Map-themed pages

AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has ResurrectedPVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited April 2015 in Official Wiki
This is something that it should've been done long time ago. We have a page about official maps, then another with unreleased official maps, and another with community-made maps, however there is no page dedicated to a specific map, considering how much content can be added to it. I decided to start with these map-themed pages by making one dedicated to the one and only Island.
Infoboxes are something that I'd like to see being implemented on these pages, although CrazyTalk already told me that the code to build infoboxes is present in the wiki's server, so that we can get a cleaner pages dedicated to both maps and classes.
I've been thinking of separating the page onto three main topics and an additional two:
-Overview: for a basic description of the map's gameplay and changes related to the game mode, as well the level´s layout;
-Presentation: a topic dedicated to the environmental work, as well important landmarks of the map (see Island's example);
-History: a topic that talks about the map's evolution, both throughout the map's lifetime and the development stages; the unreleased official maps page gives some hints to then unreleased maps that can be added to a specific page, like Tortuga or Pinegrove;
-Trivia: sharing facts about the level;
-Gallery: showing various pictures from the map.

Having early versions of a certain map or even installation files of pre-Steam version (I have the Beta 1.0 and Beta 2.2 .exe files saved in my external drive) is really helpful to work on these pages so that enough information can make it more complete.
I have a document with potential content for more map-themed pages that I might add in the following days, and in the meantime you folks can edit anything in Island if there's something out of place or even improve the gallery section, because there's a lot of blank space there.

76561198031989549.png

Comments

• Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 10:32PM
    Y'all should make some more of those. I'll see if I can make some map strategy pages to match the class strategy pages.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    A new map got it's own page: Forgotten.
    Also, somewhat unrelated, but I'd like to know if this wiki has the video embedding option available. I tried to post a YouTube video as a test by looking at MediaWiki's page about the subject and it didn't work.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Excellent work sir :)
    Arena and Cathedral added.

76561198031989549.png

A couple of weeks later and I added Frostbite and Sandstorm. I also made Temple a while back but I forgot to share it with you.
    Also worth to mention is the inclusion of Categories. Like in every wiki, with the creation of new map-themed pages it's worth selecting them by categories and also to make them even more presentable.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited May 2015
    Since you're posting trivia about Cathedral and Frostbite, you might be interested to know that Cathedral originally was just another room in Frostbite. It was located beyond the big (now sealed) gate, behind the throne room. Because Frostbite was already a big map in and of itself, it was decided to take that room out of the map and make it independent. That's the reason why the two maps are so visually similar.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Town and Gravedanger are now included in the wiki, making all four official LTS maps available in it, as well the very first custom map with it's own page.

76561198031989549.png

• SphynxSphynx Senior
    AGSMA wrote:

• The piano inside the bar can be interacted by players by pressing E in front of it. A rendition of the PVKII theme is played;

Wow, I never knew this one. I guess there are still a few secrets that are waiting to be uncovered then.
    mEtxJiK.png
    After a bit of procrastination, Tortuga is up.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    edited July 2015
    While I'm not working at a page in particular I find the opportunity to add image galleries to pages or simply updating existing ones by using some code borrowed from MediaWiki's page. Here's how less cumbersome it looks and how much space it saves. I'm planning to make a gallery for all classes' pages as well.

Before adding the code.
    qML4Usx.jpg

After adding the code.
    7VTspaw.jpg

I know next to nothing about coding for webpages, but I'm glad that places like MediaWiki help the less experienced onto improving content.
    And while we're still talking about this subject, it's worth mentioning that older screenshots or other image-related media should be uploaded onto the wiki for perservation purposes, specially when I'm working on pages dedicated to the mod's updates.

76561198031989549.png

After a bit of thinking, I decided to add two custom maps with their own pages: Sky Pirates and Boarded, both by LordTrilobite. Since Gravedanger was originally a community-made map, I should take full advantage of the categories feature and make the wiki a bit more complete. Obviously I don't want to add all custom maps; only the ones that are significant and/or regularly played by the community.

76561198031989549.png

• Asuka★ShooterAsuka★Shooter Beta Tester, Senior
    edited September 2015
    Sky pirates
    but it's also placed on the raven's back, hence why it never falls apart when Sudden Death mode arrives.

Should rephrase that to something in line with "does not fall into the ocean", it does have a chance to break apart during sudden death but it doesn't fall. That usage of words in the wiki would confuse someone.
    edited September 2015

Sky pirates
    [/size][/font][/color]

Should rephrase that to something in line with "does not fall into the ocean", it does have a chance to break apart during sudden death but it doesn't fall. That usage of words in the wiki would confuse someone.

Oh. My bad. I haven't played the mod for a solid six months, and sometimes I give the wrong information while creating a page on the wiki.

76561198031989549.png

edited January 2016
    After a big break from editing stuff on the Wiki, Desertruin and Townsquare were added. I asked permission to Latteh to use a screenshot of the upcoming new version of Desertruin and he was totally fine with it.
    Now, the remaining official maps to get their own pages are Pinegrove, Fort and, to an extent, Saints.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    edited February 2016
    Thank you VERY much for doing this. I really appreciate it!!!

Detailed and accurate info too!

Perhaps (if you have time/want to) add some additional screenshots from here: http://gazoid.com/pvkii.php
    edited April 2016
    Gaz wrote:

Thank you VERY much for doing this. I really appreciate it!!!

Detailed and accurate info too!

Perhaps (if you have time/want to) add some additional screenshots from here: http://gazoid.com/pvkii.php

Nice! I was going to ask you about using some of your website's WIP screenshots, specially the pine trees one. And glad you liked my page. Now that almost every official map its own page on the wiki stablished, it's time to give them a wealthy gallery. So far Island, Town, Tortuga and Pinegrove have their own galleries, while most of the maps have screenshots and misc. pictures placed throughout the pages. I'm already starting to work on galleries for the classes, such as Skirmisher's. Kern gave me a folder filled with pics, which I have yet to to explore it.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Take any screenshots from my portfolio you wish (inc Island) :-) Once again, thank you for putting the time into this, excellent work! :)
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Fantastic work on the wiki!

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

And at last, Fort is here, completing one full year of pages dedicated to official maps.
    And now, off to work on pages for each update, something that I've been working on for a while but stopped while building the Beta 2.3 page, as well pages for game modes, and community-made maps, more specifically the ones from the Map Packs. As for good'ol Saints, I'll probably make its own page right on time for the release of the PVK Classic maps.

76561198031989549.png

With the new version of Fort I updated its page, as well adding a Team Deathmatch category. Nothing fancy, just to point it out.

76561198031989549.png

edited December 2016
    A couple of months later, came back to the wiki, only to add the category Unreleased Official Maps, as well pages for Snowstuff and Glacier.
    I've been considering making these for a while. Even though I could add info about Snowstuff in Frostbite's page, it still qualifies as a map of its own, mainly because of its original layout and graphics. As for Glacier, once the map is released, I'll move it to Official Maps.
    When it comes to unreleased maps that aren't mentioned in the wiki, is it safe to create pages for, let's say, El Dorado? The map was already shown in a PVKLive stream in the past, albeit unfinished, and for history purposes it would be nice to mention it alongside other maps such as Clouds and Crossroads. After all, this is an online encyclopedia.
    In the meantime I'm still working on the Community Classic Maps, though motivation to finish Saints is still quite low.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    I'd say go for it, your work is really great and I enjoy reading it :-D
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Jahhur can help you with some background info if you talk to him on steam :)

Some of our elder testers turned devs like lhorkan or sauna would be able to help with Saints. I wasn't around when yeehaa and jahhur worked on it.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

edited December 2016
    Somewhat unrelated, but lately I've been reworking the class pages by giving them actual information boxes for weapons, stats and the like. Here's what I've done so far.

Gestir, Huscarl, Berserker, Skirmisher, Captianand Sharpshooter. The Knights will be updated very soon. I'm also going to add new hex colors because the ones in the main page for each team are hideous. I'm going to use the same type of information boxes for the maps and, if I'm able to do them, template boxes, where I can make easier access to other pages under the same category.

76561198031989549.png

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Hot damn! These are great! Look really slick dude :D
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    in Unreleased Official Maps - te_forum, bt_eldorado, its_bellyhazard, bt_sacrilege i'm not sure if these maps were Official or not but due to being shown in the PVKII livestreams back in 2013- 2014 i believe they deserve to be mentioned somewhere as they were shown but never ended up getting finished.

Also for the Trivia for each of the characters, you should ask the VAs how they came up with the voices who did they imitate etc to add that in also you can add in the original VAs aswell. The Sharpshooters pistol in "Sharpshooter preview" is very different to the final release in both model and gun sound, The Skirmisher use to cock his pistol back which was removed and replaced with an off screen version, Heavy Knight use to have a crossbow, etc all those small details for the Trivia.