te_lostglory

lokkdokklokkdokk Senior
edited May 2016 in Community Maps

Comments

• Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 6:33AM
    The idea sounds cool but i think you should only post here once you get more earlier into development to the point you can show pictures ingame of the Pirates base, Vikings Base, Knights base etc more information about the map itself.

Since honestly i have no idea what to even say about the map other than the idea is cool.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    As with all beginnings, you're dreaming too big. I'd recommend breaking your plan down into 3 sections, and then breaking those three into three again.

THEN start one one of the small sections and get it how you want gameplay wise. Forget the looks at this stage, then move onto the next section until you have a gameplay complete map.

Then test it, test it get feedback, make some changes and test it some more.

Once feedback is leaning more on the possitive side, do some more tweaks and then start to think about how your map will look.

IF you want to make something pretty, go for it, take one of those 9 sections and make it sexy as hell, at least this way you'll be able to make it look good in one area so it's easier to sell your idea/map to others
    Gaz wrote:

As with all beginnings, you're dreaming too big.

So damn true, i dreamed too big. So in the end i made my first map small and simple looking, got feedback but didn't use it since i felt like doing more as in make more different maps, then made more maps and more maps and more maps then have not uploaded any till i think it's 100% polished and ready to go!

I recommend aswell start with a small map before you start to advance into the big ones, as i said i started with small box maps or small castles then worked on making it look lovely, once it looked nice i had to test it out many times to see if the gameplay will fit good, spawns all good, sounds working and everythings working perfectly. but if you know what you're doing with the map i say go for it then post your progress here so we can give feedback and see how you can improve.
  • lokkdokklokkdokk Senior
    edited May 2016
    Gaz wrote:
    As with all beginnings, you're dreaming too big. I'd recommend breaking your plan down into 3 sections, and then breaking those three into three again. THEN start one one of the small sections and get it how you want gameplay wise. Forget the looks at this stage, then move onto the next section until you have a gameplay complete map. Then test it, test it get feedback, make some changes and test it some more. Once feedback is leaning more on the possitive side, do some more tweaks and then start to think about how your map will look. IF you want to make something pretty, go for it, take one of those 9 sections and make it sexy as hell, at least this way you'll be able to make it look good in one area so it's easier to sell your idea/map to others
    Combine™ wrote:
    So damn true, i dreamed too big. So in the end i made my first map small and simple looking, got feedback but didn't use it since i felt like doing more as in make more different maps, then made more maps and more maps and more maps then have not uploaded any till i think it's 100% polished and ready to go! I recommend aswell start with a small map before you start to advance into the big ones, as i said i started with small box maps or small castles then worked on making it look lovely, once it looked nice i had to test it out many times to see if the gameplay will fit good, spawns all good, sounds working and everythings working perfectly. but if you know what you're doing with the map i say go for it then post your progress here so we can give feedback and see how you can improve.

I release map at the PVKII 4.0 beta ) I could not make the bottom segments, so I decided to do it at the same time. everything else is not the ultimate goal. as it will be divided into the bottom part of the game and the part skybox.

Also, I still training with displacement. The first attempt to work with the displacement was to create a map te_highground. (remake original pvk_highgroung from PVK)
    vikings forest early wip segment

UJFV8d7.jpg
    Should add a pathway in the middle like Pinegrove is, with displacements on the ground instead of just a flat surface to give it a more strong forest feel to it. A waterfall or river nearby since they are common in forests and would fit nicely.
    Combine™ wrote:
    Should add a pathway in the middle like Pinegrove is, with displacements on the ground instead of just a flat surface to give it a more strong forest feel to it. A waterfall or river nearby since they are common in forests and would fit nicely.

it's ealy stage of development that forest. i need to create a more detail plan. Today I will go into the forest and see how everything looks.not necessarily that there will be a river or a mountain.
    today early forest wip screen (fully recreated.)
    8pu3bcA.jpg
    wip village

zTX8Efn.jpg
    Looks nice, but i feel it's to big? remember to keep in mind of the player distances aswell since making a player run to long to reach its target is bad stuff.

I recommend adding pathways, trees, wagons, training dummies, list goes on. Do all you can to fill up giant spaces like you have in the picture, maybe make some buildings accessable and add the picks up (ammo,health,armour) inside so it splits up gameplay abit, by that i mean doesn't require fighting always outside but both ways. Also a thunder storm now and then would be great, every 20-30s a lightning strike should come in, obviously just for background not hurting the players.

Change up the skybox aswell, i recommend testing it, so change up the theme to it, dark/night i feel this map would be pretty cool in if done properly that is.

As for the Forest, add some displacements, rocks, pathways, bugs, a camp somewhere, broken trees in some areas, tree stumps anything.

Map looks good so far, use my feedback and keep at it!
    edited May 2016
    Combine™ wrote:

Looks nice, but i feel it's to big? remember to keep in mind of the player distances aswell since making a player run to long to reach its target is bad stuff.

I recommend adding pathways, trees, wagons, training dummies, list goes on. Do all you can to fill up giant spaces like you have in the picture, maybe make some buildings accessable and add the picks up (ammo,health,armour) inside so it splits up gameplay abit, by that i mean doesn't require fighting always outside but both ways. Also a thunder storm now and then would be great, every 20-30s a lightning strike should come in, obviously just for background not hurting the players.

Change up the skybox aswell, i recommend testing it, so change up the theme to it, dark/night i feel this map would be pretty cool in if done properly that is.

As for the Forest, add some displacements, rocks, pathways, bugs, a camp somewhere, broken trees in some areas, tree stumps anything.

Map looks good so far, use my feedback and keep at it!

Ty for suggestions and screenshots feedback.
    Yes, I will try to implement the lightning strikes, of course I will try to do the maximum fill the map and try to avoid empty spaces.

However, the plan to implement the map without 3d skybox.

but it's planned. map is still very far from completion.
    lokkdokk wrote:

However, the plan to implement the map without 3d skybox

I know that it may not be planned to do a 3D skybox, but with the map you're doing i recommend a 3D skybox, since i know you can make the map 10x more lovely that way. Even though my map i did called "dm_farm" i planned it not to have a 3D skybox then once i tested the map looked great but it felt really boring and the background of the map wasn't really interesting as it just ends with the 2D skybox background, so i added 3D skybox plants and made it so the end of the box would be textured trees as i felt like it looks more better to have a background even if you're map is small,medium,large every map deserves a 3D skybox, not just to make the map prettier but also to improve your skills using a 3D skybox for future times.

For now though do not add a 3D skybox just yet, wait till your layout is done, texturing etc wait till everything is done then once you post screenshots of how the map looks in the future, we will give you feedback on how to do the 3D skybox as we and even you, will have a better idea of how it should look like once the map is finished.
    El Negro wait roads on town segment, hehe wait when i create ocean. but i'm so охуенноlazy. :ss:
    village segment wip (mat_fullbright 1) (30-60 fps without optimisation)

9to9j2V.jpg
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    This looks rather nice! I'll just say that you will probably have to make concessions towards the pvkii gameplay. This village is very open and ranged classes will have an easy time shooting the others. Plan ahead for some cover and you got some nice map going.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

edited May 2016

This looks rather nice! I'll just say that you will probably have to make concessions towards the pvkii gameplay. This village is very open and ranged classes will have an easy time shooting the others. Plan ahead for some cover and you got some nice map going.

Thank you.
    I will learn optimization, and try to squeeze out of it all there is.

By the way, the map is not for the Knights team.
    I recommend removing "mat_fullbright 1" the map looks very bright and also ugly this way. And ranged classes don't only apply to Knights, every team has a ranged class and it is recommended that cover is always needed for those classes so they don't overpower the map and have a way to take them out. Cover also applys to the Skirmishers keg aswell.

I also would prefer if you made all 3 teams avaliable rather than 2 unless you have a very valid reason, since just through pictures i feel this will be a big map and it'll feel sorta empty if it had only just 2 classes. If the town aswell is filled with dead knights then that would be the perfect spawn area for them. A say a very valid reason since a map such as "te_crazybridge" has only 2 sides to it and having pirates in the map would make pirates OP but also would tear up the map since it is 2 sides heading to the middle on a small bridge so it makes sense for the map not to have pirates. Point is whenever you have a big map like yours it is always good to include all 3 teams since having Knights defend the town while Pirates and Vikings attack it would be a great idea, if it is just Pirates and Vikings only heading into a big town with no Knights just feels not right.
    edited May 2016
    - The map has very bad FPS lag which makes it difficult to even explore most of the map

- The lighting is way to bright, the skybox is even so bright it hurts my eyes you need to definitely change that

- No pick ups at all

- The design is very very nice, i'm not really a fan of the re-made Pinegrove Knights church/buildings aswell since i always like to see new stuff, don't really consider copying Pinegrove as something new but it looks decent atleast

- The lighting definately needs more work as it makes alot of the buildings very bright which makes it look ugly

- I feel like The Vikings need a more creative/protective spawn rather than just spawning in the forest with trees, they need a base or even a campfire atleast, anything that protects them since you can walk into their spawn as a pirate and just spawn kill

- Map still doesn't have enough cover, i don't consider trees to be very good cover due to how small they cover you

- Both Vikings and Pirates need a spawn protection/base that makes it so players are unable to spawn kill

- 3D skybox doesn't line up properly

- You copy and pasted way to many trees which is probably why the map is very laggy

- You have alot of fish stuck under the map

To be honest the map feels very rushed and i really don't like to see that, you need to take your time when it comes to making a map since most of the problems i pointed out here can be easily fixed. I understand you want your maps to be in the game but you need to take your time to fix everything, make sure it's all perfect and polished. That's why you should start simple then move up big, once you're in the small zone you can pay attention to the layout of the map easier, then the player spawns, then the skybox etc depends on how you do it.

I felt like your map ports aswell were rushed aswell as pvk_grogboat had very very bad cubemap problems to the point the character models were entirely pink and also the footstep sounds were all concrete making it feel not so good. Even your pvk_highground map had bad FPS at times and felt like it wasn't ported properly aswell.

I'm not trying to pick on you at all keep in mind, i'm pointing out your mistakes cause i want you to learn from them. You need to take your time on your maps, you're not being forced to do it aswell it's your choice to do the maps and you can take as long as you want to do them, you also need to try play testing the map alot not just once but alot to make sure the experience you have in your map will be the same as what we will be receiving.

If you need help you got Youtube Tutorials and Valve Tutorials to help out or even the PVKII Community to help, so please keep this in mind.
    edited May 2016
    Combine™ wrote:
    - The map has very bad FPS lag which makes it difficult to even explore most of the map - The lighting is way to bright, the skybox is even so bright it hurts my eyes you need to definitely change that - No pick ups at all - The design is very very nice, i'm not really a fan of the re-made Pinegrove Knights church/buildings aswell since i always like to see new stuff, don't really consider copying Pinegrove as something new but it looks decent atleast - The lighting definately needs more work as it makes alot of the buildings very bright which makes it look ugly - I feel like The Vikings need a more creative/protective spawn rather than just spawning in the forest with trees, they need a base or even a campfire atleast, anything that protects them since you can walk into their spawn as a pirate and just spawn kill - Map still doesn't have enough cover, i don't consider trees to be very good cover due to how small they cover you - Both Vikings and Pirates need a spawn protection/base that makes it so players are unable to spawn kill - 3D skybox doesn't line up properly - You copy and pasted way to many trees which is probably why the map is very laggy - You have alot of fish stuck under the map To be honest the map feels very rushed and i really don't like to see that, you need to take your time when it comes to making a map since most of the problems i pointed out here can be easily fixed. I understand you want your maps to be in the game but you need to take your time to fix everything, make sure it's all perfect and polished. That's why you should start simple then move up big, once you're in the small zone you can pay attention to the layout of the map easier, then the player spawns, then the skybox etc depends on how you do it. I felt like your map ports aswell were rushed aswell as pvk_grogboat had very very bad cubemap problems to the point the character models were entirely pink and also the footstep sounds were all concrete making it feel not so good. Even your pvk_highground map had bad FPS at times and felt like it wasn't ported properly aswell. I'm not trying to pick on you at all keep in mind, i'm pointing out your mistakes cause i want you to learn from them. You need to take your time on your maps, you're not being forced to do it aswell it's your choice to do the maps and you can take as long as you want to do them, you also need to try play testing the map alot not just once but alot to make sure the experience you have in your map will be the same as what we will be receiving. If you need help you got Youtube Tutorials and Valve Tutorials to help out or even the PVKII Community to help, so please keep this in mind.

Thanks for the feedback, yes, I understand all these problems, but this is just the first beta version.
    I do not know how to fix the problem with fish, it is necessary to reduce the possible number of them.
    At Viking is sure to be its base.
    Thanks again for the feedback, expect the next version)
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    The building architecture looks pretty good with the columns and windows extruding from the roof. Nice touch with the smoke coming from the chimney.
    jRocket wrote:
    The building architecture looks pretty good with the columns and windows extruding from the roof. Nice touch with the smoke coming from the chimney.

it's pinegrove building assets from bt_pinegrove.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Again, you asked me for permission to use the PG assets and I said no, but feel free to use the models in your own way with custom brush work
    Gaz wrote:
    Again, you asked me for permission to use the PG assets and I said no, but feel free to use the models in your own way with custom brush work

okay, i'm delete beta 1 map. need re-release map without all your assets.