PVKII 3.0 Early Release Changelog

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
edited November 2014 in PVKII News & Announcements
Happy Halloween everyone!

If you haven't already noticed -- PVKII Beta 3.0 is now available for download on Steam. There are still a few bugs to fix and this is still an early release of the game, but it's here for your enjoyment!

A lot of you have already been playing, and we hope you're having an awesome time! (So far, the response has been very positive)

Please see below for a Changelog that details many of the changes in this release. There have been a lot of changes that didn't make it to the changelog due to the volume of work that went into this release, but this should give you an idea of what to expect when you load up the game!

Disclaimer

Early Release Beta 3.0 Info
- The following changelog reflects a community voted, working pre-release Steam beta containing unfinished content in a functioning build. As this will be a frequently updated work in progress, expect minor issues, bugs, and potential exploits. If you’d like to help make an impact for the future of PVKII both in short and long term, feel free to submit any aforementioned problems you run into along the way over at our official forums.

New Class: Man at Arms
- The Man-at-Arms is the 3rd class to join the knights team, and the 9th class to join the characters of PVKII
- Brandishing a Mace and Buckler for defense, Halberd for offense, and a Crossbow for picking off enemies.
- Voiced by PVKII Contributor Weaver, of “Zegema Beach” UK, this Frenchman is known for his over-the-top taunts and hilarious demeanor.
- With his signature special move, release a six second, bean-powered fart so odorously powerful it controls the crowd around him.

New Features and General Changes

Source SDK 2013 Update
- More game updates manually released by the developers brought to you automatically by the Steampipe advantage. Make sure you have automatic updates in game properties set to “Always keep this game up to date”
- Multi-Core support
- Linux and Mac Support (functioning but still a work in progress)

Combat System Changes
- Added attack direction indicators on the HUD
- New combat control methods for your preferred level of difficulty (Mouse-based or Movement-based Manual Parry Options)
- Improved the accuracy of melee hit tracing

Announcers
- The latest update brings 3 team themed announcers into the battlefield for the first time.
- Alestorm's lead singer, Christopher Bowes, recorded the Pirate announcer lines. Alestorm is a Pirate-themed heavy metal band out of Scotland with hit songs like "Keelhauled" and "Wenches & Mead." Check them out here.
- Long time PVK2 Developer and freelance extraordinaire, “Rejenorst”, was kind enough to record Viking announcer lines. You may remember Rejenorst as the man who did the original Pirate and Viking voice commands.
- James "Grand Master Jaldaboath" Fogarty, lead singer of Jaldaboath, lent us his knightly voice for this announcer. Jaldaboath is a Medieval Templar Metal band based out of the UK. Their song "Hark the Herald" is featured in the 3.0 Release Trailer. Check them out on Facebook.

Hint System
- In attempts to make the game more first time friendly, our Lead programmer has implemented an attention grabbing hint system that aims to provide new players with the right information at the right time to help them make the right decisions in game.
- The hint system messages occur in several gamemodes, and are still in development

Territory Gamemode Updates
- Territory gamemode now allows mapmakers more customizable objective rewards, and their rates when they occur, when fighting for a territory zone.
- Objective rewards include: add health on capture, health regen, add armor on capture, armor regen, add special on capture, special regen, and regen if contested.

HUD
- Attack indicators
- Territory Icon Markers
- Team specific HUD
- Special bar color changed to be more noticeable
- Recharge bar for the kegs and parrots

Achievements/Stats
- Several MAA achievements added
- Basic in-game statistics menu added (Under Character Info)

- Several other bug and exploit fixes
- Freezecams! Post your favorite shots to our Community Page!

Class Balance Changes and Additions

Captain, Skirmisher, Sharpshooter
- Both flintlocks and blunderbuss now use simulated projectiles, similar to rifle
- All simulated projectiles have now a quadratic trajectory rather than a linear one

Captain
- Movement speed increased slightly, to equal that of Sharpshooter, Archer, and Gestir

Sharpshooter
- Rifle can be fired in mid air
- Rifle and flintlock has increased iron sights speed

Huscarl
- Two-handed axe is now slightly slower

Gestir
- Javelin can headshot enemies

Berserker
- Can't switch attack directions while holding down attack with the axe/sword dual wield combo

Archer
- Crossbow can headshot enemies
- Crossbow damage reduced

Heavy Knight
- Claymore is now slightly faster

Man At Arms
- Crossbow can headshot enemies
- Special: Releases a fart cloud that trails the Man-at-Arms for 6 seconds. During this time, he gains a speed boost, penetrates parries, gains a damage amplification, and deals minor area-of-effect damage from the cloud.

New Maps

bt_pinegrove
- Pinegrove is a new booty map by Gaz, the creator of Island, and is based off of the original PVK1 map that was loved by many.
- The map takes place in a peaceful forest, so fight off your enemies and hold onto as much treasure as possible in this spectacular remake of a classic!

te_cara
- Cara is a brand new territory map featuring two moving territories.
- Started by Jahhur, the creator of Frostbite and Cathedral, this beautifully crafted map has also received love from Jimonions, Lhorkan, Sir Bubble, and James Davis.
- Work as a team to capture the territories and dominate your enemies!

te_sandstorm
- Sandstorm may not be a new name to the game, but the map has been completely remade by Ubermann.
- The style and atmosphere of this desert wonder will whet your appetite as you fight to control the food, water, and weapon supplies.
- If the enemy teams won’t slow you down, the map’s dusty weather will!

Updated Maps

bt_forgotten
- Updated, and not forgotten. New visuals, optimization improvements, and other small adjustments

lts_arena
- Minor bug fixes

lts_cathedral
- Visual and gameplay improvements all around
- Audio was adjusted and new audio added
- Now boasts a new eye-catching detail, foreboding either your doom or your salvation, you decide!

lts_town
- Last team standing map where night has landed on the streets and merchants come out to sell their apples.
- Improved lighting and minor changes to interiors

lts_gravedanger
- Visual improvements. New fall theme now beckons you to gravedanger!
- Improved lightning with halloweenish pumpkins.
- New ghostly effects and audio adjustments in sudden death.

te_tortuga
- Updated to include latest territory gamemode code
- Minor bug fixes and final compile

tw_tortuga
- Minor bug fixes and final compile

tw_fort
- Minor detail additions and adjustment to courtyard balcony

tw_frostbite
- Some detail added to interior and exterior areas
- Player clipped a lot of the stairs, to improve movement flow

tw_temple
- Fixed some pesky areas where trinkets could not be recovered from
- Updated lighting

Other Changes
- Removed tw_saints and now offered for download as an “Unofficial PVK2 Classic”

A Final Note of Appreciation
- Thank you to our loyal fans, both patient and justifiably impatient, for waiting so long for new content.
- Thank you to everyone on the PVKII Developer and Beta Tester teams, and everyone involved in OctoShark Studios.
- Thank you to our countless applicants, authorized creators, and contributors who had their hand in helping us make our game.

Hotfix - 7 November 2014

Changes
- Merged a recent SDK update from Valve
- Use key no longer drops the chest
- Made crossbow headshot detection more reliable
- Updated Man-At-Arms' legs
- Added options for toggling announcer and objective markers

Fixes
- Fixed screen filled with purple checkerboard in DX8 mode
- Fixed several commonly occurring client crashes
- Fixed a potential server crash
- Fixed a crash on Linux when playing certain MP3 sounds (for example win themes at the end of round and some achievement unlock sounds)
- Fixed auto team balance killing the player
- Fixed 'Mind Your Own Business' achievement
- Fixed looping of the horse hooves sound in te_cara
- Fixed Man-At-Arms' 'I have the treasure' and 'Get the treasure' voice commands
- Fixed color correction in the sudden death mode in lts_gravedanger

badass.jpg

Comments

• ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    edited October 2014
    Nice, but why change the old MAA special? But I like all the other class changes, will have to get used to the headshot ability thing, what weapons cant and cannot etc. THANK!!!
  • AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited October 2014
    8 :) wrote:

Nice, but why change the old MAA special? But I like all the other class changes, will have to get used to the headshot ability thing, what weapons cant and cannot etc. THANK!!!

The old special wasn't very... well, special.

76561198031989549.png

• ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    edited 1:04AM
    AGSMA wrote:

I liked it :P
  • BanokBanok Senior
    WOO!

downloading
  • ThufirThufir Senior
    Had just been looking forward to the MAA, but captain speed and headshots? Hell yeah!

Any chance of getting the updated wep/class stats for the wiki?
    Thufir - Lead Dev Competitive Combat Collective PVK Overhaul
    CannaCon.Server@Gmail.com
    http://SteamCommunit.../Soletta4Charon | Me |
    http://SteamCommunity.com/CCCPVK | Server+Group Janitor |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-eSports  | CCCPVK Database |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-Stats | Vanilla PVK Database |
    http://Discord.gg/KX5H72R | The /b of PVK |
    https://www.youtube...._4h4189JmJ3k9Q | CCCPVK YouTube |
    http://cannaconpvk.site.nfoservers.com/ToxicPlayersGoneWild  | Trolls Getting You Down? Top Kek PVK Memes |
    http://wikiloops.com/artist/kcsn| Delicate Emo Heart Sob |
    I do not accept donations please support the PVK team.

• FinlordFinlord Senior
    Setinfo name command isnt working anymore. Do anyone know is there other command to change name in game.
  • ivan55599ivan55599 Senior
    edited November 2014
    So... skirmisher berserker exists still?
    I'm somewhat disappointed, because this was the main reason why I didn't play PVKII and waited for next release.
    But nevertheless I concratulate developers for update release, even it doesn't catch me.
  • OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    Maybe change the feature that if you press E while holding a chest it makes you drop it. Kinda derpy when you want to do a speedy getaway but you keep dropping the chest since you're spamming E :/
  • JabbaJabba Senior
    edited November 2014
    OPlatypus wrote:

Maybe change the feature that if you press E while holding a chest it makes you drop it. Kinda derpy when you want to do a speedy getaway but you keep dropping the chest since you're spamming E :/

Completely agree. Please make this atleast optional!

You also forgot to include the changes to bt_island in the changelog.

Other than the "press e to drop chest" thing the patch is awesome so far. Especially love the new maps! Cara visuals turned out great!
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Thanks for the reminder about island. The changelog is still Wip and will be complete once everything is polished :)

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• edited 1:04AM
    OPlatypus wrote:

Maybe change the feature that if you press E while holding a chest it makes you drop it.

+1. I find it really annoying.
  • ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester
    I agree with that chest thing
  • AfroamericanAfroamerican Senior
    edited November 2014
    Since you guys have always been providing us with many options, could we also get them this time?

(-) I generally dislike too much information on my screen (or in my ears). People who know the mechanics should be able to turn that stuff off.

I'd like to see:
    • Announcer on/off
    • Chest zone icons on/off (I saw this on bt_island. It's really annoying.)

(-) The 'farting' special: not the design, but the function: It does Area of Effect (AoE) damage, does not need aiming, pushes enemies back (?) and also makes the Man-at-Arms faster, so he can easily 'spread' it. In a game where you usually 'exchange hits', it is really annoying that you have to back off as soon as he lets one rip.)
    (-) The yellow glowing special bar is confusing. The red one already glowed and it fit better to the whole 'HUD design'.
    (-) Chest drop 'e' -> nono
    (-) Is the gestir's 'w' spear attack now the strongest or did you just change the keys? If they have only been switched, this sucks, because, IIRC, 'w' has always been the strongest attack with most weapons...

( ) There now seem to be 'bullet impact sounds' (= melee hit sounds?), but they are really confusing, because you always turn around and think somebody hit you, but it was only a bullet...
    ( ) Compared to other weapons, the Man-at-Arm's mace sounds a bit too 'metallic'.
    ( ) The new signs on bt_island stand out a bit too much. Maybe it is intended like that? I think they shouldn't be that bright and maybe a bit more 'broken' or 'old'.
    ( ) The character skins are less bright than before. Even if you disable the 'advanced model shaers', they still look like it and I'm not the biggest fan of the dark colors. (New shadows also disabled, but it still seems like they have small 'shadows' on them.)
    ( ) Even without the advanced shaders the characters look 'darker'. I'm not sure what happened there... :unsure:

(+) The new class is good work, as always.
    (+) Multicore support and other stuff (have the real-time shadows already been in? I love how the tech guys always give us decent new...uhm...tech? :P)

(bug.png) The eyes of some of my characters seem to be missing. (Or is that some Halloween stuff? :P )
    (bug.png) ESC doesn't seem to close the selection menus. Instead, it opens the main menu - even if you are still in the selection menu.
    (bug.png) The selection menus darken the whole screen.

Thanks for the update!
  • ɉ◎ℕɉ◎ℕ Beta Tester

Since you guys have always been providing us with many options, could we also get them this time?

I'd like to see:
    • Announcer on/off

(-) I generally dislike too much information on my screen. People who know the mechanics should be able to turn that stuff off.
    (-) The 'farting' special and the yellow special bar are confusing, too much and don't really fit in well.

( ) Compared to other weapons, the Man-at-Arm's mace sounds a bit too 'metallic'.
    ( ) The new signs on bt_island stand out a bit too much. Maybe it is intended like that? I think they shouldn't be that bright and maybe a bit more 'broken' or 'old'.

(+) The new class is good work, as always.
    (+) Multicore support and other stuff (have the real-time shadows already been in? I love how the tech guys always give us decent new...uhm...tech? :P)

(bug.png) The eyes of my characters seem to be missing. (Or is that some Halloween stuff? :P )

Thanks for the update!

A lot of people seem to be bashing the Man at Arms special, I see it as being more of a support special rather than a straight up damage giving special, which is what the old MAA special was, this current one is good for defense situations. As some one who watched the streams two years ago when the MAA had the old special, I thought it seemed to work, I heard people talking about the possibility of throwing the buckler too. Having said all that I do like the new MAA special (maybe it could be a bit more damaging though :P)
    Added some more stuff.
  • Ukyo KuonjiUkyo Kuonji Captain Main Senior
    The MAA special is hilarious. No need to change it because you/others find it ridiculous (I think people expect this to be PVK2: Modern Warfare: Bad Company 2: Retribution?)
    76561198022443233.png
    Gallery of Rage
    OnqKl5B.jpg
    8ICrnFR.png :wub:
    rYEKvgb.jpg
    He1WpjQ.png <- lts_skypirates fun
    d1vRvor.png
    TudA52z.png
    8ABWxKM.jpg
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I simply enjoy the fart special, it suits his character attitude and style since he's a reference from Monty Python (Obviously) so just get use to it! oh and i think it's great aswell for those get away moments since it increases your speed
  • AkzAkz PVKII Team
    • Announcer on/off

There are no options in the UI for these yet, but in the meantime you can disable these from the console with "cl_pvk2_announcer 0" and "hud_showmarkers 0". We'll add the options to the multiplayer advanced tab in the next update.
  • JabbaJabba Senior
    Akz wrote:

There are no options in the UI for these yet, but in the meantime you can disable these from the console with "cl_pvk2_announcer 0" and "hud_showmarkers 0". We'll add the options to the multiplayer advanced tab in the next update.

and also for the e drops chest thing pwetty pwease?
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    I just get a checkerboard screen when i try to play -_-
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team

I just get a checkerboard screen when i try to play -_-

Have you tried verifying your game cache?

badass.jpg

edited November 2014
    Crazytalk wrote:

Have you tried verifying your game cache?
    I fixed the problem by switching to directx 9 directx 8.1 no longer works for some reason :(....getting kinda annoyed at the game crashes too
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    Aaaah, I really like this update! Faster Captain, weaker Archer Crossbow and the MAA is already my favorite knights class!

However, not to sound like a spoiled child, but there are still some things that I would really wish you would add to the game, like for example an updated health bar that shows exactly how much health and armor you have left. In a game that (more or less) has exact numbers as both health and damage like tf2, knowing these things would be of great help! Also, I still want to see the Blunderbuss getting an knockback and an reversed knockback if you are midair! :)

Also, I would love to have the exact numbers of health and damage that the MAA has, as well as the new crossbow damage of the archer.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best luck and keep up the good work guys!
    edited November 2014
    MrMoho wrote:

Aaaah, I really like this update! Faster Captain, weaker Archer Crossbow and the MAA is already my favorite knights class!

However, not to sound like a spoiled child, but there are still some things that I would really wish you would add to the game, like for example an updated health bar that shows exactly how much health and armor you have left. In a game that (more or less) has exact numbers as both health and damage like tf2, knowing these things would be of great help! Also, I still want to see the Blunderbuss getting an knockback and an reversed knockback if you are midair! :)

Also, I would love to have the exact numbers of health and damage that the MAA has, as well as the new crossbow damage of the archer.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best luck and keep up the good work guys!
    Tbh most of the changes i was looking at the screen going "why was that even changed?" the gun changes for example like.....why? wasn't being a hitscan a positive attribute....big pirate nerf
  • OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    MrMoho wrote:

Yes, I would also like the new stats for all the changes. I know we could look into the files and stuff, but I just don't know where to look :wacko: Maybe finally update the wiki! Lots of new players will be looking at it to find out more about the game and I don't think they'll appreciate a game where they don't have an updated wiki page.
    Yay! I really like new Yellow special meter, much better than common ugly old red one, which already used for health. :P

OPlatypus wrote:

OMG so much agree with this one. It really irritating constantly droping the chest once I try to quick pickup. :/

ivan55599 wrote:

So... skirmisher berserker exists still?

wat

AGSMA wrote:

8 :) wrote:

I liked it :P

I honestly really liked beta special of MAA as well, been wait over 4 years just to try it out... It's not as boring and generic like two absolutely same clones similar specials of gestir and huscarl, MAA's special had it's charm and was AoE bash as well, so for me it's very specially special for me, especially for it's special step back and big jump AoE bash when you activate the special. It neither was overpowered as some may claim as you still can dodge it as the maa still had to step back to perform that jump, possible to dodge, but neither worthless if you use it in right time.

Seeing the fart as special was really dissapointing. Sure it's fun for the first 1-3 usages, but then it's just gets boring and no longer hilarious, not to mention that fart is more of satirical weapon and shouldn't really damage you (while it does even destroy target's armour... That must be some really toxic french cheese maa use for repast..), and it does just look a bit too silly, even for a PVK2 theme, toilet humor just simple doesn't fit here and a bit too much... But it was just from design wise, from the gameplay wise it doesn't fit as well much, MAA is somewhat main offense and strike class of knights, while farts suits more for defense and support, it will rather make the entire class in to utility, having a status special is not very fitting for PVK2, really. I still rather have archer as main offense class, simple because his special is way too good, it's fast and easy to use, aint hard to fill as well.

To be honest, when I saw farts, I though it was some kind of joke of the devs to all those who vote for unfinished pre-release beta. It looks like devs say "So you wanted unfinished pre-release, huh?? Then have some farts!". Well, I wouldn't mind if farts stay really, BUT only if the step back and AoE slam will be back for halberd. Having multiple specials for a class would be great and wouldn't hurt much, the fart would be gladly move to minishield and mace. This way we will have a true offense class, not utility, atleast I wouldn't witness everyone farting 24/7 on every PVK2 server nowadays.
    edited November 2014
    The 'stomp' with the AoE damage fits the game better, if you ask me. What I dislike the most about the Man-at-Arms is how high he jumps and how fast he moves (or 'accelerates'?). It's not only his walking speed. It's really hard to hit most players, even not-so-good ones and on top of that the hit detection in general or atleast for the Man-at-Arms is off. (?)

PVKII has always been 'silly' and I loved it for that. Now, 'silly' doesn't mean 'stupid' and the fart special is clearly off. I really would like to know who had the idea to change the special to that...
    edited November 2014

The 'stomp' with the AoE damage fits the game better, if you ask me. What I dislike the most about the Man-at-Arms is how high he jumps and how fast he moves (or 'accelerates'?). It's not only his walking speed. It's really hard to hit most players, even not-so-good ones and on top of that the hit detection in general or atleast for the Man-at-Arms is off. (?)
    I too have noticed the hit detection is a lot weirder after the update. As for the maa special i dont mind it i love using it but it would be nice if it did a bit more
  • JabbaJabba Senior
    Is it just me or have you actually added a feature that kills you if you are alive for too long when you are about to get team switched?
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
    PVKII has always been 'silly' and I loved it for that. Now, 'silly' doesn't mean 'stupid' and the fart special is clearly off.

This is exact description of my thoughts when I first saw the farts in game.