The Knights of Ni - Stock Maps with Friendly Fire and Manual Blocking

UberMenschUberMensch Senior
edited October 2012 in Servers
Arthur-and-Bedevere-and-the-Knights-of-Ni-715052.jpg

Knights of Ni - Stock Maps (Friendly Fire & Manual Block)

Connection Details

Server #1

Hostname: The Knights of Ni - Stock Maps #1 [FF|MB]
Address: 81.19.216.12:27016
Slots: 18

Server #2

Hostname: The Knights of Ni - Stock Maps #2 [FF|MB]
Address: 85.234.136.96:27017
Slots: 18

Where did the servers come from?

These servers are directly inspired by The House of Dr. O.

Anyone who's played on that excellent server will know how much fun friendly fire is, and will also know how refreshing it is to be able to play all the maps available with PVKII, not just Arena & Island! The problem is, THoDO isn't always running. Due to a growing addiction to Dr. O's brand of mayhem, I decided to install SRCDS on my poor battered P4 2.8GHz webserver and have a go myself. After many complaints of lag, it was obvious the server couldn't keep up with SRCDS' need for CPU. The gameserver on my webserver was taken down and replaced with two 18-slot servers hosted by a GSP.

The lag is no more!

What kind of player would enjoy this server?

Players who don't take the game too seriously and just want to have a laugh. Friendly fire is enabled, which brings some truly comical situations to the table, but serious players may get annoyed at being shot by their own team once in a while.

Who looks after the server?

I do, and I'll probably be on the lookout for another admin or two if things take off. I also spot-check the server logs a few times a week, so anyone who's been a serious muppet will probably be banned eventually.

How do I report a bad player?

Send player reports, screenshots and demos to pvkii-server[at]ubermensch.tv. The server logs pretty much everything anyway, so I'll be able to work out if a ban is needed. Cheers!

Do you even know what you're doing?

I've quite a long history in hosting SRCDS gameservers for a number of communities, so we should be relatively safe ;)

What's next?

Steam community group? HLStatsX:CE? Second server? Let's take it slowly <3
icon_knightsofni.gif
The Knights of Ni Servers :: 81.19.216.12:27016 :: 81.19.216.12:27018

Comments

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited 2:45PM
    Good luck with the server!
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    Yeah man, I'll give it a go !
    good luck
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    Where is it located?
  • OcelotOcelot Senior
    edited September 2012
    a new multi map hosted server im down
    My Mother sent me to Vietnam to Straighten me out, I was Twelve...

ron-dancing-animated.gif
  • UberMenschUberMensch Senior
    Thanks guys, have fun!

The server's located in the UK, I'll update the OP.
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • DenshinDenshin Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I've only played this server once recently, I personally find FF a very interesting change if people take it semi-seriously and dont run around TK'ing everyone, just like on dr. o's.

Oddly though, everyone on the server seemed to have a big issue with latencies, often was there a big lagfest.

QUOTE (Trojan•Clinique @ Nov 8 2011, 08:06 PM)
    Denshin is a rather overpowered class.

QUOTE (Lucas =) @ Jan 12 2012, 08:16 AM)
    We're currently working on making Denshin less OP.
    signatureopaquesmall.png

• Sir BubblesSir Bubbles Land Lubber! Beta Tester, Applicant
    Sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out sometime. I love arena as much as the next guy but it's a nice change to see a server that actually has all of the stock maps available.
  • ZaffreZaffre Senior
    edited September 2012
    Apparently everyone hates FF .-.

Someone shot me with a blunderbuss (no one else was around) so I killed them and I got "ZAFFRE WTF"
    classic-76561198049611738.png
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys.

The lag problems have been sorted. I was originally running this server on my webhosting box, which itself is under a fair bit of load. I've now rented two gameservers (will update the OP with the IPs) and both seem to be quite popular.

When I was only running the one server, I wanted to keep FF on since barely any servers actually allow it. Since I'm running two servers now, perhaps one of them could have FF off?

Zaffre, I've found it's best to just forgive the odd team attack - sometimes it's a genuine mistake.

I'm looking into a team killing plugin which would allow victims to punish their attackers in some way, but I'm not sure if that's the direction we should be going yet. Disruptive team killing doesn't seem to be a noticeable problem at the moment.
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    edited October 2012
    I'm an admin on Royston Vasey servers and on the GunGame server on some maps FF is a very efficient way to get kills, unless you spawn in the same place as your team and then trolls just kill each other and tends to ignore the objectives, they would do anything for a kill to level up.
    So when there's someone who attacks teammates on spawn I just set him on fire or freeze him, if the problem is more than one or two players I disable FF completely.

Adding a punishment mechanism would save me the hands on approach for Team killers in a territory map.
    @MadKat where ever you are - do you still make plugins?
    I've never played gungame on PVKII, but I can imagine teamkilling can be a real problem if you have troublemakers. If it's a sourcemod plugin, perhaps change it so the kill has to be from another team and not your own?

I've put a poll on the server MOTDs to see what players (the ones who take notice of MOTDs anyway) think of friendly fire being disabled on one of the servers. At the time of writing it's 24 for yes, and 8 for no. Perhaps it's a no-brainer?
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    Cap1 wrote:

Adding a punishment mechanism would save me the hands on approach for Team killers in a territory map.
    @MadKat where ever you are - do you still make plugins?

Yes and yes. Bookmarking this.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
    Author of PVKII Randomizer
    Author of PVKII WeaponsMaster
    I'm trying to stop the servers from becoming stagnant and boring, and WeaponsMaster sounds like a good weekly event to run.
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • eggzoreggzor Senior
    UberMensch wrote:

I'm trying to stop the servers from becoming stagnant and boring, and WeaponsMaster sounds like a good weekly event to run.

I don't know about plugins/mods like that, it's a fun idea sure but at the current state of servers there's a real need for normal non-custom map servers, preferably without island/arena. Especially in europe where the server choices are horrific!
    edited October 2012
    The PVKII gamers know how they want to spend their fun time - if a large majority want to spend it playing PVKII's lovely maps with FF on, then that's a group of people we can cater for already. Another group may want something different once in a while but with the same PVKII environment (we can host a WeaponsMaster event one night a week etc). Yet another group might like to see their names at the top of a leader board (we can install HLStatsX:CE).

Obviously we can't have something for everyone, which is why I'm trying to gauge interest via polls in my MOTD.

Also the poll is currently standing at 50 people wanting one of the servers to have FF disabled, and 14 people wanting FF to stay enabled on both. I think I can see where that's going!
    icon_knightsofni.gif
    Just a quick one before I go to bed, I've started collecting gameplay stats (number of joins to pirates, number of parrot kills, number of rounds won by knights etc) out of interest. It's showing some pretty logical trends, such as pirates having the most deaths on both servers (makes sense as they have the least health/armour).

I'm going to add as many stat counters as I can think of, mostly just for fun but also to analyse gameplay trends.
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • eggzoreggzor Senior
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps this isnt the place to post this but i dont know where else.
    This guy desperately needs a perma-ban.
    TKing, insulting, reconnecting before he dies. He does it all!

WhyAllwaysMe?
    STEAM_0:0:28500331
    http://steamcommunit...561198017266390

http://www.vismalae.com/tk1.dem

http://www.2shared.c...q8ahRV/tk1.html (alternate link)
    Just had a chance to look at your demo, He's banned from both servers until further notice.
    icon_knightsofni.gif
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    UberMensch wrote:

Where did the servers come from?

These servers are directly inspired by The House of Dr. O.

I like that and I'm glad people like my idea of ff and mb enforcement to that extend that they host their own server :D

I'll give it a go, nice server name btw ;)

The House of Dr. O will be up again during the next week, let's make pvk more hardcore! Ni!
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

You started something of a following now, there's lots of players who enjoy the different gameplay dynamic of manual blocking and friendly fire :) Cheers, I've always wanted to have a group of servers using the Knights of Ni name, and PVKII is just right for that!

Server news: I've recruited another admin to help me out. His ingame name's Velociraptor and he's an all-round great guy.

Moving forward, I'm going to be thinking about running game nights on certain evenings of the week (WeaponsMaster on Tuesday evenings for example). Nothing's set in stone yet, but I'm very open to suggestions!
    icon_knightsofni.gif