tw_Domus: coming soon to a theater near you

AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has ResurrectedPVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited February 2015 in Community Maps
UPDATE: information about the first public testing can be viewed here.

OLD POST
The map is still in development and it's first release won't be ready before New Year at best.
So what is tw_Domus? It's a Trinket Wars map, for sure, but it's a special one. You see, I have a beautiful vacation home located at the northen side of my country; you can see some pics of it by clicking on this link.

An idea of making a map loosely based in my vacation home has been in my mind since around march or april, by the time I decided to go back to PVKII, and why not? It has a purdy look work to try build it in a three dimensional landscape, solely for the purpose of gaming; why Trinket Wars? Because there are plenty of passageways and paths to follow.

So far I can only show two screenshots of a really early version of the level, where i try out it's lightning. I'm starting out with the interior of the house because it's far easier to form the layout than a regular landscape.
dLjbba2.jpg
l3w5oYm.jpg

=Original Post=
Update: The newest issue towards mapping on the most recent post.

I went on to try out the 2013 version of Hammer after installing the mod's files onto it. So far I could make the brushes and everything, but then there's a problem: whenever I want to insert a pvk_themed entity, like info_pvk or team_classname, Hammer simply crashes. I could also place a HL2 entity and change it's type but the change to a pvk entity cannot be applied.
Did I missed out something while installing the mod's directory onto hammer?

Edit: the problem is solved. I just placed .fgd files that weren't needed. However for the sake of not creating another thread for a specific custom map or any issue at compiling, please don't lock this thread yet.

76561198031989549.png

Comments

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited 6:35AM
    A month later and I discovered a new issue, this time based on compiling.
    Whenever I click to run the map, the mod starts loading but a microsecond later it crashes and I get the message "could not load library client". With a look at the compile log it turns out that Windows denies access to some of the build programs, occasionally all of them. Oddly enough my PC has no admin account, which makes that error suspicious.

** Executing...
    ** Command: " C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.vmf"

* Could not execute the command:
       " C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.vmf"
    * Windows gave the error message:
       "Acesso negado."

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 14 2014)
    2 threads
    reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\source sdk base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\source sdk base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: " C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters: -both -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus"

* Could not execute the command:
       " C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe" -both -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus"
    * Windows gave the error message:
       "Acesso negado."

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii\maps\tw_domus.bsp"

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\hl2.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\pvkii" -toconsole -dev -console +sv_lan 1 +map "tw_domus" -steam

I talked to Felis and Ubermann about this issue and they tried to hardest to solve it, but with no success. I validated Source 2013's cache a couple of times, checked the directories countless times, run Hammer as administrator, but nothing happens. If anyone knows what to do please reply to this thread.

76561198031989549.png

edited January 2015
    And once again, Felis saved my life. Apparently there's something which makes Hammer uncapable of compiling maps for PVK and there's no clue why, either because my computer has a file that blocks the way to make the map compiled or it simply hates Source Engine. Fortunately all it's problems were solved out with the help of vbct, or Valve Batch Compile Tool and, despite being a bit lenghty with compiling a map with only three block brushes, three entites and a skybox, it managed to create the bsp file and it's finally playable on PVK.
    Soon I'll bring previews and information about my map, which by it's filename found in the compile log on the post above, you might know one thing or two.

76561198031989549.png

The map is slowly developing with some windows and and some more lightning, sort of.
    TlL2vvH.jpg

76561198031989549.png

edited December 2014
    More updates, including, believe it or not, a swimming pool!
    bPCOTRA.jpg

Interestingly enough, most of the times I spawned I always went straight to the water rather than anywhere else.
    I also made some indoor illumination and, well, just look at it.
    eg9Qid9.gif

I honestly don't know what I did wrong in here.

What to do for the next update:

-Fix the lightning issues in the living room;
    -Fix a small leak at the staircase near the pool;
    -Move upwards the attic's ceiling a little bit upwards;
    -Adding some new props, as well moving some others;
    -Opening the door and window frames a little bit;
    -Adding new textures to see it's effect with no cubemaps;

76561198031989549.png

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited December 2014
    AGSMA wrote:

I also made some indoor illumination and, well, just look at it.

I honestly don't know what I did wrong in here.

You set the light to flicker in its Appearances property. You should know that dynamic lights like this are a big cause of lag in multiplayer PVKII. (unless that's been fixed in Source 2013 - I guess you'll find out)

Crazytalk wrote:

Dynamic lights will lag the crap out of multiplayer. If you do have flickering lights, that's most likely the fps issue.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    edited December 2014
    The only preset I find suitable for a candle-like lightning is Gentle Pulse. I'm not an expert when it comes to lightning, but is it possible to create a jittering effect, not like a really intense strobing light, but something that doesn't change the light intensity too much so that it emulates a candle

76561198031989549.png

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited December 2014
    You can create your own light appearance, see https://developer.va....com/wiki/Light
    EDIT: Can't read anymore, that link was posted already..
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    Looks interesting and cool, good to see more fresh new custom maps being made! keep it up!
    edited January 2015
    After a lot of trial and error, I finally built the base for the house's roof, well, sort of, I need to fix some leaks.
    Wi5axvz.jpg

And the pool has some tiles to match the caribbean waters.
    lInsSXZ.jpg

Other things to fix/add

-move the attic's entrance a little bit to west so that players don't get stuck in it;
    -building/improving clifs;
    -adding more trees and props;
    -illuminating the kitchen;
    -remove the extra room inside the house's entrance hall;
    -expanding the fields even further;

76561198031989549.png

The vertex tool in Hammer is notorious for not saving vertex positions correctly, often resulting in what you have in the above screen shot. For something as big as that roof it shouldn't be a problem though, just make sure you line everything up on the grid - that's a very good practice in general.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    edited January 2015
    So I got the unfortunate luck of creating the house way too large in comparison to the real building, and because of that the distance between the gates and the small stable was insanely big and unatural. Not only that, but also fixing that problem seems impossible right now, due to the amount of brushes that are already on the map; I decided to start a new version of Domus from scratch so that nothing like that happens again; fortunately with the amount of things that I've learned with the old version things might get a bit faster and soon enough an alpha build of the map will be ready to be tested out. My biggest question right now is how to make the house's entrance as compact as possible.

76561198031989549.png

You should always place some spawnpoints (info_player) for size reference when building something to get everything in the correct scale.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Lhorkan wrote:

You should always place some spawnpoints (info_player) for size reference when building something to get everything in the correct scale.

I do that, however my photographic references missed one small detail about a small entrance between the main gate and the garage which serves as a path, and because of that the geometry was out of it's place. Fortunately I fixed that with the new version of the map. All I have to do now is to complete the rest of the buildings and to short a bit the kitchen, the living and the dinning rooms.

76561198031989549.png

edited January 2015
    Me and Felis have tried out my latest build of the map in a private server and things are looking okay to say the least. Once again, reaching the attic is near impossible because of the low ceiling, and the windows need to be improved so that players can crouch-jump over them. We also tried a ragdoll physics plugin programmed by Felis and it was great fun.
    And since the map's borders are far from completion, most of the actual gameplay occured in the skybox. Nevertheless, if the game works well with two players, it should work with all three teams full of players. Soon enough we'll launch an alpa testing with it's basic geometry and lightning completed.

76561198031989549.png

Testing out the 3D skybox. So far it looks decent, but I need to disable the fog, it doesn't feel any subtile. Func_dustcloud brushes might do the trick.
    ljuUYcS.jpg
    Also, I tried out moving the light_environment and the env_sun entites to the 3D skybox and, while it's nice seeing this map not glowing like we're at the sun's core, it's still very stale. The reason of this it's because I'd like to have the sun entity being partially covered by the hills rather than having it in the middle of the sky like a generic sun. And by the looks of it, as beautiful Forgotten's skybox is the hint that shows the sun points near noon. Is there a sky texture where the sun is somewhere in a matinal position?

76561198031989549.png

edited January 2015
    AGSMA wrote:

Testing out the 3D skybox. So far it looks decent, but I need to disable the fog, it doesn't feel any subtile. Func_dustcloud brushes might do the trick.

You shouldn't put func_dustclouds in the 3D skybox. Instead, you have to change the fog color to the color of the bottom half of the 2D skybox texture - this way the 3D skybox geometry will gracefully fade into the 2D skybox. The sky_camera and the env_fog_controller need to have these same fog settings for it to look good.

Also, I tried out moving the light_environment and the env_sun entites to the 3D skybox and, while it's nice seeing this map not glowing like we're at the sun's core, it's still very stale. The reason of this it's because I'd like to have the sun entity being partially covered by the hills rather than having it in the middle of the sky like a generic sun. And by the looks of it, as beautiful Forgotten's skybox is the hint that shows the sun points near noon. Is there a sky texture where the sun is somewhere in a matinal position?

First of all, it doesn't matter where you place the env_sun - it's a point entity that applies to the entire map, it just stores properties about how and where to render the sun sprite. The same goes for the light_environment - it also stores properties for the entire map, any values in there are used in both the playable area and the 3D skybox, no matter where it's located. I personally don't like the env_sun in PVKII, because if you look at it dead on it will disappear entirely because the crosshair blocks it.

Here's a list of the Half Life 2 skybox textures, you might find one that suits your requirements in there, along with the correct light values.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    edited January 2015
    After over a week without updates, here's a little bit of new content, including stables to hide your zerks.
    t8Iy4bY.jpg

And also a couple of chimneys.
    PBt40Td.jpg

If you're smart enough you'll see that they have a purpose.

76561198031989549.png

• UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Lighting too dark, I can not see anything in the last screenshot.
    Maybe give the global light source a steeper angle?
    I'm still working on a better way to make a sunrise, that's why the pic looks too dark.

76561198031989549.png

• schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    If you want a sunrise feeling, choose a proper 2d sky texture, and adjust the light_environment accordingly.

Check this link out for recommended settings and available sky textures : https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Yesterday me and Felis went on to try out my latest build and things are shaping up quite well. The basic geometry is halfway done, I introduced some pickups, but the bloom caused by light_environment is still too much for the human eye to watch. Either way the map is becoming more playable and soon I'll get it ready for some public testing.

If you want a sunrise feeling, choose a proper 2d sky texture, and adjust the light_environment accordingly.

Check this link out for recommended settings and available sky textures : https://developer.va...m/wiki/Sky_List

Forgotten's sky texture isn't a definitive version, I just use it because of it's overall aspect. Possibly either militia or train are nicer candidates for what I'm trying to get, even though the sun pitch might not be ideal.

76561198031989549.png

AGSMA wrote:

the bloom caused by light_environment is still too much for the human eye to watch.

What are the values for Brightness, Ambient, BrightnessHDR, AmbientHDR, BrightnessScaleHDR and AmbientScaleHDR?
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Lhorkan wrote:

What are the values for Brightness, Ambient, BrightnessHDR, AmbientHDR, BrightnessScaleHDR and AmbientScaleHDR?

It's a fact that I always work with those attributes before I compile a new build of the map, though. How would my map look like an LSD trip with the light_environment set on default?
    Anyway, my map's basic geometry is almost complete and soon enough I'll send the first alpha build to Felis so that we can start some public testings.

76561198031989549.png

AGSMA wrote:

How would my map look like an LSD trip with the light_environment set on default?

If the light_environment is on default, it's something else that's causing the map to be overly bright. I can't say what that would be though, definitely not without seeing the vmf. Maybe one of the other mappers has an idea.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Alright, another update.
    Lightning in general is now a tad improved, but with an unless. Mountainrise seemed to be the perfect skybox texture to replace Forgotten's, however the whole map makes it look like it's flipped or something like that. In short, I got two suns.
    My sun,
    07ciwJb.jpg

Mountainrise's sun.
    867tN7z.jpg
    Even worse is that Mountainrise's sun makes a really weird bloom effect that, while it's neat in certain occasions, it makes me go back to the massive LSD effect that I had on my previous build. I wish I could make use of this texture, though, because it fits perfectly with the theme of the map.
    The sun's pitch and lightning is almost there, however finding an already existing skybox that fits the theme and doesn't make changing pitches and angles a pain in the ass might be difficult. The next sky I'll use will be sky_spockcirrus. It doesn't have any mountain ranges but who knows, it might be the better choice.

76561198031989549.png

edited January 2015
    And yet another update. This time I pretty much found the ideal skybox texture, freeze looks perfect for this map. Not only that, but the overall feel of the map so far, plus the small layer of fog that I added pretty much nailed the ambience that I wanted to get. All I need now is to get rid of that ugly yellow shade for the global light.
    gGvmzUB.jpg
    Y5K8ZYk.jpg

And I also worked with lightmaps. Some places look really nice, others don't. A bit of trial and error doesn't harm the map's progress.
    YQB6dsi.jpg
    39xQqxM.jpg

76561198031989549.png

The first alpha build is ready and already sent it to Felis so that he can host his own server for the map's first public build. It is scheduled to be played sometime this weekend.

76561198031989549.png

The first public testing is now scheduled

Saturday, Feb 7th at 10PM GMT, 5PM EST, 2PM PST.

Players can now download the map on the Gamebanana's page.

The test will take an hour on Felis' server; be sure to talk with him about server joining issues.
    During and after the test, players can send feedback about the level design and misc. stuff, as well recording demos or gameplay video that you can send me for a montage.
    Have fun tomorrow, everyone.

76561198031989549.png

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    Finally an opportunity to test my plugins.
    And yeah, in case something breaks in the server, yell at me.
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I really like the theme of the map! so far i notice my weapon has alot of black and purple lighting,some areas are abit to dark maybe just light those areas up, i like the breakable windows but maybe replace it with non breakable windows and make it seeable like a normal window, maybe add a ladder to let people go on the roof, for the background maybe add lots trees and make it a forest environment would be nice and yeah that's pretty much all i gotta say so far it looks nice i'm liking it alot and i look forward to seeings more updates on the map, good luck!