Arena map

YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
edited February 2007 in Dev Journal
Hi,

Long time since a mapping journal has been put up.
Anyhow, I'm building an arena styled map for PVKII, the reason I'm telling you this is cause I want feedback.
I got a few questions for the public and I hope you people can answer them.
Ok , here it goes:

1. Would you play an arena map, why/why not ?
2. Do you think the arena should be entirely open with pillars (Like the colloseum map in PVK1)
3. If not, what do you think should be added to the arena itself to improve the gameplay? (Explain correctly please)
3.1 Would a smaller arena inside the larger one be better?
4. What visuals would you like to see? (Reasonable ones please!)

The spawns are NOT on the field itself anymore , each team has a seperate spawn and needs to walk to the arena.

Thanks and Greets, YeeHaa

PVKII Mapper
sigBGfor.jpg

Comments

• Parrot of WarParrot of War Senior
    edited 1:52PM
    1. Yes, as long as it's good wink.gif
    2. The arena part should be a lot like pvk_colloseum.
    3. I think there should be the main arena area, and also you should be able to access the back corridors, rooms, and seats and stuff like that.
    3.1 I'm not too fond of this idea.
    4. Maybe it could be like a Roman colloseum, or you could go a completely different route and make a theater map (like the globe theater). I actually think the theater map would fit better since that was around the Golden Age of Pirates that theaters were popular. It would be about the same design as an arena, except a with a stage. It would be cool going behind scene and fighting back there. Of course it would be MUCH bigger than the globe theater.
    *Anti-Ninja Squad*
  • Roddy BixlarRoddy Bixlar No Man Members, Senior
    edited February 2007
    1. Yes, I'd play an arena map if it was good.
    2. Like Penguin said, kind of like pvk_colosseum, but make it a deathmatch map, not a territory map. It's an arena, there's supposed to be slaughter going on.
    3. Don't make it entirely wide open, it would be pretty lame to be fighting in a giant circle, add some things here and there. [An overturned chariot, 'weapon racks', some kind of debris to jumpover/hidebehind
    3.1 I'm not sure I follow, a mini arena area inside the bigger arena.... then a smaller one in that one.. and so on? You'll have to explain it to me further.
    4. Well, I'm imagining a Roman coliseum, because of pvk_coliseum, but it doesn't really fit with PVK. Definitely some kind of castle setting, circular, grass on the ground- not dirt, some kind of hills [don't have to be big], OR it could be in a setting similar to Desert Ruin, big yellow pieces of stone sitting around. Maybe some kind of tower/encampment to offer ranged classes some place to go. Could add a house or two to the field.

Just a few ideas I threw out, feel free to disregard all of them, smile.gif

*Pro Ninja Alliance*
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    See picture at Question 3.1 for more detailed info smile.gif (Red part)

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

• BladeBlade PVKII Team
    edited February 2007
    QUOTE (YeeHaa @ Feb 25 2007, 11:08 PM) »
    Hi,

Long time since a mapping journal has been put up.
    Anyhow, I'm building an arena styled map for PVKII, the reason I'm telling you this is cause I want feedback.
    I got a few questions for the public and I hope you people can answer them.
    Ok , here it goes:

2. Do you think the arena should be entirely open with pillars (Like the colloseum map in PVK1)
    3. If not, what do you think should be added to the arena itself to improve the gameplay? (Explain correctly please)
    4. What visuals would you like to see? (Reasonable ones please!)

The spawns are NOT on the field itself anymore , each team has a seperate spawn and needs to walk to the arena.

Thanks and Greets, YeeHaa

1) Do i have a choice? smile.gif it will probably be on any server as its an offical map but i am sure you will get the job done and make a good map.
    2) It should be open, but with more obstacles and detail in order to keg whoring, range advantage, etc.
    3)Well, first of all i think the ground shouldnt be even at some places of the map, so players could hide inside when ducking from range attacks.
    You can also add fortified locations on the arena too, like little ascent to a little post surround by low walls in the middle of the areana, anything like this that would give players advantage but at the time would even the map for them.
    4) medium.
    5) snow could be ideal here. even some snow-man around, etc.

Maybe one good tactical trap on the map, though i am not a fan of traps, i think it makes the maps less serious, unless it is placed in a tactical lcoation and being used in that way, too.

Just learn from the errors and mistakes of the old colloseum.

Good luck, hopefully when you show us some pictures we could give you more ideas. (as we will know what style you are looking for)

Edit:
    When i made the post the image wasnt there, just a note.
    The image reminds me of a pvk1 map, forgot its name. smile.gif
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Yes, because the theme is awesome, and the gameplay is very suitable for duels

I haven't played PVK1, so I can't answer this question.

Maybe some elevators like the real colloseum had

No, one big arena is better imo.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • edited 1:52PM
    it all looks pretty solid
    I think it should go down, into the ground, instead of up.
  • EisigerEisiger Keg Whore Senior
    edited February 2007
    Without looking at anything and just your first post, my worries lie within your walking to the stadium from the spawn point. It'd be a real bother if people just started camping the spawn gates. I find that, unless they are coming out in groups, a deathmatch map is normally fine with random shared spawn locations.

What would be fun to have are added layers. Remember how people kept sv_gravity'ing their way into the stadium seats? Allow a way up. Basically, just keep it in an arena feel, without being too single-layered or narrowed.
  • Clark DennisClark Dennis Senior
    Yes, I'd play an arena map. And I know some friends who have been asking me when there'll be an arean map since before 1.0 wink.gif
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    edited February 2007
    QUOTE (Eisiger Biskuit @ Feb 26 2007, 12:38 AM) »
    Without looking at anything and just your first post, my worries lie within your walking to the stadium from the spawn point. It'd be a real bother if people just started camping the spawn gates. I find that, unless they are coming out in groups, a deathmatch map is normally fine with random shared spawn locations.

What would be fun to have are added layers. Remember how people kept sv_gravity'ing their way into the stadium seats? Allow a way up. Basically, just keep it in an arena feel, without being too single-layered or narrowed.

Isn't it the same?Waiting for someone to spawn and slaying him (Aka pvk1 colloseum) or waiting infront of the gate.

Anyhow, what about making one part of the arena caved in ?
    http://web.media.mit.edu/~bchow/photos/Ass...lloseum%203.jpg
    Like so , having one half being just sand and and the other being the 'fortifications' and some hallways to hide in.

I'm not too fond of the 'letting people on stairs' part, as visibility will increase etc. I think giving more freedom in another way would decrease this need.

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

• AndypAndyp Senior
    edited February 2007
    I reckon there should be multiple levels assuming this hasnt already been mentioned. Yknow like bottom level then higher and higher getting smaller like the traditional wedding cake, ive seen the picture and it states a higher platform in the middle but that just sounds like the colluseum map.
    Shot at 2007-06-27

Steven Segal should be the joker in the next Nolan batman film, he has the weight of many successful years of acting behind him,( well he has weight behind him at least), and I think he would do it perfectly:

"and my father turns to me and says 'why so chubby?', comes at me with the pamphlet, 'why so chubby'. Sticks the pamphlet in my mouth, 'lets put a diet on that belly of yours' aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd........why so chubby?"
    QUOTE (YeeHaa @ Feb 26 2007, 10:58 AM) »
    Isn't it the same?Waiting for someone to spawn and slaying him (Aka pvk1 colloseum) or waiting infront of the gate.

Anyhow, what about making one part of the arena caved in ?
    http://web.media.mit.edu/~bchow/photos/Ass...lloseum%203.jpg
    Like so , having one half being just sand and and the other being the 'fortifications' and some hallways to hide in.

Looks like an archer's dream camping spot. He'll have free reign over the people on the lower levels, and they'll have to walk through a long maze to get to them like sitting ducks. It does add another layer of depth, but it seems like too much of an advantage to be on that upper walkway.

*Pro Ninja Alliance*
    edited February 2007
    With spawn points all around, theres no real way to know where they are going to come from, making it less posible with each spot.

The caved in does look nice. As long as it doesn't stress you and it works fine, squadala!

As for the whole archer thing in the upper levels, I think the sniper pirate would take the spot, no contest.
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    I found a neat solution anyhow , going to show off some pictures soon wink.gif

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

I love you, Lebowski.
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    edited February 2007
    The pic doesn't show for me.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • Parrot of WarParrot of War Senior
    edited February 2007
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Feb 26 2007, 04:01 PM) »
    The pic doesn't show for me.

Same here, the pic doesn't work for me. It just shows this: icon_noimageaccident.gif

EDIT
    nvm it's better now. And it looks great so far.
    *Anti-Ninja Squad*
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    I was just in the process of uploading etc , patience tongue.gif

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

Looks awesome.

One suggestion, add npc crows, that would fit perfectly in an arena where people die all the time.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    QUOTE (YeeHaa @ Feb 26 2007, 10:59 PM) »

So far so good.
    Add the link to the first post too. smile.gif
  • JanrokJanrok Senior
    Looks really great!
    The sexiness nulls my previous opinion with the force of a herd of enraged buffalo.
  • TonttuTonttu Senior
    /me likes

Although I'd like to see somekind small platforms with ladders where people could climb on or something, but that would make it a kindergarten, not an arena. tongue.gif
  • MacbethMacbeth Members
    How about a couple trap doors (leads to spikes or lions) on the main fighting area with controls up in a balcony? Or just a couple pits that open on their own and require the person to climb out or get shot like a fish in a barrel.
    It was just a roadkill ghost. Nothing to worry about.

We all go to Valhalla someday, let me save you the wait.
    Why does everyone bring up lions? That would just make people want to be lions.
    screw lions, I say sharks with lazer beams attached to their heads.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    QUOTE (Eisiger Biskuit @ Feb 27 2007, 03:59 PM) »
    Why does everyone bring up lions? That would just make people want to be lions.

PVKLII

NPC controlled falcons that swoop down and insta-kill a player on occasion would be better.

*Pro Ninja Alliance*
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    I think id be sweet if you could add some kind of random animal trap to the arena. Like the roman calaceum had. A cage that came up from the floor and relesed a lion to kill the gladiators. After getting a lion model. Just make the lion a npc simular to the npc headcrab in hl2. Id spawn on a timer or when a player activates a rare trigger point. It force all teams to band together and kill the lion.
  • Squeebo2435Squeebo2435 Senior
    There already is a Arena map... Well... Colosseum map, custom one, looks pretty good.

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=3403&st=0
  • Number NineNumber Nine Senior
    Wasn't there a rule about no remakes of official maps or something? Anyways, from that screen shot I can tell that I'm gonna like that map. Honestly, I think you just release it as that. Its an arena map, it doesn't need any extra stuff.
This discussion has been closed.