Knight Lord Development

Comments

• Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 12:51AM
    Why does The Lord, keep reminding me of the lead singer of Jaldaboath lol
  • James DavisJames Davis PVKII Team
    edited April 2015
    lol, unfamiliar with Jaldaboath, but happy he looks like someone... still planning to change the crown... just till I get to replacing it, better to have something than nothing. I do plan on changing it though
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    Oh he is looking amazing. This guy is going to be really badass, I can't wait!
    edited April 2015
    He's getting there. Next thing are going to be boots, elbow guards, crown. Then will hit accessories (straps, drum). Then finally weapon, shield, etc. 2 maybe 3 more model posts before I get started on retopologizing and texturing
  • SphynxSphynx Senior
    Will his underarm protection be made of riveted leather or steel? It should probably be in line with the material that his shoulder plates and other armor pieces are made of. I also feel like the top shoulder plate could be a bit bigger in order to help with deflecting swings that target his head region, but I'm not sure whether you are striving for a lighter or heavier armor.

I have no problem with the current crown, but I'm excited to see what the new one will look like.
    mEtxJiK.png
    edited April 2015
    Hey Sphnx,

It's a balancing act with the pvk concept and my concept I have in mind, so I usually test out multiple variations and see which I like best. Like with the Assassin, made small changes there, but tons of negatives because I did my own thing on some places. It's a fine line to walk but I think I have a good idea in mind. As for underarm protection, it's just chainmail like the concept, makes sense for flexibility since nobility is usually on horse back, needs good flexibility for slashing charges and also relatively lighter than lets say full armored knight so he can make a hasty retreat. As for the crown, was given a critique from Colonel that it looked too kingly. Which I agree. I originally based him loosely off of Longshanks from Braveheart, mainly his head, and he was a king. I agree with Colonel, this character is a lord only and needs a humbler headpiece. I left out the undercloth under his head chainmail because I found it slightly pattern redundant. The physique is slightly less broad shouldered than the concept because I felt taking his age into account, shoulders droop more as you get older, but he still is stout, broad, and demonstrates gravitas. I'm going more Leader, wise, battle hardened experience in his appearance but not necessarily brutish, will see how that personifies itself as I work on him more
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    looking nice
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • SphynxSphynx Senior
    edited April 2015
    The physique is slightly less broad shouldered than the concept because I felt taking his age into account, shoulders droop more as you get older, but he still is stout, broad, and demonstrates gravitas. I'm going more Leader, wise, battle hardened experience in his appearance but not necessarily brutish, will see how that personifies itself as I work on him more

I like that. We already have the Heavy Knight in a 'tank' role, so it would be rather boring to have a class that works like a slightly modifyed version of him. It might also be an interesting thing to let your thoughts on the Lord's background have an influence on his equipment and fighting style. I hope the war drum and flail are not 'written in stone' – unless you think this is what fits your Lord. :icon_viking2:
    mEtxJiK.png
    edited April 2015
    I think they are just looking for variety. My idea on the drum was and I maybe wrong, he pounds on it and he ups his attack is what they are going for. Had the idea he pounded on his shield instead. Which I feel visually it gives more gravity and stature to the character, I would talk it over with colonel first though on something fundamentally game design changing and believe a character already does that. As for the flail, I believed it was alright, they wish to add variety in the weapons. I was thinking handaxe, poleaxe, or mace instead of the hammer mace he has on the concept and maybe a morning star of that sort for the flail. But that normal flail design does have a conservative appeal. We'll see :)
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    I've always been concerned with the idea of supportive instruments for the Captain/Lord/Jarl. If they are added, then the Captain is going to have four weapons unless the concertina and parrot are somehow mixed together, even then it sounds like it'll over-complicate that particular weapon. Then, it'll probably be best to give the Lord and Jarl parrot-equivalent abilities. Regardless, giving each of the Lord-style classes instruments that buff nearby allies has the same cut and dry problem the original healing ideas had, they're pretty boring and non-distinct between each team.

However, your suggestion of making the Lord bang his shield, which *does* add gravity and stature to the action, sounds like it could be a special. If his supportive aura ability was a special, it could either be balanced so it's more powerful, or balanced so he gains it more frequently than your typical special. Which sounds like a rather interesting take. If that's the case, he can be given a different third weapon that fills the same role as the Captain's parrot but in a knightly way.

I think some kind of supportive aura fits the Knight team more than the other two, in any case.
    Should we have the drum? Always had the idea he bangs on his shield instead

11159936_938691172848209_2790806144756465812_o.jpg
    11090913_938691169514876_4791674067947551936_o.jpg
  • ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    Looking good.
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    If I heard what sounded like a Berserker wailing on my teammate's shield, I wouldn't know whether to run away, charge into battle, or offer support. (I'd probably offer support. Distracted Berserkers are not likely to survive.)

If he only struck his shield once, I'd be underwhelmed.

A drum, however, could carry an inspiring tune.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Banging a drum is not a very lordly (?) activity. Banging on the Shield sounds more reasonable, and less complicated.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• NiveNive Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    Links, there'd likely be a loud quote he'd say along with the banging so you'd know what's up. Plus, the banging sound effect itself is probably going to be distinct from actual blocking, since he's not trying to break his own shield. I still vote for shield banging.

And holy hell, he looks absolutely amazing!
  • TrarTrar Senior
    The drum would make a more distinctive instrument and sound than the shield.

Lord's coming along great overall though. I await my chance to play as a bona-fide King Harkinian.
    THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY ODIN'S PIZZA PLACE

http://steamcommunity.com/id/trar/
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    How does he bloody well do that?

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

edited April 2015
    Colonel wrote:

How does he bloody well do that?

Do what?

Oh btw, still planning to change the headpiece :) that will be my final modeling pass, along with the weapons
  • HaxxHaxx Senior
    I would have liked it if you actually went with a trumpet or something like that. It would fit the Lord well since it make's me look and sound 10x more bad-ass.

Save the Shield Bash for the Viking Jarl, now that would fit him perfectly!
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    InstantHax wrote:

I would have liked it if you actually went with a trumpet or something like that. It would fit the Lord well since it make's me look and sound 10x more bad-ass.

Save the Shield Bash for the Viking Jarl, now that would fit him perfectly!

Delusions of grandeur?

I still think slamming one's sword against one's shield is more fitting for an intimidating taunt than for a rousing tune.

I suppose the Lord could have some sort of shield/drum hybrid that just so happens to produce a pleasant tone when struck despite being a metal shield, but even then I think he'd need that mallet.

Also, I've just noticed. Is the lion on the shield supposed to have such a vaguely defined mouth?
    8gQi4T5.png
    Or he carries a his squire/little drummer boy on his shoulders like Kenpachi does lol

Zaraki-Kenpachi-image-zaraki-kenpachi-36523028-1023-768.jpg
    Sorry for the silence last couple of days, was working on my other project. Today I finished the weapons, will finish headpiece soon, first thing tomorrow will post, just bit too exhausted from work today to finish.
  • TrarTrar Senior
    edited April 2015
    Very cool.

If I were designing this class, I'd throw in some references to King Harkinian from those legendarily hilariously bad Zelda CD-i games, but that's just me. Maybe a voice line or two about DINNER or the being Under Attack by the Evil Forces of [insert Scandinavia or Piracy here] and/or a similar voice actor would do, if any devs are similarly amused by the memes.

A question about his attacks, though: If the Lord wields the flail with one hand and uses the shield with the other one, how will he grasp the flail with two hands for his special?
    THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY ODIN'S PIZZA PLACE

http://steamcommunity.com/id/trar/
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    His flail is a two handed flail. The shield goes with the war hammer or whatever else he might have.
    And I don't know about the references, I feel like those are way too low hanging fruit.
    edited April 2015
    Made weapons, switched out headpiece. Remade headpiece, he's a lord, not a king so made it look more knightly opposed to regal but still give a noble class feeling. Taking a day to work on my other project but will return to this to retopologize and start texturing. Planning to set up working on the Lord and pvk projects on odd days, personal projects like the demon girl on my even days to keep me fresh and give my eyes a breather working on a single particular project. :P work on the same thing day after day and quality and enthusiasm will start to lag

11169683_942444049139588_6468913418289546142_o.jpg
  • ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    Its....beautiful.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Wow.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited April 2015
    Trar wrote:

If I were designing this class, I'd throw in some references to King Harkinian from those legendarily hilariously bad Zelda CD-i games, but that's just me. Maybe a voice line or two about DINNER or the being Under Attack by the Evil Forces of [insert Scandinavia or Piracy here] and/or a similar voice actor would do, if any devs are similarly amused by the memes.

As a longtime YouTube Pooper, I approve this idea. I'm not sure about the rest of my friends at YouChew, though.
    I could see a reference to the quote "Mah boi! This peace is what all true warriors strive four!" as an encouragement line, or a "You saved me!" as a thanks one. Hell, even mimicking his laugh would be a nice reference as well.
    I don't know, I've always loved the character alongside some others from the CD-i cutscenes, so seeing him being referenced in an unrelated project would be quite a result.

76561198031989549.png

• Xxcrazy-monkeyxXXxcrazy-monkeyxX Beta Tester, Senior
    I mean is the the inspiring tone/sound gonne be his special then for the shield or is he gonne get the drums and his special woud be something els?
    Idk but it woud be his special then for the shield, he is blocing attacking and using the tone/sound banging as his special, that would work then.
    giphy.gif
  • JollygreenJollygreen Troll Senior
    looking forward to this
    0JNXn.gif
    1pYiF.gif