Corvalho's Dev Journal

CorvalhoCorvalho PVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited April 27 in Dev Journal
EPOdBQqpng

Hi there! I'm Corvalho and I'm one of the new character artists here.
I was instructed to create a Journal here, so... yeah, here's some of what I've been doing:

Bondi

I'm currently working on Bondi, the archer, farmer, viking & celebrity.
Here goes some pics of the progress in chronological order, make sure to check the current 3D preview on sketchfab.

bondi-face-conceptjpg
Face Concept & first face study

bondi-progress-2jpg
Bondi high poly body/assets

> 3D Preview of Bondi on Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/DKZA icon_viking2/>

screenshot002_5jpg
Low poly w/ baked normals

Concept Art
I've also been sketching some of the new classes, you're more than welcome to discuss ideas and such.

conceptsjpg

I'll try and keep this thread updated with the progress, check it back every now and then.

Comments

• Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 4:13AM
    Looks fantastic! even though it's a work in progress so far it looks wonderful, keep it up!
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    If there was ever a way to win a thread with the first post, you've done it Corvalho! Yes to everything about OP!

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    :emot-awesome: :emot-awesome: :emot-awesome:
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    Man, the Bondi is just oozing sex. Love it!
  • VogelenzangVogelenzang Senior
    Wow, progress is going really fast; Bondi's looking good as well. Keep it up.
  • AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    I like the 'Ealer's concept art, so Monkey Island-ish.

76561198031989549.png

• Ukyo KuonjiUkyo Kuonji Captain Main Senior
    Wow, Bondi looks amazing :icon_viking2:
    He definitely looks like the most detailed character imo, can't wait to see how he'll be in game.

Both the male witchdoctor and wench healer for Pie Rats looks great, as does the Buccaneer.
    76561198022443233.png
    Gallery of Rage
    OnqKl5B.jpg
    8ICrnFR.png :wub:
    rYEKvgb.jpg
    He1WpjQ.png <- lts_skypirates fun
    d1vRvor.png
    TudA52z.png
    8ABWxKM.jpg
  • JollygreenJollygreen Troll Senior
    Are we getting steady updates in this mod now?

gun b gud
    tumblr_mjzn9l8cQ31r6ph6uo1_500.gif
    1pYiF.gif
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    The Witchdoctor and Buccaneer, to me, appear to have very similar heads.

I have noticed the Bondi's pendant, and fully appreciate it.
    8gQi4T5.png
    I would think we should combine those ealer concepts and we could players could customize their character to be either default (witch doctor) or more wench-like.

xq0LCrG.png

Personally I always thought that a wench 'Ealer would be more fitting for the pie rats, a adding a male witch doctor and a presumeably Caribbean Buccaneer would be too similar imo.
    76561198022443233.png
    Gallery of Rage
    OnqKl5B.jpg
    rYEKvgb.jpg
    d1vRvor.png
    TudA52z.png
    8ABWxKM.jpg
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    If the witchdoctor were female, I'd be more into it, but like Ukyo said, a Wench is a little more fitting.
    I can imagine her flirting and blowing kisses to her shipmates to keep them focused and healed while also being able to hold her own.

I think the Buccaneer would look better as a giant, hairless, "Vodou zombie", a stoic, entranced man covered in ritualistic tattoos.
    I think you could merge the witchdoctor-esque vibes with him then, give him a kind of spiritual facet to his personality, "Spirits take you." and all that.

Also, I forgot to say good work regardless, the Bondi is hella-good and the art is phenomenal despite my disagreements.
  • CorvalhoCorvalho PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Yeah the witchdoctor guy was instantly scraped once we agreed the 'ealer should be a woman, The buccaneer then was designed with some of his traces, and following what came to my mind once I heard a bit of his voice acting, that (not sure if I should be saying, but...) has a strong jamaican accent.
    Ya mon! Ya blud a make tha grass grow greenah!

xq0LCrG.png

edited April 2015
    Boy, if the dev team hires Greg Eagles (a.k.a The Grim Reaper) to voice the Buccaneer, this will become the only mod that I'd care for the rest of my life.
    Also: 500th post.

76561198031989549.png

• Chedda CheezChedda Cheez Senior
    edited April 2015
    Absolutely love the progress on the Bondi. I've always been pretty interested in... well, general game development and seeing the steps involved. But anyway, given how long it took previous classes to come about, it's exciting to see so much promising content in such a relatively short amount of time. On another note, I really like his hat.

Unrelated personal issue spoiler~
    However, I'm concerned in the fact that I can't see any other picture than the sketchfab 4-point view of the bondi. The others pictures are showing as "Posted Image", so I can't really view what I'm understanding from reply context as awesome 'ealer and buccaneer concept content.
    Welcome to Cheez's PVKII Funtime Class!
    Rule #1: Have fun. [incredulous gasping ripples throughout the room]

That concludes Funtime Class! We didn't have the funding for a lengthy seminar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Stop by again for our next lesson: "Heavy Knight's Heaving Heart: How to Write Poetry for Swords!"

76561197993232256.png
  • SphynxSphynx Senior
    edited April 2015
    I hope this is not over the top, but it is:

mEtxJiK.png
    Some more studies on the Buccaneer's look. :icon_pirate2:

Not quite sure on which direction I should take him, more ideas are always welcome.

buccaneer_variant.jpg
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    I'm getting the same "Posted Image" error Skweez mentioned and it makes me sad.
  • edited 4:13AM

I'm getting the same "Posted Image" error Skweez mentioned and it makes me sad.

This direct link seems to work for everyone: http://s28.postimg.o...eer_variant.jpg
  • &#585;&#9678;&#8469;&#585;&#9678;&#8469; Beta Tester
    I like the new one better.
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    Thanks for the link, it works! Very much appreciated.
    I think this is a huge step in the right direction, the absence of dreads and the addition of the tattoos makes him much more intimidating in my opinion.
    And while I prefer the reduced amount of clothing and added tattoos, together they unbalance the concentration of detail.
    If you want to continue down the Vodou witchdoctor/Haitian zombie route, what about giving him grotesque piercings and jewelry/trinkets made from bones and such? Or even some shrunken heads.
    Some white might break him up nicely, I think, maybe even a skull face paint design to make his face pop a little more.

And this is just a little personal gripe, but I think he would be even scarier if he weren't very emotive.
    Someone running at me in a rage is frightening, for sure, but a giant hulk of a man calmly smashing me to pieces is even worse.

I like the ball and chain a lot more than the cleaver as well.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry about the picture btw, that host has given me trouble before, I'll remember not to use it the next time. Here is the full pic, hopefuly it'll show up for everyone:

buccaneer_variant.jpg
    If any Knight class will ever get a flail and if the Buccaneer gets the ball and chain in the final model, there's going to be a lot of flailing fights on every server. The meat carver also looks cool.

76561198031989549.png

Fantastic! Man, both look great - we could do both with customization! I'm leaning towards the one on the right :)

xq0LCrG.png

• SphynxSphynx Senior
    edited April 2015
    It's important that the current artists also have a look at the already implemented classes and the old concepts. The pirate team's classes, for example, all seem rather short. I'm not too sure how a tall and muscular person would fit into that team. I'm not questioning the quality of what has been presented to us so far, but I fear what could once be called a mix of history, myths and legends as well as elements of popular culture is now starting to rely mostly on the latter. This is not necessarily a problem so long as we are able to maintain a certain consistency in a team's appearance.
    mEtxJiK.png
    Personally I prefer the first version. I think dreads would look nicer than a chevron buzzcut. Since imo PVK is more about cliches, the Jamaican buccaneer would be better than some tribal warrior.
    76561198022443233.png
    Gallery of Rage
    OnqKl5B.jpg
    rYEKvgb.jpg
    d1vRvor.png
    TudA52z.png
    8ABWxKM.jpg
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited April 2015
    As a wise Gestir once said to a young Berserker as they encountered a grassy green field:

"Ah, it needs more red, foolish child."

Some kind of striking facial tattoo may be necessary. That, or some hair and maybe a hat.

Other than that, I have nothing more to comment on. Keep up the g-

Is that a piece of chain shot?!
    8gQi4T5.png
    Started working on the textures for Bondi, I'll post more screenshots soon, for now I only got progress on the face .

Huscarl has been helping him look more like a true viking btw:

ss_2015-04-12_at_041127_.jpg

- "Show me your war face son"
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    dat trapezius muscle.

i'm in love - fantastic progress corvalho