edited January 2011 in Community Maps
[REL]
Te_Keep

Version 2 released!

Updated: Januari 16 2011

Download mirror:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/te_keep_v2.rar

Screenshots:

The tower is the territory, in the buildings around it you can get armour and food and such, and the spawns are outside the round wall

QUOTE (readme content)

Territory mode

Recomended Players
3 to 32 players

Credits

Map made by:
Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Map testing:
VEH
Seruk
Mieszko

Version history

Version 2 (current version)

- Added another territory in the floor below the old one in the keep
- added more detail
- tweaked balance
- made the the rope more accessable
- improved performance

Version 1

- made compatible with 2.3
- improved gameplay balance
- greatly improved eye-candy

Beta 4

- improved preformance
- fixed more minor issues

Beta 3

- added more overal eyecandy
- added viking axe ammo
- improved performance
- fixed some minor graphical errors

Beta 2

- added more overal eyecandy
- added and alternate route to the top of the tower territory
- improved performance
- fixed some minor graphical errors

dragonattack_sig.jpg

Comments

• VEHVEH Members
    edited 2:49PM
    wow nice, my first impression : wow it's real, it's a picture.

• BadGuyBadGuy Senior
    Make sure to make the top accessable from multiple directions, not just that door or it might get hkshielded a bit too often tongue.gif.
    "if you lived near me I would've drowned you in a bucket of your mothers blood" - Wolfy Snackrib
    QUOTE (Sven Svennson @ Mar 9 2010, 04:12 AM) »
    Maybe I need a break from PVK.

• LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Screenshots updated (refresh if you still see one old screenshot)

Make sure to make the top accessable from multiple directions, not just that door or it might get hkshielded a bit too often .

I was already brainstorming of how to avoid blocking/camping, I was thinking of a graplinghook on the outside of the tower, but that might get you up too fast.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • zero.exezero.exe Members
    I like the look of this, I think it could tune out nice.

Possible fixes: Better texture alignment on the well, darker texture for the castles lower/outer supports.

And for another way up: Add a sort of wooden platform, half way up of the outer wall around the castle. Then add 2 ladders, from the ground 2 the platform 2 the top. Use the platform to meet the two ladders and be walkable on. You may have to use 2/3 platforms depending on the height of the castle plus more ladders.

If you set it up right, the ladders won't be annoying and possibly destruct good game play.
  • Number NineNumber Nine Senior
    Looks good. To avoid door camping, perhaps make another enterence, such as a broken wall on the other side. Keep it up!
    I tried making a palisade wall, and it looked good, but Hammer crashed when I tried to compile it, so I'm switching ot a stone encircling wall.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • SeruKSeruK Members
    Looking good I'd say, keep working.
    Something really weird happened, I finished the outer stone wall, but when I compile it I can only play the previous compiled version off the map ingame. it's really weird, it has the same file name so it should overwright the old one (wich I almost always do), but now it doesn't seem to be saved.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • SeruKSeruK Members
    Delete the .bsp (or whatever, actual map file y'know that you get when you compile) and try to run again? I dunno.
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    Could use more segments in the tower cylinder. Looks like you only have 12. I'd go for 32 to make it look smoother.

If it's supposed to be in that blocky shape like that, try rounding off the edges to they are not so sharp.
    Screenshots updated!

The enclosing wall is now finished and I fixed the problems I mentioned earlier.

Could use more segments in the tower cylinder. Looks like you only have 12. I'd go for 32 to make it look smoother.

If it's supposed to be in that blocky shape like that, try rounding off the edges to they are not so sharp.

Hmm, maybe you're right, it's supposed to be round btw (yes it has only 12). but I'd have to rebuild nearly the whole tower to give it more segments, maybe I'll use the clipping tool to make it a bit rounder on the outside.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • Number NineNumber Nine Senior
    Needs more exitement inside of the wall, 3 buildings is too plain for that area. Also, make it a bit more gritty, like broken walls and fires and stuff.
    edited April 2007
    There will be two more buildings inside the walls though, barracks and a supply shed.

Edit:
    I just got an idea, maybe I'm also gonna add a small toilet building near the walls.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Beta 1 released!
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • FaoLanFaoLan Members, Senior
    edited April 2007
    It looks great,

Nice work.
  • TravellaTravella Members
    very good map but i have some suggestions.

Fix the hangings of weapons, now it seems so they hang in the air.

At the oven (dont remember what its called in english) when you pick up the knight armor, and when it
    respawns it seems so it comes out from the table (maybe with the other clases also dont know).

And maybe fix the well so there are some water in it or make it deeper so you dont see the end.

And maybe a hole in the oven also smile.gif
    (so the smoke goes out in the shimney)
    not necessary but it would be more realistic.
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    I didnt test the map on a public server, i just made my own and looked for stuff for about 15 minutes.

Here is the first impression + flaws:

Seems like a nice map, i dont think it will work in a 18 players server.
    Need to add more routes to the tower.
    Need to fix some textures, as they dont blend well (mostly walls)

Overall it seems like a cute map and i like the idea.

Now the flaws:

The textures dont blend together here, and in alot of parts in this whole wall.
    Same goes to the tower.
    Something doesnt look natural in here.

The shadow is green?
    The shadow of models seems to be green, it happens to all models on the map.

Missing brushes:
    Check all the three gate areas.

Light leak:

Black hole ohmy.gif

You placed many weapon models in the map, but some of them dont make metal sound when you hit them.
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    White line:

Bad black look, prolly the shadow cause this: (happens in other similiar parts of the wall)
    Thanks for the detailed review, but there are a lot of problems you mentioned that I can't fix, like the light leak (the wall goes through the ground so it shouldn't leak), and black holes (textures with zero light) are only fixable by adding more light entities, I also can't fix the white line in the gatehouse of the tower since that is caused by a bug in Hammer (the compile messes up some stuff).

But I'll fix as many missing brushes and badly wrapped textures asap.

I've also been thinking a lot about alternate entrances to the top of the tower, but the only ideas I got so far are a broken wall (I don't think the tower would be able to keep standing upright) and a grapling hook with rope attached to the top of the tower (but I think that route would be too fast).
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    I thought kow75 wrote a solution for the white lines in the england thread, but i might be wrong.
  • Squeebo2435Squeebo2435 Senior
    Awesome! I want it...
    QUOTE (Squeebo2435 @ Jun 7 2007, 11:05 PM) »
    Awesome! I want it...

Do you mean the map or this?
    I thought kow75 wrote a solution for the white lines in the england thread, but i might be wrong.

Btw, I'm gonna randomize the spawns in the next version to prevent spawn camping, and I also think this will greatly balance the map, because no team has a shorter route too the tower. The spawns will still be in the same locations though (in front of the gates).
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • chillychilly Senior, Drunk and Disorderly
    That might turn it into a deathmatch, spawn camping in desertruin isnt that bad normally... If you have each spawn seperated from the others then its OK.
    move along
  • edited 2:49PM
    Just browsing, but the oddly colored prop shadows may be your light_environment's ambient color at work. If it isn't white already, it should be.

Juuuuuust checkin'!
    user posted image
    Yes it is, the coloured shadows are indeed caused by the env light, but the light will be a lot duller if i fix it.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • edited 2:49PM
    I don't get how the ambient color would make a positive difference... what's the deal?
    user posted image
    well, I just copied the colour settings from the developers guide that fitted best with teh sky I chose, though, maybe it's a bug in PVKII.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    BETA 2 RELEASED!!

Check first post for screenshots and download.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Bump.

I plan to release a new version of this map shortly after the pvk Beta 2 comes out.

fixed a lot of mis-alligned textures, fixed the coloured shadows, improved preformance and improved gameplay balance.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Align the texture in the 6. screen, if you haven't done so.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?