Sharpshooter Meet-N-Greet

2»

Comments

• PJIIIPJIII Axe-Wielding Nun PVKII Team, Applicant
    edited 12:53AM
    This has nothing to do with anything thus far discussed, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of my latest demo. :P

• Pache94Pache94 Donald Thumb Beta Tester
    That just made my day xD
    king_k__rool_by_biel12-d3f0vny.gif
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    I may have gotten too many kicks! Help me!
    And from what I could tell, it had absolutely everything to do with things thus far discussed.
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    What do you use for generating the backround audio? Neat effects they add indeed!
    edited June 2013
    Pache94 wrote:

That just made my day xD

:D

I may have gotten too many kicks! Help me!
    And from what I could tell, it had absolutely everything to do with things thus far discussed.

Glad you like it! Feel free to pass it on. ;)

Sharpieman wrote:

What do you use for generating the backround audio? Neat effects they add indeed!

Depends. Some of it, like the shark growl at the end (Shut up! According to movies, sharks apparently growl), is just me Michael Winslow-ing it. Haha!

A lot of it I get from freesound.org and I forget where I got the music from. I just did a search for "Royalty free music" or "free use music" or "creative commons music" or whatever. I really tried to make sure that whatever I used was copyright cool.

That demo was mixed and mastered in Adobe Audition CS6. It's pretty much my go to for anything voice related, though I still prefer other DAWs like Pro Tools or Cubase for music. But yeah, I do all my audiobooks and commercials and game voice work in Adobe.

And as an added bonus, here's a terrible quality, phone-taken picture of the inside of my recording booth! However, it should be noted that it's been MAJORLY overhauled recently. The SS recordings were done on a far more primitive setup. Haha!
    studio.jpg
    Wow nice it all royalty free clips? Brilliant work then mixing it up and making it sound pretty authentic. Thanks for that link as well! I have two more question for you What pop filter / microphone / receiver are you using currently and if you changed them recently what set were you using before? What kinda material are you lining your booth with? The reason I ask is it looks pretty professionally put together and by that I mean the fabrication of the booth. From only seeing half of the booth its enough to impress me. :icon_knight: :icon_knight:
    edited June 2013
    Sharpieman wrote:

Wow nice it all royalty free clips? Brilliant work then mixing it up and making it sound pretty authentic. Thanks for that link as well! I have two more question for you What pop filter / microphone / receiver are you using currently and if you changed them recently what set were you using before? What kinda material are you lining your booth with? The reason I ask is it looks pretty professionally put together and by that I mean the fabrication of the booth. From only seeing half of the booth its enough to impress me. :icon_knight: :icon_knight:

Thanks! Mixing and mastering only gets easier as your gear gets better. :) And yeah, I think I spent more time in college learning how to not get fried over copyright than I did actually learning how to do my job. image' />

I'm currently using a Rode NT2-A. The pop filter came bundled with the mic. The crane arm is also a Rode item, but it was ordered separately and I don't recall the model number at the moment. I have a couple of audio interfaces (I’ll get to that in a second), but the one in the picture there is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The booth is actually just an 8' by 4' plywood box Dad and I built using old theater stage set separators. Height-wise, it’s just a little taller than I am (about 7’ but about 6’8” clearance after foam). It’s lined with pyramid foam. Again, the brand name currently escapes me. The box sits in the corner of my rec room. I have a small hole drilled into the bottom so I can run cables out to the actual computer box (I keep it outside the booth so fan noise doesn’t bleed into recordings). I however keep the computer monitor in the booth (obviously) so I can read script without wasting paper.

When I recorded the SS, I used a Shure SM57. It’s not really great for voice work (I originally bought it to mic my guitar amp - a job it’s well-suited for), and requires quite a bit of sweetening to get sounding okay. The pop filter was, uh, a coat hangar covered with pantyhose. Haha! For sound insulation, I wasn’t terribly consistent back then. I either didn’t bother at all, or I recorded in closets or in shoddily erected pillow fortresses. Haha! That was run through an Alesis Multimix 16 (USB 2.0 not Firewire). I actually prefer the Alesis slightly over the Focusrite; however, the Alesis is massive and difficult to transport (I’ll get to why that’s an issue in a moment). The Focusrite is quite a bit smaller (2 tracks as opposed to 16) and, as such, I can easily carry it with me and my laptop.

Transportation is an issue because the internet at my studio is terrible, satellite internet (the price of seclusion). It’s not a big deal if I’m working independently, but if a client (Bingo in the case of PVK :P) wants to sit in on a session and direct or monitor, I have to pack up and go to my parents’ or brother’s house where I have another, admittedly not as impressive, foam setup.

Cheers! :)
    I am building a recording booth my self so your information has been a big help to me! Thanks for being so open to responses!
    Sharpieman wrote:

I am building a recording booth my self so your information has been a big help to me! Thanks for being so open to responses!

No problem! It's why I started this thread. :D

Best of luck with your booth and let me know if you have any more questions!
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    The video no longer works for me! I am currently unhappy.
    I wanted to relive the glory days.

The video no longer works for me! I am currently unhappy.
    I wanted to relive the glory days.

The retrospectives? I just checked them, and they seemed to be working, for me at least. If you're still having trouble, you could try going to my YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ21IjwfZsr-fDNpiNZBHBQ/videos
  • NiveNive Beta Tester
    The movie trailer.
    Yeah I guess I could've been more clear, saying "the glory days" probably made it seem like the older retrospectives.
    I tried watching it on your channel, but pressing play makes it instantly end and the player is ravenously assaulted with the thumbnails of various recommended and related videos.
    It's not a pleasant sight. Youtube's a pretty pleasant site, though. When it works.
    The movie trailer is working on my end. Maybe something on your end bandwagon.