Intense framerate drop due to MAA special

KaffiKaffi Senior
edited 2:05AM in Bugs/Support
Hi folks! :icon_pirate2:

I'm not sure if this have been adressed before. If it has, I'm sorry for reposting.
I'm experiencing serious framerate drops when MAA uses his special. While being in the proximity (not necessarily affected by it) of the toxic gas, my FPS drops from a regular 60+, down to 10-20. As you might imagine, this can turn into a major nuicance.
This has been happening for a couple of months, so I don't think it's related to the latest patch.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what might be causing this FPS drop?
Is there a way to turn down the visual quality of the green gas, without turning down other settings?
I also seem to recall a visual effect involving flies while being "gassed". Was this effect removed or might I be missing some game files?

Comments

• FinlordFinlord Senior
    edited 2:05AM
    Sounds like unupdated graphics card thing.
  • Xxcrazy-monkeyxXXxcrazy-monkeyxX Beta Tester, Senior
    I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 950M and have the same problem.
    It isn't an unupdated graphics card situation. But the Frame drop for me isn't that bad and mostly lasts 1 sec.
    giphy.gif
  • KaffiKaffi Senior
    Ok, thanks for the answers.
    I might have to update my GPU drivers just to clarify whether the drivers are to blame or not.
    How about the flies? Are they still in-game, am I the only one missing those?

Merry Christmas by the way!
  • FinlordFinlord Senior
    Steam should download missing files when you go to pvkii -> properties -> local data -> verify cache
  • El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Guests
    It's a videocard issue if you got a GTX below x50, like a 650.

These cards are not potent, they can run a game fine but they still got some huge quirkiness. One of them is the particles, they are not too good with them, makes your videocard get a huge FPS drop.

And that is especially so when there's a lot of these particles and when they're not optimized.

I'm very sure the devs did try their best to optimize the "fart particles", but that is actually a very hard job to do as well and it isn't always efficient. I'd blame it more on the Source engine for using a very old API (Goddamn DX9 and it's 2016, come on already!) than the devs, although your videocard also got something to blame about, unless it is higher than x50, then yes, now we got a bigger problem.

Haven't really tested the fart particles much, maybe the guy who did it DID actually go overheard ;)
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

• AstragorAstragor Senior
    Yeah what El Negro said above. I was just about to type the same thing, but he already did. I wouldn't say it's the optimization issue, but more like the # of cuda cores of the 950M, 640.
  • SoloableSoloable Senior
    edited April 2016
    El Negro wrote:

It's a videocard issue if you got a GTX below x50, like a 650.

These cards are not potent, they can run a game fine but they still got some huge quirkiness. One of them is the particles, they are not too good with them, makes your videocard get a huge FPS drop.

And that is especially so when there's a lot of these particles and when they're not optimized.

I'm very sure the devs did try their best to optimize the "fart particles", but that is actually a very hard job to do as well and it isn't always efficient. I'd blame it more on the Source engine for using a very old API (Goddamn DX9 and it's 2016, come on already!) than the devs, although your videocard also got something to blame about, unless it is higher than x50, then yes, now we got a bigger problem.

Haven't really tested the fart particles much, maybe the guy who did it DID actually go overheard ;)

Nope, it's not. Got a GTX 660 here and I go down to 5-10 fps every time they special. Graphics card drivers are fully up to date for the dark souls 3 release. It's unplayable for me everytime they special.

Think I just necro'd an old thread :captain: