PVKII Release Poll

CrazytalkCrazytalk TerminatorPVKII Team
edited October 2014 in PVKII News & Announcements
Greetings everyone!

We've been hard at work behind the scenes churning out content and squeezing out bugs, but we've still not hit that point where we feel the patch is ready to go public.

However! We made a promise to release the Man-at-Arms in October, so we've run into a problem. We aren't sure if we should polish up what we have and release the patch unfinished, or do we hold off until everything is ready (By end of year)?

We feel this decision should be up to our loyal fans, so we're opening a poll for you to decide the fate of our next patch. The poll will close on Friday, October 24th.

Here are just a few areas that still need to be finished:
  • Combat system changes need more testing
  • Hints/Guidance system to teach the game to new players still needs work
  • Unfinished achievements
  • Some animation/attachment issues
  • Maps still being finalized/polished -- most are about 95% ready

Do you prefer to play what we have by the end of October, or do you prefer to wait for a final product?

The choice is yours, so vote now!

badass.jpg

Comments

• OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    edited 1:05AM
    I say release the unfinished version, it would be like having a bunch of beta testers testing the new maps and class. You wouldn't be the first game to release buggy unfinished content. Maybe make another thread where people can report bugs or complain about maps and "THE MAA IS 2 OVERPOWRDD" because frankly, these types of posts will be made anyway.
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    What if it ends in a draw?
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited October 2014
    It's pretty hard to choose, if the unfinished build will be released as opt-in Steam beta I would be okay with it. Sadly, that would split the community in half though. Replacing current stable build with unfinished one would be a terrible idea. I'll pick the "wait for complete build" option since I would rather play a working game instead of buggy broken unstable piece of shirley.

EDIT: And I didn't mean by that the current dev build is that broken, just in general, do you really want to play an unstable game? Give the devs a little more time to polish it and fix the rest of the bugs.
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited October 2014
    It would be helpful to come to a decision if we could be made aware of what problems there are. What stability issues are there? Also, it would make quite a bit of sense to release it in October now and continue with a patch once stability has been improved. However, again, without knowing exactly what these stability issues are I will certainly stay on the side of releasing it this month. I'm fairly certain that much of the stability gained by switching to the Source 2013 engine will counteract any instability that exists.

I say simply make it clear that instabilities still exist upon release and then come with a patch later. October was our promised release time, so I wouldn't think that any kinks couldn't be worked out by next month.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm talking stability, not functionality as the first post points out. As I was responding mainly to Felis calling it out as a buggy broken unstable piece of shirley.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

• edited 1:05AM
    Yes! but it's coming out ON THE DAY I HAVE VACATION.
    Damn it.

but good riddance! I can't wait.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Beta Tester
    edited October 2014
    Spirrwell wrote:

However, again, without knowing exactly what these stability issues are I will certainly stay on the side of releasing it this month

If the concern is if the game breaks apart/won't open/isn't playable upon release that should not be a concern in regards to the vote. There are risks that could occur as past releases have shown but "not likely" to the degree that the "spawn deaths" that happened some patches ago. What Crazytalk has stated is pretty much what you should be going with in this decision.

To those concerned about the "wait" being years, that would not be the case here as Crazytalk has stated the main points. It would likely be before 2015.

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited October 2014
    In that case, I'm perfectly content with October.
    5GY1DFV.png

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Obviously, it is disappointing to fans that we're not in an ideal position to release 3.0 in gold form right now, but we want to give you the option of getting what you want in some form. Our release has to occur this year, and there is no doubt it will.
    The dev & tester team has pushed hard to get to where we are. Many are back in fine form. Akz, Gaz, Jimonions, Ubermann, Miggog, Crazytalk, jRocket, our awesome bunch of artists, and don't forget our amazing group of testers. We would've probably released sometime mid next year if it wasn't for rowing harder.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• Trojan•CliniqueTrojan•Clinique Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous. Senior
    Release when its finished.
  • Saias9Saias9 Senior
    Wait til its finished.
  • OrochiOrochi Senior
    edited October 2014
    I suggest you guys to wait, playing it early would just spoil you all the fun, trust me.

OPlatypus wrote:

I say release the unfinished version, it would be like having a bunch of beta testers testing the new maps and class. You wouldn't be the first game to release buggy unfinished content. Maybe make another thread where people can report bugs or complain about maps and "THE MAA IS 2 OVERPOWRDD" because frankly, these types of posts will be made anyway.
    If that was the case there would be no need for a tester's team :). And yes these types of post will be made anyway but to a lesser extent, we could probably avoid 9/10 of complaints with the final product.

Also I know how are you guys feeling right now, the hype is just too much because you guys waited long enough but that's why I'm telling you that waiting another bit is necessary to truly enjoy our efforts in making 3.0 the best PVKII update in history! you waited years guys! why ruin it for a couple of months?
    ''Felis catus: what if they would chose me or you to be a test lead''
    ''Felis catus: i said that if i get chosen, ill jump out of my window naked with boombox attached to my body and Rammstein playing''

WELL S***.

76561198018781770.png
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    edited October 2014
    End of the year?! holy moly that's a lot longer but i got plenty of other games to play so i can wait personally
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    I'd say work on it until it's finished. Right now the maps look near perfect but there are some rough edges. A two-part update would also be something plausible, since this new update brings quite a fair amount of content.

76561198031989549.png

• Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    typical
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • bERt0rbERt0r Senior
    edited October 2014
    Hand ovarr some gameplay footage first if yerr want me to release my vote! I be talking about some stream where you show what yerr wanna finish not the promo trailer :)
    Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, somthing to something, Yaarrrrrgh!
    I be pro grammar!
  • JizzlerJizzler Senior
    who would have guessed?
    lMrr3YC.gif?1
    image,PVKII,white,black.png
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Senior
    I registered just to vote!

typical

typical (reply) :)

you'll still be playing :)

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

• Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    At the time of my voting, my vote made it tie 19 = 19. I'm cool with waiting.
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    If it gets released early and its shirley blame it all on the "release it" voters
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • Noah es FrioNoah es Frio Senior
    I think Man at Arms should be released now. We've simply waited too long and it will bring back more players to the game I think. The other stuff and the fixes can wait until December. Besides, having two updates in a year would be even more exciting anyway, and give the game more of a "continuously updated" feeling.
  • shabbashabba Senior
    GsE3k.jpg
  • Ukyo KuonjiUkyo Kuonji Captain Main Senior
    Wait until it's finished. I've waited this long already, and I can continue to wait. Heck, we might get lucky and they release it a bit early because of amazing progress :)
    76561198022443233.png
    Gallery of Rage
    OnqKl5B.jpg
    8ICrnFR.png :wub:
    rYEKvgb.jpg
    He1WpjQ.png <- lts_skypirates fun
    d1vRvor.png
    TudA52z.png
    8ABWxKM.jpg
  • OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    Paladin wrote:

What if it ends in a draw?

But seriously, it seems pretty even what if it DOES end up as a draw? A round on the map crazy bridge, with all release it voters vs wait for complete update voters? :o
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    If it ends in a draw, they take some time to fix some stuff, and then release it in a slightly less-finished state than they'd like.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • Chedda CheezChedda Cheez Senior
    The wording of the announcement makes me think people are misinterpreting what "unfinished" will mean in the case of releasing early.

I think they believe it to be something like "We'll release all features of the update at various states of polish, from completely buggy and ridiculous to kinda rough."
    At least, that's what the early-release disagreements seem to be saying.

I think it is more "We'll release a good portion of the update in a well-polished state but you have to wait for the other part as well as subtle finishing touches."

If it really is the prior, then I'll vote wait. If it is the latter, then I'm all for early.
    Welcome to Cheez's PVKII Funtime Class!
    Rule #1: Have fun. [incredulous gasping ripples throughout the room]

That concludes Funtime Class! We didn't have the funding for a lengthy seminar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Stop by again for our next lesson: "Heavy Knight's Heaving Heart: How to Write Poetry for Swords!"

76561197993232256.png
    edited October 2014

If it gets released early and its shirley blame it all on the "release it" voters

Oh?

The wording of the announcement makes me think people are misinterpreting what "unfinished" will mean in the case of releasing early.

I think they believe it to be something like "We'll release all features of the update at various states of polish, from completely buggy and ridiculous to kinda rough."
    At least, that's what the early-release disagreements seem to be saying.

I think it is more "We'll release a good portion of the update in a well-polished state but you have to wait for the other part as well as subtle finishing touches."

If it really is the prior, then I'll vote wait. If it is the latter, then I'm all for early.

Precisely. I had asked about its stability and it seems quite clear that it's not simply a pile of bugs and instability. Just a matter of polish. If you build a racecar and forget to paint it or a portion of it, it's still a racecar. Here's the list of things needing to be done:
    • Combat system changes need more testing
    • Hints/Guidance system to teach the game to new players still needs work
    • Unfinished achievements
    • Some animation/attachment issues
    • Maps still being finalized/polished -- most are about 95% ready

Now here's a list of things that we're gaining:
    • Man-at-Arms
    • Multicore support
    • Multi-platform support (Linux, Mac, and Windows)
    • Announcers
    • New maps
    • Rift support (Mind the date)
    • Bug fixes
    • Enhanced water shader
    • Combat updates

These mean a lot of different things to different people I suppose. I think that the most pressing issue would be the animation attachment issues, but from my own experience with those, they shouldn't take incredibly long to sort out. Unfinished achievements however, I have no idea. I don't really think that they play as a detriment to functionality. If you think of the massive amount of TF2 achievements, they get updated all the time. So I don't see it as a big deal really to let them be finished next month or something in a patch.

To each their own I suppose.

Also, I think it's quite important to keep in mind waiting a couple months would not necessarily mean its release. It could still take longer, unforeseen issues, that sort of thing.
    5GY1DFV.png

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png

• Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I'd like him to be released this month since like the trailer says "This October" and pretty much built up everyones hype but it's kinda like breaking a promise you know "Man at Arms, coming this October" but then doesn't come out on October is kinda a disappointment but i know theres issues and stuff going on but this is just what i think about it.

Giving dates tend to not be a good idea because then there is a "commitment to fulfill this time" (in a game that is free and is done on spare time cause life/jobs/family/school/etc) and if it is not honored then there will be lots of outrage by people. Even larger games like League know this and said this as well and they work on that game for a living. Things can randomly happen as well that may have the date be another time etc. The only real thing that needs to be known is it will come~

inb4 "4 years from now" jokes

He called it, and ironically, not long after he said it, the October release was confirmed. *CONSPIRACY I SAY*

Just kidding about the conspiracy thing.
    5GY1DFV.png

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png

edited October 2014
    Combine™ wrote:

I'd like him to be released this month since like the trailer says "This October" and pretty much built up everyones hype but it's kinda like breaking a promise you know "Man at Arms, coming this October" but then doesn't come out on October is kinda a disappointment but i know theres issues and stuff going on but this is just what i think about it.

That is why I never liked the idea of giving any release date for anything unless it is very close. Gamer entitlement etc mentality especially in a free game. Same applies to other free or even paid games.

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari