Spawn protection

Dr. ODr. O Minister of RoggenSenior
edited May 2013 in Community Maps
It took me quite a while to figure out how to effectively protect a spawn like this from any type of attack:

2013052700001.jpg

Since this might be usefull to know, here is how I did it:

trigger_noattack
The standard entity that should be placed in every spawn to prevent spawn killing from a player who has manged to somehow get into a spawn. This trigger is a "must-have" especially on servers with friendly fire.

func_physbox
In order to block bullets aimed inside the spawn I made a brush-based entity called func_physbox. This entity has a flag called "Prevent bullet penetration" which I ticked. One also has to make sure that the entity does not take any damage, is not being pushed, and so on by ticking the appropriate flags/options. There is also a texture called "Block Bullets" which should (or could) be applied to this entity.
This entity now blocks all bullets, i.e. those from sharpshooters, skirmishers and captains.

trigger_push
Since the func_physbox does not block kegs/arrows/javelins/axes/parrots I made a trigger_push to simply push those projectiles away.
Now comes the tricky part about this trigger. In order for it to push away just everything except for players, one should tick the flags "Everything", "Pushables", "Physicy objects", "NPCs", "Physics debris" and, most importantly "Only clients in vehicles".
Ticking the flag "Everything" makes the trigger also push away players which would be quite inconvenient due to the fact that in order to push away kegs (and all fully charged projectiles) the push speed has to be set quite high. Now ticking the flag "Only clients in vehicles" makes the trigger push everything except for players (and bullets btw) since there are no vehicles in pvk.

trigger_remove
Since this entity has quite similar settings/flags to the trigger_push it should be also possible to use it for the same purpose and just making those projectiles disappear. But I personnaly like the idea of kegs being thrown back at those who try killing afk spawned players as well as all the other projectiles being just blown back in the direction they came from. It's also fun to see how it blows away the parrot which keeps on trying to get into the spawn ;)

I hope this might help anyone who encounters the same problems I had with the nature of my open spawns.

EDIT :

Do not use the trigger_remove!
It does not call an entity's OnKilled output, meaning that if it makes a parrot disappear, this parrot will probably never respawn because it would not be reported as dead. Also, this entity could make chests and trinkets disappear.
PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
--friendly fire
--manual block

My maps/plugins:
te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

Comments

• DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    edited 2:50PM
    You sound so smart and sophisticated, i think dr.nab here has evolved since the days of bt_outpost :D
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • OktoberOktober The Italian Connection Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    Dr. O wrote:

Do not use the trigger_remove!
    It does not call an entity's OnKilled output, meaning that if it makes a parrot disappear, this parrot will probably never respawn because it would not be reported as dead. Also, this entity could make chests and trinkets disappear.

You know, I would almost like to see this in action. It must be hilarious (at least for the first few times)
    76561197996706951.png
  • Chedda CheezChedda Cheez Senior
    These kinds of map-making details are very interesting to read.
    Almost makes me want to take a stab at it but I know I won't have the patience to see such a thing through.

Nifty work anyway!
    Welcome to Cheez's PVKII Funtime Class!
    Rule #1: Have fun. [incredulous gasping ripples throughout the room]

That concludes Funtime Class! We didn't have the funding for a lengthy seminar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Stop by again for our next lesson: "Heavy Knight's Heaving Heart: How to Write Poetry for Swords!"

76561197993232256.png