, thatd be fucking awesome.
  • [BD]ScurvySam[BD]ScurvySam Senior
    I thought there wasn't supposed to be a spear viking, rather a spear guy with an axe and a sword or something.
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
  • mulaeeHmulaeeH Members
    i think its for the classical pvk mode...
    Nope--its for both modes of play---all will be explained later when a complete rules post is setup. 8)

• LemmingLemming Members
    is there going to be ragdoll in pvk2?
  • DecipherDecipher Senior
    better be. I wanna skew some corpses on spears.
    On an extended hiatus to focus on school.
  • mulaeeHmulaeeH Members
    haha imagine throwing a javelin and make him stuck to the wall... if you could implent something that make the force of the javelin high enough when it has killed someone, the impact could make the person that died fly a really long way.
    Actually if you played HL2, you would notice that you can pin people to the wall with a crossbow. So that should definately be in PVK2.
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
    :twisted:
  • mulaeeHmulaeeH Members
    ok well scurvysam you are absolutely right... but

first of all there is a limit in distance.... i think if the thing you want to pin into the wall isnt close enough it wont pin it will just bounce off...

try this write phys_pushscale 1000 spawn a npc npc_create npc_combine_s now put him on a high place and far away from a wall... then shoot him at the wall if the pushscale is high enough he should fly real far but he wont pin into the wall. but put him near the wall and he pins...

my wish is to make that wherever you are killing the guy from and no matter how far from a wall it would be cool if he pinned to the wall in pvk2....

but i also want it to be a massive force in the spear to make it action like i mean not like pushscale 1000 but perhaps 50 or something.. besides pvk doesnt base on historical and physical accuracy... so it would be something funny to be like 20 feet away from a guy throw a spear watch him fly 30 feet and pin into the wall really high up. and oh also try writing cl_phystimescale 0.5 i think thats right command... and you can also make a bullet time kind of thing its really cool... and slow time..
  • The Hyper DuckThe Hyper Duck Members
    There's PVK silly and then there's Rocket Crowbar silly. Universal wall-pinnings fall into the latter category.
    I'd think about a meter max from a wall for wall pinning. If it happened every time you killed someone, it just wouldn't be funny after a while. But if it's one of those rare things, well, you get the idea.
    -M. Bison
  • mulaeeHmulaeeH Members
    oh yeah rocket crowbar.... i heard theyre making it for hl2
  • Lohdroz XaianLohdroz Xaian Members
    Sweet spearmen hengis, I was almost afraid to look because he's my favorite class, but he looks awsome.

Just one question though, what about armor? Any mail or leather at all?
    Well, he has a helmet and a shield counting as armor. The way his armor value is now, he's not as lightly armored as the bondi, the ranged class for the vikings.

Keep in mind too that armor values represent experience in battle, how agile the fighter is, as well as physical armor that character possesses.

I hope these names don't enter into the game. N00bs would be confused as hell.

"Damn it, should I be the Bondi or the Gestir? What the hell are they?"
    haha. There will be a short explanation of what they and what weapons they carry. Knight is a household name because it's been romanticized so much throughout history.

In the GUI interface where you choose what class want to play, I think we can write a couple of words describing what they are and what equipment they have. People will get used to it:)