Happy Halloween everyone!
If you haven't already noticed -- PVKII Beta 3.0 is now available for download on Steam. There are still a few bugs to fix and this is still an early release of the game, but it's here for your enjoyment!
A lot of you have already been playing, and we hope you're having an awesome time! (So far, the response has been very positive)
Please see below for a Changelog that details many of the changes in this release. There have been a lot of changes that didn't make it to the changelog due to the volume of work that went into this release, but this should give you an idea of what to expect when you load up the game!
Early Release Beta 3.0 Info
- The following changelog reflects a community voted, working pre-release Steam beta containing unfinished content in a functioning build. As this will be a frequently updated work in progress, expect minor issues, bugs, and potential exploits. If you’d like to help make an impact for the future of PVKII both in short and long term, feel free to submit any aforementioned problems you run into along the way over at our official forums.
New Class: Man at Arms
- The Man-at-Arms is the 3rd class to join the knights team, and the 9th class to join the characters of PVKII
- Brandishing a Mace and Buckler for defense, Halberd for offense, and a Crossbow for picking off enemies.
- Voiced by PVKII Contributor Weaver, of “Zegema Beach” UK, this Frenchman is known for his over-the-top taunts and hilarious demeanor.
- With his signature special move, release a six second, bean-powered fart so odorously powerful it controls the crowd around him.
New Features and General Changes
Source SDK 2013 Update
- More game updates manually released by the developers brought to you automatically by the Steampipe advantage. Make sure you have automatic updates in game properties set to “Always keep this game up to date”
- Multi-Core support
- Linux and Mac Support (functioning but still a work in progress)
Combat System Changes
- Added attack direction indicators on the HUD
- New combat control methods for your preferred level of difficulty (Mouse-based or Movement-based Manual Parry Options)
- Improved the accuracy of melee hit tracing
- The latest update brings 3 team themed announcers into the battlefield for the first time.
- Alestorm's lead singer, Christopher Bowes, recorded the Pirate announcer lines. Alestorm is a Pirate-themed heavy metal band out of Scotland with hit songs like "Keelhauled" and "Wenches & Mead." Check them out here.
- Long time PVK2 Developer and freelance extraordinaire, “Rejenorst”, was kind enough to record Viking announcer lines. You may remember Rejenorst as the man who did the original Pirate and Viking voice commands.
- James "Grand Master Jaldaboath" Fogarty, lead singer of Jaldaboath, lent us his knightly voice for this announcer. Jaldaboath is a Medieval Templar Metal band based out of the UK. Their song "Hark the Herald" is featured in the 3.0 Release Trailer. Check them out on Facebook.
- In attempts to make the game more first time friendly, our Lead programmer has implemented an attention grabbing hint system that aims to provide new players with the right information at the right time to help them make the right decisions in game.
- The hint system messages occur in several gamemodes, and are still in development
Territory Gamemode Updates
- Territory gamemode now allows mapmakers more customizable objective rewards, and their rates when they occur, when fighting for a territory zone.
- Objective rewards include: add health on capture, health regen, add armor on capture, armor regen, add special on capture, special regen, and regen if contested.
- Attack indicators
- Territory Icon Markers
- Team specific HUD
- Special bar color changed to be more noticeable
- Recharge bar for the kegs and parrots
- Several MAA achievements added
- Basic in-game statistics menu added (Under Character Info)
- Several other bug and exploit fixes
- Freezecams! Post your favorite shots to our Community Page!
Class Balance Changes and Additions
Captain, Skirmisher, Sharpshooter
- Both flintlocks and blunderbuss now use simulated projectiles, similar to rifle
- All simulated projectiles have now a quadratic trajectory rather than a linear one
- Movement speed increased slightly, to equal that of Sharpshooter, Archer, and Gestir
- Rifle can be fired in mid air
- Rifle and flintlock has increased iron sights speed
- Two-handed axe is now slightly slower
- Javelin can headshot enemies
- Can't switch attack directions while holding down attack with the axe/sword dual wield combo
- Crossbow can headshot enemies
- Crossbow damage reduced
- Claymore is now slightly faster
Man At Arms
- Crossbow can headshot enemies
- Special: Releases a fart cloud that trails the Man-at-Arms for 6 seconds. During this time, he gains a speed boost, penetrates parries, gains a damage amplification, and deals minor area-of-effect damage from the cloud.
- Pinegrove is a new booty map by Gaz, the creator of Island, and is based off of the original PVK1 map that was loved by many.
- The map takes place in a peaceful forest, so fight off your enemies and hold onto as much treasure as possible in this spectacular remake of a classic!
- Cara is a brand new territory map featuring two moving territories.
- Started by Jahhur, the creator of Frostbite and Cathedral, this beautifully crafted map has also received love from Jimonions, Lhorkan, Sir Bubble, and James Davis.
- Work as a team to capture the territories and dominate your enemies!
- Sandstorm may not be a new name to the game, but the map has been completely remade by Ubermann.
- The style and atmosphere of this desert wonder will whet your appetite as you fight to control the food, water, and weapon supplies.
- If the enemy teams won’t slow you down, the map’s dusty weather will!
- Updated, and not forgotten. New visuals, optimization improvements, and other small adjustments
- Minor bug fixes
- Visual and gameplay improvements all around
- Audio was adjusted and new audio added
- Now boasts a new eye-catching detail, foreboding either your doom or your salvation, you decide!
- Last team standing map where night has landed on the streets and merchants come out to sell their apples.
- Improved lighting and minor changes to interiors
- Visual improvements. New fall theme now beckons you to gravedanger!
- Improved lightning with halloweenish pumpkins.
- New ghostly effects and audio adjustments in sudden death.
- Updated to include latest territory gamemode code
- Minor bug fixes and final compile
- Minor bug fixes and final compile
- Minor detail additions and adjustment to courtyard balcony
- Some detail added to interior and exterior areas
- Player clipped a lot of the stairs, to improve movement flow
- Fixed some pesky areas where trinkets could not be recovered from
- Updated lighting
- Removed tw_saints and now offered for download as an “Unofficial PVK2 Classic”
A Final Note of Appreciation
- Thank you to our loyal fans, both patient and justifiably impatient, for waiting so long for new content.
- Thank you to everyone on the PVKII Developer and Beta Tester teams, and everyone involved in OctoShark Studios.
- Thank you to our countless applicants, authorized creators, and contributors who had their hand in helping us make our game.
Hotfix - 7 November 2014
- Merged a recent SDK update from Valve
- Use key no longer drops the chest
- Made crossbow headshot detection more reliable
- Updated Man-At-Arms' legs
- Added options for toggling announcer and objective markers
- Fixed screen filled with purple checkerboard in DX8 mode
- Fixed several commonly occurring client crashes
- Fixed a potential server crash
- Fixed a crash on Linux when playing certain MP3 sounds (for example win themes at the end of round and some achievement unlock sounds)
- Fixed auto team balance killing the player
- Fixed 'Mind Your Own Business' achievement
- Fixed looping of the horse hooves sound in te_cara
- Fixed Man-At-Arms' 'I have the treasure' and 'Get the treasure' voice commands
- Fixed color correction in the sudden death mode in lts_gravedanger