Avast! Thar be news ahead! ( 16-10-06)

Frontpage news:

There hasn't been much updating in recent months to the public eye, but i can assure you the team is working hard to bring you this game. With three classes and most of the game mechanics coded in already, we're coming closer to our first public release everyday. Expectations of ours are to have the first release, fit with a few maps and game modes as well as 1 class for each team, out by the end of the year. We're very excited to be this close to a release, and hope the community is as well.

Now, what would a news post be without a little media. It's my pleasure to present one of our newer maps to you, made by our very talented member Skjalg. This is his map pvk_fort, which I know you'll enjoy as much as we do.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

PVKII Mapper
sigBGfor.jpg

Comments

• Number NineNumber Nine Senior
    edited 10:03PM
    Very nice, but not a single viking in 6 screenies? Whats up with that?(Don't tell me they were finally replaced by ninjas)
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    Maybe... Or they were reserved especially for the forum goons;

Knock yourself out smile.gif
    Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
    - Richard Feynman
  • NihiliusNihilius Senior
    Very nice media. Cannot wait for the mod at all. Plus, do you need a higher spec pc to run?, because i thought i saw parralax mapping there o_O.
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    Well, I'm currently running it fine (e.g. 40-50 fps) in 1024*768 with the following, everything at max detail:

Athlon XP 2800+ (a lower would probably do fine as well)
    Geforce 6600GT (YeeHaa (?) is running it on a 6200TC fine)
    1 gig of ram (Recommended, though I'd suspect it can run on 512 just fine)

Most slowdowns are due to the maps not yet being fully optimized as far as I can tell. Only a faster CPU helps there.
    - Richard Feynman
  • [STA]Wallace[STA]Wallace Senior
    well..its good to see an update..id like to know more about the gameplay if any of you on the team feel like telling us about it..if not its okay..i hear that there is a blocking system that makes the game hard ohmy.gif/..it cannot be so..and why does the heavy knight have a crossbow
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    It's not hard, it's more interesting wink.gif
    He's got a crossbow cause knights needed range, so we gave it to him until more classes are implemented.

badass.jpg

I'm with wallce, give us a description of the blocking system. I know the features section has a rough idea, but that hasn't been updated since 1962. We want to know what we can expect from the game, and like I said sevral times before, fancy screenshots aren't very good at describing the gameplaym which in my books is #1 for any succesful game.
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    Strategic Combat- Combat is based on an attack, block and parry system. Typically, attacking is accomplished by holding down primary fire and releasing when the player wishes. This enables the player to make slow, more powerful timed attacks, or flurries of quick attacks. Most attacks can be made in 4 directions, from the left, right, overhead and thrusting positions. Attack speed is determined too, by what weapon the player is wielding. Typically, secondary fire is reserved for blocking. You can block with a shield, or weapon if timed right. Also, if you happen to attack at just the right time that another person does, and their weapon isn’t too big to stop, then a parry is preformed where both people are broken from combat and scooted a little back from one another. After a second, they may resume combat with one another. Again, attack speed designates advantage because whoever can swing the fastest will strike first. This style of system makes swordplay and combat much more interesting and strategic for players.

Pretty much sums it up tongue.gif

badass.jpg

• SkjalgSkjalg Senior
    Also, if you hit someone that is blocking you get scooted a little back from the blocker, giving him time to get in quick stab.
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    Aye , it truly is a neat system smile.gif

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

so basically..you can just sit there blocking till someone hits you..and you wont ever die..cause from what i can tell you get stunned once you hit someone that is blocking..idk..maybe it would make more sense if i played the game..good job though..its looking good
  • EisigerEisiger Keg Whore Senior
    Well they aren't stunned that badly, and from what I can see, you take minimal damage, or if you're dodging a pirates bullet, you might as well suck the barrel of the gun.
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    You still take some damage while blocking, so you can die while doing it. Blocking is used to temporarily disarm your opponent, then getting a hit or two in. And this makes for some really tense and interesting fighting moments - almost like a fencing battle.
    - Richard Feynman
    We are talking blocking as with a shield right? what about the parry, whats that like, and also, why do you take damage blocking? the only thing that should go through shields is firearms.
    QUOTE (MahaTmA)
    You still take some damage while blocking, so you can die while doing it. Blocking is used to temporarily disarm your opponent, then getting a hit or two in. And this makes for some really tense and interesting fighting moments - almost like a fencing battle.

thats all i needed to know..thanks for clearing that up
  • GarreettGarreett Senior
    QUOTE (Yuralz#6)
    We are talking blocking as with a shield right? what about the parry, whats that like, and also, why do you take damage blocking? the only thing that should go through shields is firearms.

Your arm can get taken off if your blocking and a very heavy sword hits your arm in real life. 'Least I think so...
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    Blocking with a weapon is the same was with blocking with a shield, except with the shield you take only about 1/4th of the damage as when blocking with a weapon. And firearms do penetrate the shield more easily than swords.
    - Richard Feynman
  • Last JomsvikingLast Jomsviking Members
    If you guys are giving the HK a crossbow because "the knights need range" what about my poor rangeless Zerkerberry? smile.gif May haps he could have a throwing ax or two? just a thought for the first release.
    user posted image
    "Praise no day until evening, no wife until buried, no sword until tested, no maid until bedded, no ice until crossed, no ale until drunk."
    - Havamal
  • YeeHaaYeeHaa Senior
    You will find it's balanced enough wink.gif

PVKII Mapper
    sigBGfor.jpg

• SkjalgSkjalg Senior
    QUOTE (Last Jomsviking)
    If you guys are giving the HK a crossbow because "the knights need range" what about my poor rangeless Zerkerberry?  :)  May haps he could have a throwing ax or two? just a thought for the first release.

usually the poor rangeless zerkerberry has more frags than any other class...

<3 HK :/
  • Last JomsvikingLast Jomsviking Members
    Hopefully.... I've seen my fair share of Zerkers go down on their knees to crossbow bolts though. As long as it is still fun for all 3 classes.
    user posted image
    "Praise no day until evening, no wife until buried, no sword until tested, no maid until bedded, no ice until crossed, no ale until drunk."
    - Havamal
  • Stock3rStock3r Members
    Very nice. I was checking this mod before, nothing much has changed except those nice maps. Good work guys, keep going. Anyone here watch INSMOD?
    Well that was random...
  • Stock3rStock3r Members
    How does posting it 2 weeks after everyone make it random? This thread is here to be posted in. And I'm doing exactly that. Just wanted to give the devs my opinion of their update.
    Yeah, expet there is a section called "PVKII Discussion"...
  • Stock3rStock3r Members
    And there is a section called PKII Announcements, where people can relate and respond to a givin announcement. Now, please lay off.