PVKII "GunGame"

MadKatMadKat Senior
edited 7:32PM in Scripting
Just putting a feeler out for another PVKII plugin. I always have a blast when playing GunGame for Counter-Strike and could see it being pretty amusing in PVKII.

The basic idea is that you start with a weapon. Once you get a kill (or two, or three, or w/e), the weapon goes away and you get the next one in line. The first person to kill with all the weapons wins. This would be pretty chaotic with the limitations of weapons like the blunderbuss, crossbow, keg and parrot. It may take some work to get those to not suck.

In order to make the gameplay even, I think I would make all of the classes have the same HP, armor and move speed. So you can pick your team and class, but you'll be equal to everyone else.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Anyone love the idea? Anyone hate it?
Programmer, Swashbuckler
Author of PVKII Randomizer
Author of PVKII WeaponsMaster

Comments

• SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    edited 7:32PM
    I think it sounds fun!
  • Blood-WiperBlood-Wiper Vicious Psycho Banned
    I quit playing css after my favorite gungame server got hacked and shutdown, and i will love to see this in pvk.
    Little bit banned
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    It wouldn't really be the same as CS because the weapons aren't distinctly better than others, like with CS where they cost more etc.

That being said, it would surely be a blast. All I ask is that Parrot/fist be the last weapon
    <!--quoteo(post=193814:date=Aug 9 2010, 08:03 PM:name=Koba
    Little bit banned
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    I need some kind of clever title. Open to suggestions.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    Final weapon before you win should be the hook/parrot. That would be great.

But do you have an example list of weapons from first to final as the person who gets x kills with each weapon wins.
    "Sometimes its better to stay silent and let people think that you are an idiot, rather than speaking out and actually prove that you are one." - Someone
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    "Gunpowdergame".
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    "Weapons Master"
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    QUOTE (ZinuX @ Aug 10 2010, 03:35 PM) »
    "Weapons Master"

^This
    "Sometimes its better to stay silent and let people think that you are an idiot, rather than speaking out and actually prove that you are one." - Someone
    It should be a lts gungame, with hook pro feature.
    Little bit banned
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    Any thoughts about stealing levels?

I'm considering giving players a butterknife for the blunderbuss, pistol, crossbow, javelin, throwing axe and keg levels. But you would have to get the kill with your assigned weapon for it to count. Maybe getting a kill with the butterknife refills your ammo.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    It's right about 3:41pm my time right now. I intend to have the Randomizer turned off on my server and the first play test of Weapons Master enabled by about 6:00pm. It ought to be fairly stable, but if anyone can help uncover bugs or crashes, that would be very useful.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    edited August 2010
    QUOTE (se05239 @ Aug 10 2010, 02:46 AM) »
    Final weapon before you win should be the hook/parrot. That would be great.

I already said that

QUOTE (MadKat @ Aug 9 2010, 09:42 PM) »
    I need some kind of clever title. Open to suggestions.

SwordGame?

QUOTE (MadKat @ Aug 10 2010, 10:34 AM) »
    Any thoughts about stealing levels?

I'm considering giving players a butterknife for the blunderbuss, pistol, crossbow, javelin, throwing axe and keg levels. But you would have to get the kill with your assigned weapon for it to count. Maybe getting a kill with the butterknife refills your ammo.

I don't think this is a good idea because the butterknife is easily powerful enough to beat somebody in close combat, if you have any sort of mild advantage, either skill-wise or situation-based

Besides, it would be funnier to run around without your gun loaded trying to escape combat long enough to push r
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    It's stable and running on my server. Could use some more testers tomorrow. I still have some things to smooth out.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    edited August 2010
    I'll see if I have some time to spare to join it and try.

Edit: I tried it now and its rather challenging, I'll have to write, but it feels like all classes don't have the same health/speed/armor values as Skirmishers go down quickly and Heavy Knights take a while to wear down.
  • skenvoskenvo senior
    Yah i just got back from playing it, and its fun! I just think the arrangement of what weapons you get should be changed. Oh and i also noticed some glitches. When you use the skirmisher thrust and kill someone with it, sometimes you won't be able to turn left or right. This also happend to me with the gestirs special. I think its because the game doesn't know what to do when your in the middle of a special and your weapon changes.

And a question, what happens when the person with the parrot is actually able to kill someone with the bird? does the game end?
    Very fun, but was too hectic with many people.
    useful things for me to copy-paste at my leisure OR ELSE:
    It's Its so he's is IS Is
    S S S s ss s SS
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    I did also get that odd glitch that I couldn't turn, but I could not stop running forward either...
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    Sounds awesome! I'll try this later!
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    edited August 2010
    I saw the glitch with the specials yesterday. When you kill someone, I do get some information about if they died by a special. I'll see what I can do about it. So far it seems to present with the cutlass, spear, vikingshield and twosword.

When the person with the parrot gets a kill, the game currently ends instantly. There needs to be an end of game timer for congrats and whatnot. That should get done today.

Hectic is pretty much what I was aiming for. It didn't really get above five people while I was play-testing. I could see ~12 players being a ton of fun.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    QUOTE (MadKat @ Aug 11 2010, 04:07 PM) »
    Hectic is pretty much what I was aiming for. It didn't really get above five people while I was play-testing. I could see ~12 players being a ton of fun.

I played earlier today 4v4v4 on Forgotten. Everyone went deathmatching, but no one won through weapon kills...
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    QUOTE (se05239 @ Aug 11 2010, 09:38 AM) »
    I played earlier today 4v4v4 on Forgotten. Everyone went deathmatching, but no one won through weapon kills...

Hrm. Yeah. I need to change the server to be more weapon victory friendly. Longer map timers, higher grail goals, etc.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    edited August 2010
    Grail maps would be the choice of gamemode for GunGame, as you do just kill eachother with respawn.

Edit: GunGame + Booty is bad. People either protect their chests, or run after the other teams' chests. No real killin'.
    Also, I really hate playing with 200+ in ping. Butterknives suddenly get the range of the Gestir spear...
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    QUOTE (se05239 @ Aug 11 2010, 09:58 AM) »
    Grail maps would be the choice of gamemode for GunGame, as you do just kill eachother with respawn.

Edit: GunGame + Booty is bad. People either protect their chests, or run after the other teams' chests. No real killin'.
    Also, I really hate playing with 200+ in ping. Butterknives suddenly get the range of the Gestir spear...

I agree. The problem with grail is that someone starts getting really unkillable. I'm thinking of subtracting move speed from the grail carrier each time he gets a kill, so you can't just plow through the whole game in one go.

Sorry about the ping. My server is a far cry from in a data center. It's in the corner of my apartment. Once I iron out more of the bugs, I'll make it available for download so it can be run on better servers. How is your ping on your new server?
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    edited August 2010
    I got a plain 50-80, which is normal for me. My server is private, as I only use it for friend battles within the Steam group I am in.
    But the Gameserver staff has been really helpful, quick response time and they even installed Sourcemod for me. Great bunch.

Edit: Would not Last Team Standing be a good choice of gamemode for GunGame? As your level/weapon are saved when you respawn.
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    All of the game modes work to at least some extent. I think LTS and HG are the best. A objective map without objectives would be the most ideal.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
  • JoshikumakoJoshikumako Senior
    When can we download this gungame mode?
    Mi1zkf9.gif
  • MadKatMadKat Senior
    I never did make it available, did I? The overall response from a lot of players was one of, "Meh".

Let me see if I can get some time together to wrap it up and get it up for download.
    Programmer, Swashbuckler
    Well "meh" was becuase there weren't any cool mario sounds and it had bugs!
    Little bit banned
  • JoshikumakoJoshikumako Senior
    QUOTE (MadKat @ Nov 5 2010, 01:55 AM) »
    I never did make it available, did I? The overall response from a lot of players was one of, "Meh".

Let me see if I can get some time together to wrap it up and get it up for download.

Please do ^^ I will run it on my server biggrin.gif
    Mi1zkf9.gif
  • anemoneanemone Senior
    Call it unscrupulous badger.. weaponswitch
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'